NASCAR Death Bed

I wonder what percentage of automobiles sold in North America are manufactured in Michigan?

About 60k attended the coke 400. About he dame from last year. Place holds 101.5k

Watching the All Star Game tonight and with the Open Championship starting on Thursday you keep hearing about their respective sports decline. I think NASCAR, Golf and Baseball all have this in common, they started falling apart as smartphones became more prevalent. Society became much faster paced and untimed sports have taken a major hit in the last decade. IMO it’s time for NASCAR to run 350 mile/lap races, or schedule 400 mile/laps to end at 3 hrs. Some obviously (Daytona 500, Darlington, Bristol, Coke 600) stay but I think this needs to be adopted. F1 has done a much better job modernizing than we have

Watching the All Star Game tonight and with the Open Championship starting on Thursday you keep hearing about their respective sports decline. I think NASCAR, Golf and Baseball all have this in common, they started falling apart as smartphones became more prevalent. Society became much faster paced and untimed sports have taken a major hit in the last decade. IMO it’s time for NASCAR to run 350 mile/lap races, or schedule 400 mile/laps to end at 3 hrs. Some obviously (Daytona 500, Darlington, Bristol, Coke 600) stay but I think this needs to be adopted. F1 has done a much better job modernizing than we have
Baseball is doing fine, NASCAR isn't. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/tag/mlb-ratings/

Kentucky Speedway’s Action Alley lives up to its name, draws lively crowd of college-age students
This is the second year that the Kentucky Speedway has offered college students between the age of 18 and 25, a chance to experience the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Quaker State 400 without breaking their budget.

For $30, eligible millennials secured a campsite on location at this year’s race with admission to Action Alley situated right along Turn One. Other amenities included a great view of the race, tailgating activities, live music prior to and after the race and $2 beers.

Action-Alley-view.jpg

http://www.nkytribune.com/2018/07/k...e-draws-lively-crowd-of-college-age-students/

Kentucky Speedway’s Action Alley lives up to its name, draws lively crowd of college-age students
This is the second year that the Kentucky Speedway has offered college students between the age of 18 and 25, a chance to experience the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Quaker State 400 without breaking their budget.

For $30, eligible millennials secured a campsite on location at this year’s race with admission to Action Alley situated right along Turn One. Other amenities included a great view of the race, tailgating activities, live music prior to and after the race and $2 beers.

http://www.nkytribune.com/2018/07/k...e-draws-lively-crowd-of-college-age-students/

Wow that's an awesome deal, sign me up!

My favorite statement in the article is that NASCAR is trying to “disengage” from a title sponsor. BS...lipstick on a pig. I remember when Brian France was bragging that the next title sponsorship would land a 10 year, BILLION dollar sponsorship. Spin, spin, spin.

It has been reported that these leisure areas at tracks are real good money makers, selling drinks, food etc.

It has been reported that these leisure areas at tracks are real good money makers, selling drinks, food etc.

They were but the revenue for drinks, food and merchandise dropped to about $6 million down 27%.

$658 million in renovations

With the announcement Thursday that International Speedway Corporation will renovate the infield at Talladega Superspeedway at a cost of about $50 million, it marked the fourth major project ISC has done on one of its tracks since 2013.

Daytona International Speedway’s upgrades were estimated at $400 million for redoing the frontstretch grandstands, suites, concourses and such.

Upgrades at ISM Raceway (Phoenix) are expected to cost $178 million. That will include additional stands, a new infield fan area, a pedestrian tunnel to the infield and more. The project will be completed before this fall’s races.

Talladega Superspeedway announced upgrades that will cost about $50 million that will include new garages for Cup teams, a new fan area between the garages that allows easy access for fans to that area and a new victory lane, among other upgrades

Richmond Raceway will spend an estimated $30 million that features new Cup garages that will have a fan viewing walkway, a fan area, a new media center and a new pedestrian tunnel. That project is set to be completed in September.

NASCAR's death bed doesn't help that their fans scream doom and gloom more so than every other form of sport/motorsport.

Sure it will, what happens when the current tv contract expires and the title sponsor doesn't resign? No big name sponsor will be stupid enough to fork over dollars.
Sure it wont. TV numbers still bring in 3-6 million viewers per race which is Very strong compared to other major sports not named football. You are dreaming if you think its gonna die.

I'm happy to see Cummins come back to NASCAR, but these little toe-dipping sponsorship exercises don't do much change the narrative. While having 36 different primary sponsors for each car might pay the bills, it doesn't move the sport forward very much. None of these one, two, three race sponsors are making NASCAR a BIG part of their marketing footprint the way major primary sponsors did in the past, and that carries NASCAR further away from mainstream consciousness.

Back
Top Bottom