NASCAR Death Bed

I quit going because the last time I went it cost me $500.00 for just me to go to the races and stay one night in a motel.
Look at the prices for lodging in Daytona today vs what it is for speed / bike weeks.
If not for a friends SIL who worked for a travel mag and got us places to stay for obscenely low rates we never could have gone to Daytona as much as we did.
Friends winter in Stewart, just south of Daytona, and say restaurants have different, read that as more $$, menus.
Not a thing nascar can do about those prices. Ticket prices aren't the real killer, it's all the other costs associated.

Jeff Gluck said that Miami has sold out there 46,000 seat grandstands for 5 years in a row.

Look at the prices for lodging in Daytona today vs what it is for speed / bike weeks.
If not for a friends SIL who worked for a travel mag and got us places to stay for obscenely low rates we never could have gone to Daytona as much as we did.
Friends winter in Stewart, just south of Daytona, and say restaurants have different, read that as more $$, menus.
Not a thing nascar can do about those prices. Ticket prices aren't the real killer, it's all the other costs associated.

That may be true now but at the time I went I could not buy single event tickets. I had to buy season tickets even though I didnt want to go see the indy race. They now sell single event tickets.

Funny you should mention them. I keep thinking about an interview in Playboy that I stumbled across in 2008 (I had to look that up) with Dana White in which he predicted that in five year the UFC would be bigger than the NFL and the World Cup. I also think about a time when on a given weeknight you could surf across the cable TV channels and find as many as four different wrestling shows on. Today, I can't even remember the last time I surfed across a wrestling show. (I don't watch wrestling, mma or boxing, as I find them all barbaric and stupid). It's funny how things come and go. It saddens me that it has to a certain extent happened to NASCAR, but I guess we should have known it was going to happen. If you took away gambling and fantasy, I wonder how how much the NFL would shrink too.

While they don't have the ratings they use to in the late 90s, early 00s WWE is still doing really well. They pull in 70k for WrestleMania every year and just made a billion dollar television deal with FOX. I'm sure we'll be seeing the advertisements a lot during the races next year.

I just don't get the fascination in watching 2 people beat the crap out of each other. But, I guess a lot of people don't understand why someone would love to watch cars going around a track for 500 miles and ending up at the same place they started...or 2 cars racing side by side in a straight line for 1320 ft...or 1000 ft for nitro.:)

I think I have heard most of these uttered here, some of them more than once. :D
DsZH6RIUwAAi1t8.jpg:large

nah I was thinking that yourself under many different aliases have uttered almost all of them at least once. :D:p It is a very good gauge as far as I am concerned and it fits right in here i thought. It is like deathbedder kryptonite :D:p

You are being extra grumpy today! Happy Thanksgiving!!

I'm more interested to see the ratings and attendance in 2019.

No Dale Jr retiring, no Jeff Gordon retiring, no Tony Stewart retiring. Presumably no points changes for the 3rd year in a row. TV networks have finally reached a bit of consistency now after starting in 2015.

If ratings & attendance stay flat compared to 2018, I think things are in alright shape.

I'm more interested to see the ratings and attendance in 2019.

No Dale Jr retiring, no Jeff Gordon retiring, no Tony Stewart retiring. Presumably no points changes for the 3rd year in a row. TV networks have finally reached a bit of consistency now after starting in 2015.

If ratings & attendance stay flat compared to 2018, I think things are in alright shape.
I expect them to keep on dropping, unless this new rules package is above and beyond anything Nascar has done before, which I don't see happening.

I think 2019 will be more of the same for Nascar as the malaise that envelopes the series shows no signs of reversing. IMO choking the cars down and making them flat foot wont add new fans but it will alienate more current ones.

I think 2019 will be more of the same for Nascar as the malaise that envelopes the series shows no signs of reversing. IMO choking the cars down and making them flat foot wont add new fans but it will alienate more current ones.
Yes....totally agree, but maybe Nascar needs to fall to an all time low before it will get better.

Has anyone considered the idea that new fans are being made every season just not at the rate older fans have left? Not all old fans left because they didn't like Nascar, many can't get the races in old age homes. :D

Has anyone considered the idea that new fans are being made every season just not at the rate older fans have left? Not all old fans left because they didn't like Nascar, many can't get the races in old age homes. :D
True, but there are not enough new fans, just as there ae not enough old fans. Nascar needs to generate more interest.

It sounds like Sunoco will no longer need to be affiliated with Nascar based on Sterns comments. I get the deal with Speedway and IMS as Indiana is littered with those retailers. However I am not sure if there is a national fuel retailer that would step in to Nascar if/when Sunoco bows out.

No title sponsors and no official fuel? Could be a trend.

can't read well, but that isn't a surprise :D:p

It could open the door for other companies as well, but I'd give it another year before NASCAR starts plugging Speedway into pit-stops...lol

It won't roll off the tongue as well though saying Speedway.

It could open the door for other companies as well, but I'd give it another year before NASCAR starts plugging Speedway into pit-stops...lol

It won't roll off the tongue as well though saying Speedway.

Is Speedway a national chain? I don’t recall seeing them in many of my travels.

Is Speedway a national chain? I don’t recall seeing them in many of my travels.

Yes they are a national chain in the mid-west over into the East Coast. They have been evolving as a company, their stations have gotten better over the past couple of years.

I think they are owned by Marathon.

Has anyone said Sunoco is out of Nascar, or when? I didn't see anything in the Adam Stern tweets to indicate "Speedway" would be involved with Nascar... maybe I missed that.

I know that Shell, Exxon, and maybe others have been prevented from promoting their fuels in Nascar during the Sunoco tenure. But I doubt that matters to the deathbed spin doctors who fish these waters every day.

Has anyone said Sunoco is out of Nascar, or when? I didn't see anything in the Adam Stern tweets to indicate "Speedway" would be involved with Nascar... maybe I missed that.

I know that Shell, Exxon, and maybe others have been prevented from promoting their fuels in Nascar during the Sunoco tenure. But I doubt that matters to the deathbed spin doctors who fish these waters every day.

No deathbeding here, just a novice inferring on what could be possibly changing in the future. There is a lot more news Stern has posted today as well about NASCAR's new sponsorship structure.

Very interesting days ahead for NASCAR.

No deathbeding here, just a novice inferring on what could be possibly changing in the future. There is a lot more news Stern has posted today as well about NASCAR's new sponsorship structure.

you weren't the problem, at any rate I read all of that also, it does sound interesting.

Speedway is the second largest convenience chain in the U.S. close to 4000 locations in 35 states.

Yes they are a national chain in the mid-west over into the East Coast. They have been evolving as a company, their stations have gotten better over the past couple of years.

I think they are owned by Marathon.

Sounds like they would be a good candidate if Sunoco leaves.

Based on what Stern reported it doesn’t make sense to be involved with Nascar if they are primarily wholesalers. However that doesn’t mean Sunoco is going anywhere. They maybe happy spending ad dollars to attract wholesale business

Interesting is an interesting choice of words!

76 left racing because they were no longer a national brand. I wonder if Shell would be a good choice. They seem to be about everywhere. Even as huge as Exxon Mobil and Chevron are, we don't have their stations in our neck of the woods. After years of basically no presence in our area, Sunoco had made a BIG comeback in our area the last ten years or so. Shell, Marathon and Speedway are the heavy hitters in our area, along with Sunoco, and BP. We also have some strong local chains and then Murphy (Walmart) and Costco sell a lot of gas here.

you weren't the problem, at any rate I read all of that also, it does sound interesting.

Speedway is the second largest convenience chain in the U.S. close to 4000 locations in 35 states.
Speedway is some of the cheapest gas around here in my parts, quite a few locations too, it would make sense from a marketing standpoint.

We just got Sunoco here a couple of years ago when it finally moved West of the Mississippi.
The closest Speedway to me is about 230 miles away. Other than the 1 in Texas City, the closest are in Tennessee.

I can say that here in Ohio there are Speedway's on almost every corner...sometimes 2 of them.

Back
Top Bottom