SILLY SEASON 2018

Interesting they do talk about staying with Ford in this article which is surprising whether or not that means anything is yet to be determined
Sounds to me like Landon Cassill is being replaced by a pay driver...

"So, if there's something you can do to have a good quality driver that comes along with a partnership and it helps you upgrade the engine program or whatever it is, you really have to look at that."

Switching manufacturers is a very expensive proposition and burns people at a high rate.

Neither Chevrolet nor Toyota need this team.

Chevy no, toyota yes if they want to use it as a development team between xfinty and JGR.

Chevy no, toyota yes if they want to use it as a development team between xfinty and JGR.
I have to think that nearly all the teams are set for years to come with the young drivers starting 2018. I also think there will be little movement in drivers at the Xfinity level. Could be the odd change if a new driver pops up with a good paying sponsor. JGR up to now has used mostely
cup drivers so they do have some seats for young drivers provided they have sponsors.

Ford can't really stand to lose anyone either. If they're willing to push more money into the pockets of RFR, FRM the way they did SHR and Penske, they could have several dominant teams. Ford needs to be careful of letting anyone run off to Toyota. Might be worth the millions it takes to convince them to stay.

I wonder if some of the Danica rumors there may be true? Ford seems to really like her and that's potentially the only "open seat" (not including if RFR were to suddenly re-expand) in a Ford. Looking to the future, she's got maybe 1-2 years left in her. Do you let her get away and end with another manufacturer or do you offer up some cash to keep her in a Ford and potentially use her for future marketing even once she's done? She'll still be at the track with Ricky, so she'd be easy to have come out to Ford displays and such to stay active with race fans.

Ford couldn't keep Buescher in a ride, or keep Kez in the truck business with only two trucks. Briscoe is/was supposed to be a Ford development driver..anybody hear where he is going after Kez folds up shop? Cendric? Can't stand to lose anyone? Hell, they are like a bucket without a bottom.

Ford can't really stand to lose anyone either. If they're willing to push more money into the pockets of RFR, FRM the way they did SHR and Penske, they could have several dominant teams. Ford needs to be careful of letting anyone run off to Toyota. Might be worth the millions it takes to convince them to stay.

I wonder if some of the Danica rumors there may be true? Ford seems to really like her and that's potentially the only "open seat" (not including if RFR were to suddenly re-expand) in a Ford. Looking to the future, she's got maybe 1-2 years left in her. Do you let her get away and end with another manufacturer or do you offer up some cash to keep her in a Ford and potentially use her for future marketing even once she's done? She'll still be at the track with Ricky, so she'd be easy to have come out to Ford displays and such to stay active with race fans.
Running off Toyota means nothing unless they are being backed by Toyota ,aka TRD power and all the gooey technical goodness to go along with the TRD motors and Toyota has stated they are not looking to add any more teams right now. So, Front Row can switch to Toyota and they are going to be just like BK racing is, a team that is running Toyota bodies running none TRD motors, not on the same level as JGR/Furniture RR.

Engines has been a major expense to any team. With the proposed changes of running 2 races with the same engine next season, I can see some of the small teams being able to improve their personnel and other equipment.
The 3 engine builders are going to take the biggest hit. IMO

"It all goes back to Bob's really wanting to take the next step with Front Row to not just be a middle-tier team that only has a chance to win on the plate tracks, but a team that's a threat to win more consistently,"

Front Row is very similar to where Furniture Row was a few years ago.

I'd say they need to find the money to pay the one proven driver who is available, get some better engines than RFR's 2nd hand shop is providing and let the chips fall.

It's possible that RPM will run Chevs for a year before returning to Dodge in 2019.

Long shot, I know, but still a possibility.

That would be the scenario if RPM enters a technical alliance with RCR. But losing Smithfield screwed that deal up. I've heard they have some sponsors waiting to be announced for the 43, so an RCR alliance may still happen. RPM isn't going away.

That would be the scenario if RPM enters a technical alliance with RCR. But losing Smithfield screwed that deal up. I've heard they have some sponsors waiting to be announced for the 43, so an RCR alliance may still happen. RPM isn't going away.

Wallace is still smooching up to Domino's on Twitter, so who knows.

Sounds to me now they are staying with Ford atleast for 18

Reports of RPM's demise are greatly exaggerated.
Their demise is not being reported.

The idea that they're even remotely considering a switch to Chevrolet for a season followed by a switch to a manufacturer not currently competing is being laughed at.

Their demise is not being reported.

The idea that they're even remotely considering a switch to Chevrolet for a season followed by a switch to a manufacturer not currently competing is being laughed at.
RPM has to switch to survive. They are caught in a no-win situation at present they don't have the resources to run up front on their own. You don't run up front you can't better your resources, one hand feeds the other. At Ford, RPM is an afterthought. At best 4th team, and counting cars they are 10th on the totem pole at best this year and will fall to 11th with the coming of the 3rd Penske entry next year.

Modern NASCAR you have to be first or second with your make or you are SOL. Any Yotas do anything outside of Gibbs and FRR? HMS, CGR at Chevy with a bright spot here or there out of RCR. Has JTG even raced this year? Childress wouldn't even consider Dodge if it were not something he felt he had to do. RPM may as well make the jump. It's probably their last best chance to be relevant again.

You are correct. Their problem is a lack of resources.

They'd get less attention from Chevrolet than they get now and the Dodge thing is pie in the sky until it isn't. Maybe Murstein should open his company's wallet. I'll wait for the answer to that one.

Well has not Allenaba in this very thread said that Murstien is looking to sell his half of the company? Look as of now, they don't have a shop for next year and short of going back to Level Cross they will have to partner with someone my bet that is RCR and thus one year with Chevy. I will have to give Murstien props, he could have bolted like BV did so far he has not. Ray Evernham should have to serve a hard card suspension for bringing in George Gillett

Last edited:
On a couple other forums people are saying JTG is going to team with Danica for a 3rd car.

Well has not Allenaba in this very thread said that Murstien is looking to sell his half of the company? Look as of now, they don't have a shop for next year and short of going back to Level Cross they will have to partner with someone my bet that is RCR and thus one year with Chevy. I will have to give Murstien props, he could have bolted like BV did so far he has not. Ray Evernham should have to serve a hard card suspension for bringing in George Gillett
Yeah ... I think I'd find a shop with a fenced yard before I worried about anything else.

For a smart guy, it took Mr. Murstein quite a while to figure out that speed costs money.

Indeed, that much we agree on about Murstien. Bringing in an investor w/o a sports background is dangerous. Jack makes it work with Fenway Group because they understood exactly what they had bought into since baseball and racing share business characteristics.

Jack makes it work with Fenway Group because they understood exactly what they had bought into since baseball and racing share business characteristics.

You and I must have a different definition of "working". At the present time, RFR is basically RCR with a different brand of cars. In fact, they have the same number of wins this year........

Spencer Boyd's "dreams come true" with full-time Xfinity ride

Spencer Boyd is going to get his first opportunity to run full-time in a NASCAR national series next season.
Boyd, who has competed part time in the NASCAR Xfinity and Camping World Truck series, will compete full-time in the Xfinity Series next season with SS Green Light Racing, driving the No. 76 Chevrolet.

The veteran-owned lifestyle brand, Grunt Style, will sponsor Boyd’s team as part of a multi-year agreement.

“This is the day I’ve been waiting for my whole life,” Boyd said in a statement. “I’ve been racing something since I was five years old with the dream of making racing my career. Grunt Style has made my dreams come true.”

https://www.motorsport.com/all/phot...12732988/?&i=1&id=12732988&sz=8&a=967379&s=-6

FWIW... It's speculation, but at least it's speculation from an industry insider in regular contact with many team personnel.

Gosh I hope he gets that ride with a cool sponsor, he could be a huge shot in the arm for the sport.
I always look forward to new blood joining the top ranks (even though it is sad to see some of the veterans leave). Chase, Larson, and Blaney have been able to mix it up a bit, with Jones and Suarez both showing great potential also. Now we have Willy B, Bowman, and hopefully Bubba joining the ranks next year, I'm excited to see what they can do!

Back
Top Bottom