NASCAR Death Bed

Anyone want to make a wager on next year’s attendance/TV ratings once real fans get a taste of the 2019 rules package?

anybody care, I'm not going to make a dime either way and I'm sure not going to continue my interest in the sport.

I think people are making a huge deal of nothing. All this talk of throttle off time, I’ve been watching sprint car racing my whole life and they run wide open the entire race.

I like the move personally to 550 HP with potential slingshots via the brake ducts. Engineering has ran away with it in F1 and NASCAR IMO, despite NASCAR embracing lower downforce the aero design of the cars is so detrimental to a trailing car. It’s important to lessen this as much as possible for entertainment purposes

I thought the same thing watching the Xfinity race at Indianapolis this year, most watchers won't know dip except it was fun to watch. They were racing their butts off.

I think people are making a huge deal of nothing. All this talk of throttle off time, I’ve been watching sprint car racing my whole life and they run wide open the entire race.

I like the move personally to 550 HP with potential slingshots via the brake ducts. Engineering has ran away with it in F1 and NASCAR IMO, despite NASCAR embracing lower downforce the aero design of the cars is so detrimental to a trailing car. It’s important to lessen this as much as possible for entertainment purposes
They absolutely DO NOT run wide open through the corners. The time off the throttle has already changed from prior performance packages.
My comment was with regard to whether NASCAR is making a positive decision with the 2019 package. I think NASCAR is adding lead to their weight belt and the proposed changes will result in further disinterest in the sport.
Did you want to make a wager? The loser donates to the website.

I don't have a problem with the direction, never have
You don’t have a problem with the sport dying. Eventually we will be watching NASCAR on some obscure channel as the product loses it’s marketable value.
I’m concerned about the future of the sport.

They absolutely DO NOT run wide open through the corners. The time off the throttle has already changed from prior performance packages.
My comment was with regard to whether NASCAR is making a positive decision with the 2019 package. I think NASCAR is adding lead to their weight belt and the proposed changes will result in further disinterest in the sport.
Did you want to make a wager? The loser donates to the website.

Yes they do because I was talking about sprint cars

Anyone want to make a wager on next year’s attendance/TV ratings once real fans get a taste of the 2019 rules package?

The more I have thought about it I’m not sure there is anyway to tell how the 2019 rules will impact viewing and attendance. Well that is unless there huge uptick or a big drop but I think ratings and attendance will still drop but not as much.

If this happens the NASCAR detractors will still be able to crow because NASCAR will still be losing market share. The apologists and people that like the new rules will be able to say that the new rules are a big hit because NASCAR is losing market share at a slower pace.

I like to think of the above scenario as something for all extremists :)

If NASCAR goes by the wayside, so be it I guess, World of Outlaws highlight videos have been really entertaining to watch, I'm sure I could pony up for some DirtVision on occasion.

If NASCAR goes by the wayside, so be it I guess, World of Outlaws highlight videos have been really entertaining to watch, I'm sure I could pony up for some DirtVision on occasion.

I wouldn't have to pay the ransom for upper tier cable anymore :p

Hell no they do not. Huh?

410 and 360 winged sprints do not run wide open with full throttle at hardly any tracks they compete on, and even on the highest banked, largest tracks are usually breathing the throttle to turn the car. Non-winged sprints are never able to run wide open.

You'd have to be watching a low powered sprint car division on a large track for this to be true.

Last edited:
NBC and NBCSN are gearing up for a long slog through the NHL regular season... glitzy productions with heavy promotion... although ratings are comparable to Xfinity Series morning practice or qualifying sessions. So I think those who relish NASCAR's imminent demise will be disappointed.

There are plenty of problems facing the business of NASCAR, and all motorsports, in the 21st century. But if being a fan of hard core racing makes me an "apologist," I plead guilty. It's been a while since I was called that on a near-daily basis, but oh well...

Anybody catch the shots of the grandstands yesterday in Kansas? Wow, were they looking e-m-p-t-y.

Can't wait for someone to post that everyone was going to the bathroom or at the snack bar...ROFLMAO. Wonder what the TV ratings will be for the race?

I know it wasn’t a full house yesterday but all things considered I thought it was a good crowd.

Watch this and you'll see how "full" the stands were during the race. Stop it and run it backwards and you'll understand....

We could roll back the rules to what they were 30 years ago and build cars that resembled stock and the crowds are not returning. I am not giving NASCAR a pass on how they have done things. In fact things could be better if they managed better but due to the car culture changing market share was always going to shrink.

Watch this and you'll see how "full" the stands were during the race. Stop it and run it backwards and you'll understand....

You want NASCAR to die, don't you?

Bad timing as this is almost like a stretch for folks who get up in between stages. The stands is what it is at this point.

You want NASCAR to die, don't you?

Bad timing as this is almost like a stretch for folks who get up in between stages. The stands is what it is at this point.

It isn't between stages. It is the 22 winning the first stage. You know, one of the most exciting laps in the race. Isn't that why there is stage racing?

It isn't between stages. It is the 22 winning the first stage. You know, one of the most exciting laps in the race. Isn't that why there is stage racing?
Every race I've been to this year, unless there's a close lead battle, people start getting up with 15 to go in a stage

Every race I've been to this year, unless there's a close lead battle, people start getting up with 15 to go in a stage

Then NASCAR has misjudged their fans and how important stage racing is to them. Thanks for providing insight into why the ratings and attendance to the races continue to fall...LOL. Gawd, that classic!

Don't bother. He has zero constructive or competent ideas on how to improve any of the downward trends he celebrates.

That Skoalbandit guy who used to post here also tended to fixate on.the negatives, but he sure knew the sport a lot better and was fun to go back and forth with.

NBC and NBCSN are gearing up for a long slog through the NHL regular season... glitzy productions with heavy promotion... although ratings are comparable to Xfinity Series morning practice or qualifying sessions. So I think those who relish NASCAR's imminent demise will be disappointed.
Don't know if this is okay for this thread or if needs to be moved to the sports TV ratings thread but this is a bit of an exaggeration. NBC pays less than half ($200M/annually) for the NHL than what they do for NASCAR ($420M/annually). Regular season games on cable typically average in the 350K area, although they dropped in the 2017-2018 season to 302K (93 games and they did not air anything against their competing Olympic coverage). In comparison, one Cup qualifying session (Talladega) has hit over 300K since the playoffs started. OTA games averaged 1.3M over 12 games for 417K over 105 games in the regular season. The playoffs averaged 1.45M over 84 games, including 1.98M for the conference finals and 4.8M for the Stanley Cup Final, and that 1.45M was good for the second-best playoffs overall since 1997. For close to 200 games at $200M the value is probably not bad.

Of course, neither the NHL nor NASCAR are on the brink of death at the moment so I forget why I even typed all of that.

The ratings don't bother me nearly as much as the stands do at some of these places... not a good look for TV to be empty in person.

The ratings don't bother me nearly as much as the stands do at some of these places... not a good look for TV to be empty in person.
Yeah, the TV ratings aren't necessarily as much of an indicator of popularity as live crowd size is. Times are changing so TV isn't as watched as it once was, but less live crowd means people aren't as eager to spend their money on the sport as they used to be.

Yeah, the TV ratings aren't necessarily as much of an indicator of popularity as live crowd size is. Times are changing so TV isn't as watched as it once was, but less live crowd means people aren't as eager to spend their money on the sport as they used to be.
My peeps use the sport as a backdrop to a festive weekend of gluttonous debauchery.
I’d like to see the silly mismanagement take a rest for at least one year.

Don't bother. He has zero constructive or competent ideas on how to improve any of the downward trends he celebrates.

That Skoalbandit guy who used to post here also tended to fixate on.the negatives, but he sure knew the sport a lot better and was fun to go back and forth with.

I'd say about a backmarker K&N level on the hierarchy of things. Doesn't take much to parrot seat sniffing numbers and phone in TV ratings. definitely not here for the racing

GMS racing Expands for Martinsville to 6 trucks

Building a sixth entry for the race – Peters makes five GMS trucks and the No. 52 of Stewart Friesen is a GMS alliance member – was made possible through GMS Fabrication. The organization has a fabrication shop on its campus in Statesville, North Carolina.

“Ever since I started at GMS Racing, having a complete fabrication and body shop on our campus was always my goal,” said GMS president Mike Beam. “I am thankful for our owner, Maury Gallagher, that allowed me to start and build GMS Fabrication into what it is today. You don’t see many small teams that have a complete fabrication shop on their campus.

https://racer.com/2018/10/22/peters-and-gms-together-for-martinsville/

I'd say about a backmarker K&N level on the hierarchy of things. Doesn't take much to parrot seat sniffing numbers and phone in TV ratings. definitely not here for the racing

Excuse me, - to you and to your pal (who I have on ignore) that you quoted...

I am here for the racing. I enjoy NASCAR. However, it does take much to set both of you off when you fail to see that if your fan base looks like this

https://static01.nyt.com/images/201...-Nascar-image5-jumbo.png?quality=90&auto=webp

and the sport isn't doing anything to change that look then it will go the way of the dodo bird. Our society doesn't look like that anymore and the things that are important to 50+ year old white guys won't matter in 10 years. The sport has to evolve to bring in fans that are more diverse and it isn't doing it. The TV ratings and the stands show that.

My apologies if the above offends you both, but it is true.

Last edited:

I am here for the racing. I enjoy NASCAR. However, it does take much to set both of you off when you fail to see that if your fan base looks like this

https://static01.nyt.com/images/201...-Nascar-image5-jumbo.png?quality=90&auto=webp

and the sport isn't doing anything to change that look then it will go the way of the dodo bird....
Granted, a typical Nascar crowd is not ready for the runway at a Milan fashion show, but what's the purpose of the picture of a dirt track grandstand at a sprint car show?

Having a rational discussion about the future of NASCAR or what attendance and ratings mean is impossible in this format.

Some people gleefully bash nascar hoping it goes belly up and others talk about the record number of sponsors and other things that obscure real meanings.

If you don’t like nascar today you probably won’t like it next year or the year after or the year after that.

NASCAR is losing market share each year but is not going out of business.

and the sport isn't doing anything to change that look then it will go the way of the dodo bird. Our society doesn't look like that anymore and the things that are important to 50+ year old white guys won't matter in 10 years. The sport has to evolve to bring in fans that are more diverse and it isn't doing it. The TV ratings and the stands show that.

My apologies if the above offends you both, but it is true.

Respectfully disagree here. Look at Golf and Soccer. Both are highly diverse global sports and neither of them do as well as NASCAR in the US and both have their challenges. And what about Indycar and F1? Both are highly diverse and have a very small following in the US.

Nascar's challenges lie in the on-track product being not relate-able to the audience. Most drivers have been whitewashed by sponsors (and NASCAR) in the past decade so they no longer have any personalities. It's hard to relate to someone or something that doesn't have a personality. One could argue that the cars don't have any personality and so no one can relate to those either. The cars do not represent anything stock, or on a showroom floor and they all look the same on the track so how can an audience member relate to something they have never driven and will never have a chance to drive? This could explain the issue with F1 and indycar in the US. It could also explain why IMSA is becoming more popular.

Back
Top Bottom