SHR files suit against Nature's Bakery for breach of contract

First, I am a huge Tony Stewart fan...apparently he had a meltdown last night at Ocala. Loaded up the car and walked off. There is more to the story...we will probably hear about it soon.

That is just Tony as he could be chucking a helmet at a race promoter in Australia, punching someone who angered him or putting another driver in the wall next week.

First, I am a huge Tony Stewart fan...apparently he had a meltdown last night at Ocala. Loaded up the car and walked off. There is more to the story...we will probably hear about it soon.
Won't be surprised if someone started some **** about the Ward deal. Or they bitched about him getting favoritism? But he owns the championship winning car, so...?

Nature’s Bakery says it won’t let Stewart-Haas Racing ‘bully us’ with lawsuit

Claiming that Stewart-Haas Racing is “threatening scorched earth litigation,” Nature’s Bakery stated Thursday that it will not allow the NASCAR team to “bully us.’’

The comment marks Nature’s Bakery first response since Stewart-Haas Racing filed a lawsuit Feb. 3 against the company. Stewart-Haas Racing claims that Nature’s Bakery breached its contract in ending its sponsorship of Danica Patrick’s team last month.

Stewart-Haas Racing seeks $31.7 million from Nature’s Bakery for actual damages plus interest. Nature’s Bakery was to have sponsored Patrick’s team through the 2018 season at $15.2 million per season. Stewart-Haas Racing announced Tuesday that Aspen Dental would expand its support of Patrick’s team this season.

Nature’s Bakery responded Thursday:

“We were thrown off by SHR’s lawsuit,” Company CEO Kelly Allin said in a statement. “SHR and its owners are no stranger to aggressive litigation. Ours is a family business that repeatedly sought to resolve our issues privately. In fact, we were scheduled to meet in Charlotte just days before they sued us.

“Contrary to its image, SHR is run by big-business types that took advantage of Nature’s Bakery. They now are threatening scorched earth litigation against a multi-generational family company. We’re obviously not going to let them bully us. We may be a small brand, but we do not think what they are doing is right. We look forward to defending ourselves in court.”

In its statement, Nature’s Bakery described Stewart-Haas Racing’s lawsuit as a “false legal complaint.’’ The company also stated that “contrary to SHR statements, Nature’s Bakery remains a healthy and vibrant company.’’

Nature’s Bakery states that it will file a “detailed response and counterclaims shortly. The filing will shed light on SHR’s conduct both during the race season and after.”

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/02...et-stewart-haas-racing-bully-us-with-lawsuit/

I will wait and see how things play out, but the above smells like something bad to me

Claiming that Stewart-Haas Racing is “threatening scorched earth litigation,” Nature’s Bakery stated Thursday that it will not allow the NASCAR team to “bully us.’’

The comment marks Nature’s Bakery first response since Stewart-Haas Racing filed a lawsuit Feb. 3 against the company. Stewart-Haas Racing claims that Nature’s Bakery breached its contract in ending its sponsorship of Danica Patrick’s team last month.

Stewart-Haas Racing seeks $31.7 million from Nature’s Bakery for actual damages plus interest. Nature’s Bakery was to have sponsored Patrick’s team through the 2018 season at $15.2 million per season. Stewart-Haas Racing announced Tuesday that Aspen Dental would expand its support of Patrick’s team this season.

“We were thrown off by SHR’s lawsuit,” Company CEO Kelly Allin said in a statement. “SHR and its owners are no stranger to aggressive litigation. Ours is a family business that repeatedly sought to resolve our issues privately. In fact, we were scheduled to meet in Charlotte just days before they sued us.

“Contrary to its image, SHR is run by big-business types that took advantage of Nature’s Bakery. They now are threatening scorched earth litigation against a multi-generational family company. We’re obviously not going to let them bully us. We may be a small brand, but we do not think what they are doing is right. We look forward to defending ourselves in court.”

In its statement, Nature’s Bakery described Stewart-Haas Racing’s lawsuit as a “false legal complaint.’’ The company also stated that “contrary to SHR statements, Nature’s Bakery remains a healthy and vibrant company.’’

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/02...et-stewart-haas-racing-bully-us-with-lawsuit/
Sounds like the fig people are getting their ovens pre-heated for a big fight.

A desperate act by the glorified Fig Newton sellers.

I'd love to know what conduct makes it okay for a company to default on sponsorship payments.

NB statement.....

C4z_XHwXAAAzpXG.jpg:large

The cookie folks case isn't as strong as initially thought.

The part about her speakin' for the powdered stuff has been declared false by one of the board's posters.

Ole Smoke should feel better about that.

The cookie folks case isn't as strong as initially thought.

The part about her speakin' for the powdered stuff has been declared false by one of the board's posters.

Ole Smoke should feel better about that.
Common sense would say that argument wouldn't hold up. Of course common sense isn't all that common.

Nature’s Bakery states that it will file a “detailed response and counterclaims shortly. The filing will shed light on SHR’s conduct both during the race season and after.”

I love the way NB is taking the "aw shucks, golly gee" approach by giving us a primer on the big old mean corporate giant that is SHR.

I will wait and see how things play out, but the above smells like something bad to me

Do you mean like it smells bad from the standpoint that NB reneged on SHR? I agree we will have to wait before everything is known but from what I know so far neither DP or SHR did anything wrong.

Do you mean like it smells bad from the standpoint that NB reneged on SHR? I agree we will have to wait before everything is known but from what I know so far neither DP or SHR did anything wrong.

I cant see a scenario where NB comes out ahead here. I do NOT like that DP will be drug through the mud, with them saying she didnt do this...didnt do that. that bugs the hell out of me actually.

Based on NASCAR spending, they're a small family run business just like Budweiser.
They stopped being a family business when the hedge fund guys moved in.

Typical "poor little me" response written by their corporate owner's squadron of $850 / hour lawyers.

I cant see a scenario where NB comes out ahead here. I do NOT like that DP will be drug through the mud, with them saying she didnt do this...didnt do that. that bugs the hell out of me actually.
The problem with Danica...and hopefully this is a lesson for all drivers, especially younger ones...is that she never goes above and beyond for sponsors. She basically holds sponsors to the EXACT letter of the contract. If it says 4 tweets, she'll give them 4 tweets (and usually after having to be nudged). One hour appearances last one hour to the second. It's always irked me about her. You look at her teammates, specifically Kurt & Kevin...those guys are constantly promoting their sponsors. If Monster ever tried to back out on Kurt, or Anheuser Busch tried to back out on Kevin, the "not only did we deliver, we went way above and beyond" evidence would be staggering. You're not going to find a single tweet "above & beyond" for Nature's Bakery. Not a single plug, not a single appearance, not a single video, not a single picture, literally nothing. Imagine how handy having all of that would be today.

Again...hopefully this will serve as a lesson for younger drivers. ALWAYS over deliver for sponsors. Always, always, always, always.

The problem with Danica...and hopefully this is a lesson for all drivers, especially younger ones...is that she never goes above and beyond for sponsors. She basically holds sponsors to the EXACT letter of the contract. If it says 4 tweets, she'll give them 4 tweets (and usually after having to be nudged). One hour appearances last one hour to the second. It's always irked me about her. You look at her teammates, specifically Kurt & Kevin...those guys are constantly promoting their sponsors. If Monster ever tried to back out on Kurt, or Anheuser Busch tried to back out on Kevin, the "not only did we deliver, we went way above and beyond" evidence would be staggering. You're not going to find a single tweet "above & beyond" for Nature's Bakery. Not a single plug, not a single appearance, not a single video, not a single picture, literally nothing. Imagine how handy having all of that would be today.

Again...hopefully this will serve as a lesson for younger drivers. ALWAYS over deliver for sponsors. Always, always, always, always.

good post...never understood that tbh...with go-daddy, she was ALWAYS talking about them....she seemed to go above and beyond for them...maybe because they had been with her for so long? I as a fan know there was not the promotion with NB as there was with go-daddy....good point on kevin and kurt. Carl comes to mind also...always promoting....

good post...never understood that tbh...with go-daddy, she was ALWAYS talking about them....she seemed to go above and beyond for them...maybe because they had been with her for so long? I as a fan know there was not the promotion with NB as there was with go-daddy....good point on kevin and kurt. Carl comes to mind also...always promoting....
Everything she did for GoDaddy was contractual.

Everything she did for GoDaddy was contractual.

I'll be honest, im a danicafreak through and through, but heros have flaws. I dont like that. Not one bit. It would help a TON now. If she was to win the 500 a pole or the race itself, I would hope we would see lots of sponsor talk. If we didnt I think someone should talk some sense into her.

I'll be honest, im a danicafreak through and through, but heros have flaws. I dont like that. Not one bit. It would help a TON now. If she was to win the 500 a pole or the race itself, I would hope we would see lots of sponsor talk. If we didnt I think someone should talk some sense into her.
I mean, if we're being technical, it's not necessarily a "flaw." She delivers on what was required. And she's certainly not alone in the garage when it comes to not going above and beyond. I just never understand drivers and teams that carry around copies of the contract. Just make your sponsors a part of your every day life and good things will happen. Kurt Busch was sitting poolside the day after his wedding wearing a Monster t-shirt and a Monster hat. I promise you, that wasn't in his contract.

I mean, if we're being technical, it's not necessarily a "flaw." She delivers on what was required. And she's certainly not alone in the garage when it comes to not going above and beyond. I just never understand drivers and teams that carry around copies of the contract. Just make your sponsors a part of your every day life and good things will happen. Kurt Busch was sitting poolside the day after his wedding wearing a Monster t-shirt and a Monster hat. I promise you, that wasn't in his contract.

AGREED....I mean you want to race...SPONSORS MAKE THAT HAPPEN

(By the way, my comments in no way imply that Danica didn't deliver for Nature's Bakery. I think it's pretty clear what's going on there...)

When I got "free" gear from my college's tournaments & league games I wore that crap all the time. Still do. Not because I was obligated, but because it fit well & I had tons of it.

I'm not going to court either way. This is a message board. It's not a court room. I'm sure the lawyers will have more evidence. However, that doesn't stop us from pointing out this appears pretty simple.

A message board, absolutely….

An excellent vehicle for those without a clue to express their opinion based on information the several sides release for public consumption..

I am not going to castigate DP or other drivers that stick to the letter of the law with sponsor obligations as that is their prerogative. However in the current climate it makes sense to me that a driver would want to over deliver to the sponsor and make them feel like the most special people in the world as they are the ones responsible for their paycheck.

If you are a driver that doesn't win or place top 15 very often you are not going to get as much TV time as the top dogs and with that being the case I would think the lesser lights would really want to go over and above in providing the sponsor value.

NB could have told them earlier they were thinking of pulling the plug. But they waited until after their commercial was played on the Superblow. No dummies there.

I think that problem will police itself. danica had go daddy almost the entire time. She also had a level of fame that meant she could be snobbish about PR. the longer I am in business myself the more I see how small the world really is. so often you think I will never run into that guy again on another job. Then a few years later telling them to rightly shove it a few years earlier may have been a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom