nascar ended up with a corrupt race

In the 1995 season finale at Atlanta, Jeff Gordon needed to finish in any position 42st or higher to clinch the championship over Earnhardt. Rick Hendrick entered the #58 car with Jeff Purvis for the sole purpose of parking it if Gordon got into trouble during the race. Is that cheating?
Like I said, you're only a thief if you get caught.

I am not a gordon fan but I think this year he should be given the 13th position to make things really right. Leave sliced bread in but put Gordo in also.

Like I said, you're only a thief if you get caught.
To me, this whole thing begins and ends with Bowyer getting a minor penalty for intentionally causing a caution. I think the whole "manipulating results" thing is just apart of being a teammate. If I was secure in the Chase and my teammate BobbyFord was trying to beat FenderBender for the last wild card, I'd spend the whole race being a defender, blocking Fender like mad. It's just NASCAR and the rest of the world disagreed with me.

In the 1995 season finale at Atlanta, Jeff Gordon needed to finish in any position 42st or higher to clinch the championship over Earnhardt. Rick Hendrick entered the #58 car with Jeff Purvis for the sole purpose of parking it if Gordon got into trouble during the race. Is that cheating?

Thanks for that. That's even worse than spinning, IMO. Jeff also helped decide the 2011 championship by staying out for one reason, to deny Carl a point for leading a lap. That's damn cheap, IMO, and I'm no Carl fan. My point is, this stuff goes on and it eventually comes back to you.

To me, this whole thing begins and ends with Bowyer getting a minor penalty for intentionally causing a caution. I think the whole "manipulating results" thing is just apart of being a teammate. If I was secure in the Chase and my teammate BobbyFord was trying to beat FenderBender for the last wild card, I'd spend the whole race being a defender, blocking Fender like mad. It's just NASCAR and the rest of the world disagreed with me.
But that's not causing a caution and changing the outcome of the race if you are blocking.

Reactions: ozz
MWR is mainly being penalized for being way too obvious about it and embarrassing Nascar.
Hell, if they had just planned a better code word for Vickers so he knew to pit immediately when he heard it ... they would have gotten away with it.
Team orders are impossible to eliminate completely. But they can't be this obvious. If the average viewer at home can see it, you're doing it wrong.

I would put you in the wall and bring out that caution I need. :D

Nascar said they still have no proof Bowyer spun on purpose. It was Vickers' radio chatter that was the smoking gun.

Thanks for that. That's even worse than spinning, IMO. Jeff also helped decide the 2011 championship by staying out for one reason, to deny Carl a point for leading a lap. That's damn cheap, IMO, and I'm no Carl fan. My point is, this stuff goes on and it eventually comes back to you.
was that a chase race?

But that was what? 5 races before Homestead?

How can you devine what's going to happen that far ahead? That sort of thing happens every race from Daytona to the midts of the season.

You're trying to connect these two outcomes as been the same which couldn't be farther from the truth.

One can't predict what will happen from lap to lap so we have no idea how Richmond would've unfolded. Now, I'd like to clarify that what Bowyer did is far worse than keeping a guy from leading a lap. However, what was done to Edwards in 2011 had the desired outcome - keep him from getting bonus points and even one bonus point would've awarded him the Cup.

So, I think we've exhausted the subject and I happily concede the final word to you should you chose to accept it :)

Thanks for the debate.

Muahaha.

I guess if one of Bowyer's goals was to end Gordon's championship hopes, mission accomplished.
It was all about getting Truax in, by not having Newman get a second win, and by not having Logano getting the tie breaking Wild Card.

I can understand Gordon fans being upset I would be too. But he wasnt a direct target, they could care less about who they were screwing just so long as Truax got a WC.

For Clint, it's really bad, because EVEYONE has seen the footage of him, lying his ass off. ;)

Well, he should have put more effort into making it seem like an accident. Then we would all be arguing whether it was intentional or not, just like the old days.

What's a little controversy going into The Chase to spice things up?
Yeah, who isn't going to watch Chicagoland now to see if Gordon punts Bowyer on the parade lap. ESPN and their ad sales department should be glad, this whole thing probably doubled the ratings for this weekend.

One can't predict what will happen from lap to lap so we have no idea how Richmond would've unfolded. Now, I'd like to clarify that what Bowyer did is far worse than keeping a guy from leading a lap. However, what was done to Edwards in 2011 had the desired outcome - keep him from getting bonus points and even one bonus point would've awarded him the Cup.

So, I think we've exhausted the subject and I happily concede the final word to you should you chose to accept it :)

Thanks for the debate.

And I will take the last word. :D

Should we also blame the rain at Homestead that allowed Tony to win the race? Remember, if not for that short rain, Edwards wins that race and the championship.

NASCAR is hosting the 2nd Annual "Chase Contenders Live" event this coming Thursday in Chicago.

http://contenderslive.nascar.com/event_info.aspx

Considering that I work about a 15 minute walk from where it's being held, I just might take the afternoon off and check it out.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of reception Bowyer gets from the crowd.
This is going to be super awkward now.

1 hms guy out....gordon..........another....newman in.
1mwr guy out....truex............another....bowyer....still in.
1 penske guy in.....logano.
pretty simple nascar arbitration fer good chase scenario......

And I will take the last word. :D

Should we also blame the rain at Homestead that allowed Tony to win the race? Remember, if not for that short rain, Edwards wins that race and the championship.

Yes, we blame the rain.

Anything else?

Back
Top Bottom