SILLY SEASON 2019

Says in the article that BK already sold some stuff to Obaika Racing, had no idea those guys were still around
No kidding, they shut down operations midway thru the 2017 season.

I wonder if Rheem comes with Bell to the 77 and another JGR associate becomes a main sponsor. With Lowe's out Home Depot?

Well, even if the 77 is in play, Barney will insist on fully funding the 78 first. So, they will have to find somebody in addition to Rheem IMO. I think Barney likes a single car fully funded team, and he is not willing to go back to paying for stuff out of his own pocket. I think that he did the second car as part of the deal with JGR and Toyota. He became okay with it when 5 Hour came with the deal to infuse some cash for Martin and pay for Erik in the 77. When EJ split, Barney had his fully funded car. Now that 5 Hour bails, fully funding the 78 will become the main focus. I doubt that the wants to hear anything about a second car until the 78 is done. Keep in mind, that Martin's contract is up as well, and he will not be as cheap as he was prior to his Championship. Lots to think about over at FRR.

Keep in mind, that Martin's contract is up as well, and he will not be as cheap as he was prior to his Championship.
I agree with all your points, but Martin and his agent know Matt Kenseth priced himself out of a ride. There may not be more money available elsewhere, champion or not.

I agree with all your points, but Martin and his agent know Matt Kenseth priced himself out of a ride. There may not be more money available elsewhere, champion or not.

A very good point, and it sucks for Martin. I don't think the guy should command Junior dollars, but I would like to see him get a bump for winning the Championship. As you said, it may not happen.

IF Bell runs cup next year I think it will be with LFR if anywhere.

Keep in mind, that Martin's contract is up as well, and he will not be as cheap as he was prior to his Championship. Lots to think about over at FRR.

IMO FRR holds all the cards in this deal. What other top funded team has anything open in 2019 that Martin would be willing to go to? Really the only option I see for him would be the 41 if they don't resign Kurt

I wonder how much assistance Toyota is providing in the search for a sponsor. I don't think they'd like to see one of their top teams pack it in from lack of funding.

After all, they've already lost Front Row. :D

IMO FRR holds all the cards in this deal. What other top funded team has anything open in 2019 that Martin would be willing to go to? Really the only option I see for him would be the 41 if they don't resign Kurt
On the flip side, FRR has a lot to lose if they don't hold onto Truex. They only just managed to get full sponsorship. Do those sponsors stick around if they replace him with someone cheaper and aren't as competitive? Would Bass Pro stick around if Truex left? Going back to self sponsorship would likely cost FRR a lot more than giving Truex a raise. It's in the best interest of both parties to get a fair deal worked out

Probably why Truex is stalling on signing a contract, ya never know who is going to come a calling with sponsorship. From rumors it has been said there is interest from sponsors

On the flip side, FRR has a lot to lose if they don't hold onto Truex. They only just managed to get full sponsorship. Do those sponsors stick around if they replace him with someone cheaper and aren't as competitive? Would Bass Pro stick around if Truex left? Going back to self sponsorship would likely cost FRR a lot more than giving Truex a raise. It's in the best interest of both parties to get a fair deal worked out

I'm just saying it would be another Matt Kenseth deal. Drive for us for this much (in competitive equipment), retire, or drive for an under funded team because nothing else is out there. At least last year we knew the 88, 5, and 21 were going to be open.

I'm just saying it would be another Matt Kenseth deal. Drive for us for this much (in competitive equipment), retire, or drive for an under funded team because nothing else is out there. At least last year we knew the 88, 5, and 21 were going to be open.
I understand what you're saying. I just don't agree that that would be a wise approach for FRR and the Kenseth situation was completely different. Kenseth's contract was out of line with the current market realities of NASCAR. JGR was able to put a much cheaper good driver in the car and stay full funded. Good luck to FRR trying to stay fully sponsored if they put a cheap kid driver in and stopped winning. And based on the results of the youth movement so far, there's a very good chance the wins would dry up if they went that route.

As for Martin, people get paid what they're worth. Companies that treat their employees as replaceable parts generally find themselves replacing people while those people get paid what they're worth somewhere else. Sure they could take that approach this year because presumably there's no seats open. But then maybe in a year there's a seat open at SHR, who I'm sure would be more than happy to take on Truex with Bass Pro as a primary sponsor, and suddenly Truex would no longer have any reason to be loyal to FRR.

Also funny you mention the 5 since that seat wasn't actually open until Rick decided he'd rather pay Kahne to race for someone else so he could put the driver he wanted in that car. Truex seems to be one of the more marketable drivers and the ability to win to go with it. If he became available, a good ride would open up for him before too long.

I understand what you're saying. I just don't agree that that would be a wise approach for FRR and the Kenseth situation was completely different. Kenseth's contract was out of line with the current market realities of NASCAR. JGR was able to put a much cheaper good driver in the car and stay full funded. Good luck to FRR trying to stay fully sponsored if they put a cheap kid driver in and stopped winning. And based on the results of the youth movement so far, there's a very good chance the wins would dry up if they went that route.

As for Martin, people get paid what they're worth. Companies that treat their employees as replaceable parts generally find themselves replacing people while those people get paid what they're worth somewhere else. Sure they could take that approach this year because presumably there's no seats open. But then maybe in a year there's a seat open at SHR, who I'm sure would be more than happy to take on Truex with Bass Pro as a primary sponsor, and suddenly Truex would no longer have any reason to be loyal to FRR.

Also funny you mention the 5 since that seat wasn't actually open until Rick decided he'd rather pay Kahne to race for someone else so he could put the driver he wanted in that car. Truex seems to be one of the more marketable drivers and the ability to win to go with it. If he became available, a good ride would open up for him before too long.

It was pretty clear that he wouldn't be the 5 for 2018, especially with Rick's post race comments after the Indy win

Martin drove in Nascar for many years with at least 3 different teams and his winning percentage never got off the floor. Things are clicking now for him and he has a great crew chief.
He would be a fool to give up this ride for a few bucks more and no guarantees.
I venture to say he will resign at his same salary.

And in a climate where only three drivers seem able to win a race, FRR would also be fools to let him go. As I said previous, it's in the best interest of both parties to work out a fair deal. He wont get a crazy salary of yesteryear, but I don't think he has to take a big discount over what he's worth either

I don't think we have any way to find out, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he resigned for a bit less.
I think his salary going from unemployed to a bottom team would have been pretty low.
Getting Barney his one and only championship and turning him into a winning team will
definitely help getting him an increase. I am pretty sure Martin and Cole could get a decent offer from Ganassi or RCR.

I think his salary going from unemployed to a bottom team would have been pretty low.
Getting Barney his one and only championship and turning him into a winning team will
definitely help getting him an increase. I am pretty sure Martin and Cole could get a decent offer from Ganassi or RCR.
RCR is now a team you pass through on your way up or settle for on your way down, and not where you wind up two seasons off a championship. Ditto Roush. I could see Chip landing a driver / CC combo of their caliber, just not that pair in 2019.

(Gods of us all, did I just type 2019? Wasn't it just last week we had '1999' going all day New Year's Eve? :blink:)

RCR is now a team you pass through on your way up or settle for on your way down, and not where you wind up two seasons off a championship. Ditto Roush. I could see Chip landing a driver / CC combo of their caliber, just not that pair in 2019.

RFR can go know where because of their partnership.
RCR could right their ship ( if the Comaro gets better) and the old man wants to invest more.
RCR is a business destined to be kept in the family. IMO

Got to agree. NASCAR is a small pond and the rides (except for maybe the 41) that are at the same level Martin is currently racing at are filled.

I'm 99% sure that we will see MTJ and FRR together for a few more years. The fire is blazing more than ever.

This is only true as long as people recognize that success is dependent on Cole Pern.

I wonder how much assistance Toyota is providing in the search for a sponsor. I don't think they'd like to see one of their top teams pack it in from lack of funding.
After all, they've already lost Front Row. :D
I am sure they are involved. FRR is crucial to the Driver Development Program IMO.
I don't think we have any way to find out, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he resigned for a bit less.
Maybe much less..... He won his Championship at the wrong time. I hate it.
Martin drove in Nascar for many years with at least 3 different teams and his winning percentage never got off the floor. Things are clicking now for him and he has a great crew chief.
He would be a fool to give up this ride for a few bucks more and no guarantees.
I venture to say he will resign at his same salary.
Money doesn't talk, it screams. Ganassi would drop McMurray in a heartbeat IMO to land Martin and Cole, and in the process of so doing easily outbid a reluctant Barney in the process. Might even get him for less than McMurray. If memory serves, HMS was in the market for Martin the last time his contract was up.

Ganassi would drop McMurray in a heartbeat IMO to land Martin and Cole, and in the process of so doing easily outbid a reluctant Barney in the process. Might even get him for less than McMurray.
Those statements appear self-contradictory. If Ganassi tries to get Truex for less than McMurray is costing him, he'd be underbidding Barney.

i dont think truex is going anywhere,money is not everything.
i would like to see bell in the 1 car,i think he and larson would be a great team.but bell in the 77 would ok for now.

If memory serves, HMS was in the market for Martin the last time his contract was up.
But he went to a team after Kurt left and they still had no wins? I doubt HMS was very serious, maybe they just said that to appease Junior.:D

I’m not a resident racing insider but no way in hell MTJ is leaving Furniture Row Racing and Toyota. For Ganassi? For HMS? Why? Think about it....those teams are behind him. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose. Nothing to see here, move on. Must be slow in these parts

Those statements appear self-contradictory. If Ganassi tries to get Truex for less than McMurray is costing him, he'd be underbidding Barney.
They could be....What if Ganassi is paying more for McMurray than Barney is willing to spend for Martin? Let's say McMurray makes 5 million and Martin 3 million. What I mean to say is that Ganassi could spend 4 million and get Martin. He spends less than he does now, but more than Barney. I am not sure that this is far from the truth in terms of Martin's salary being below what we might expect.....My logic could still be screwed....running out of IQ points...
I’m not a resident racing insider but no way in hell MTJ is leaving Furniture Row Racing and Toyota. For Ganassi? For HMS? Why? Think about it....those teams are behind him. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose. Nothing to see here, move on. Must be slow in these parts
Money man. Is it not a slap in the face if the reigning champion gets low balled?

Back
Top Bottom