SILLY SEASON 2019

"TBR will field a single car team for select races throughout the year, starting with the season opener, Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway in February."

'Selected races' are defined as the Daytona and Talladega races. I'm glad to see Tommy back in the game, but I suspect those four races will make up the majority of his schedule.
Tommy said he is gonna run a couple of the new rules package tracks.

Drivers who can't win in other tier's moving up into the Cup series, sounds legit.
Reddick and Custer still have something to prove in Xfinity and could have Cup rides available at their respective teams in the not-so-distant future. Bell has a plan, Sadboy retired, and as far as we know Allgaier is comfortable at that level and doesn't see it necessary to run midpack in Cup again.

It could be Spindric or Brandon Jones moving up, in which case we would have a problem.

I am sorry I really think about this differently. I know they are really really far off from being upfront every week and if I had to bet my mortgage, I'd bet it'd be more of the same next year. But I think the combo of Stockman and Dillon is something positive for RCR. I will ask though...... who's farther off from their glory days Roush or RCR?
I don't know if the new combo will be better or worse. My only point is that a plate race win isn't usually something that can be leveraged for future success, except maybe at other plate races. There's little about the car set-up or driver skills that are useful at the other 32 races on the schedule.

Who's farther off, Roush or Childress? In my opinion, flip a coin.

Tommy said he is gonna run a couple of the new rules package tracks.
I'd welcome that and wish him success. With the new package, maybe there's stuff from a plate set-up that can be successfully applied to other tracks. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.

I don't know if Mike Wheeler is a great crew chief that took a fall for Hambone's travails, a good crew chief, or something else entirely. I do believe he's intimately familiar with TRD Toyotas and how Joe Gibbs Racing operates. And I believe that will be worth a lot to Leavine Family Racing in 2019...

Mike Wheeler joins Leavine Family Racing as crew chief

Leavine Family Racing (LFR) is proud to announce that Mike Wheeler is joining the organization as the crew chief for the No. 95 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series team for the 2019 season.

2019 will mark several exciting changes for LFR as the team transitions to a new manufacturing partnership with Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) and Toyota Racing Development (TRD), as well as the addition of driver Matt DiBenedetto behind the wheel of the No. 95 machine...

-- Leavine Family Racing --

I don't know if Mike Wheeler is a great crew chief that took a fall for Hambone's travails, a good crew chief, or something else entirely. I do believe he's intimately familiar with TRD Toyotas and how Joe Gibbs Racing operates. And I believe that will be worth a lot to Leavine Family Racing in 2019...

Its a win win for Mike, New diggs, new driver and lower expectations but if he can put Matt in competitive cars he looks great.

Ever hear of some guy named Jimmie Johnson? ;)

Did you just compare a 7-time Champion to Daniel Hemric and Matt Tift? Bahahahahaha!

I tell you what, if these two win more than 80+ races and 7 Championships combined in Cup then you're a genius. BUT....in the end they have Talladega and Daytona they can possibly Bayne.

Did you just compare a 7-time Champion to Daniel Hemric and Matt Tift? Bahahahahaha!

I tell you what, if these two win more than 80+ races and 7 Championships combined in Cup then you're a genius. BUT....in the end they have Talladega and Daytona they can possibly Bayne.
The point was that Johnson's Busch record gave no indication he'd become a 7-time champ. If someone had compared JJ to Petty or Earnhardt 15 years ago, he'd be considered nuts too.

Its a win win for Mike, New diggs, new driver and lower expectations but if he can put Matt in competitive cars he looks great.

I agree. It is going to be very interesting to watch this team grow.

Denny is obviously complicated. Wheels is an excellent crew chief IMO, but I wonder if the friendship with Denny got in the way of the decision making.

we had no inkling that JJ was going to be a 7 time cup champion and 80+ race winner , I thought he didnt even won a Busch Series race when Jeff and Rick made the pitch to Lowe's to bring JJ onto the 48 . In fact if you look at a 2002 picture of JG's car Lowe's was an associate sponsor on the rear quarter panel as part of the deal to JJ getting Lowe's sponsorship. My point is its not so far out there to compare Hemeric and Tifft to JJ at THAT POINT IN THEIR CAREERS. Now if you want to make that comparison after what we have known JJ to be, that'd be where I have to get off the ride.
24DuPont2002ref1-vi.jpg

I mean through NASCAR history when one dominant driver starts to head out another starts to come in, Pettys last Cup followed by Earnhardts first, Earnhardts last followed by Gordon's first, Gordon's last followed by JJ's rookie year. Its so hard to tell how drivers will pan out until it happens.

Briscoe has himself a pretty decent Xfinity ride next year. Looks like SHR and Biagi extended their partnership with a 12 race primary sponsor. Xfinity is rounding up some good talent for next year

SHR confirmed this yesterday:

I'm more looking forward to Xfinity next year than Cup.

I'd ******* love Suarez in the 41. Get some young blood in the garage, great dude too.
I think he is in. SHR can hold their water when it comes to making announcements. Probably waiting on Monster to quit screwing around with Ganassi and sign for Kurt, they don't want to screw up Kurt's deal is my guess.

I am glad Xfinity is finally going the way of young talent and getting away from cuppers. Been looking forward to Briscoe and Cindric getting full-time rides in good equipment

Maybe SHR wants Kurt another year then Briscoe or Custer in 2020 or we could be seeing Harvick retire soon, maybe Bowyer as well . By 2021 SHR is Custer, Briscoe, Suarez, Almirola

Which of these three will win rookie of the year? I think hands down it will be Hemric. Hemric, then Preece and then Tifft. Preece gets a good raise out of it though, I wonder if he will do as well as Almendinger did in the 47

^ I think Hemric is the most consistent and should score the most points.
Preece has shown he is good in great equipment but does he have it?
Matt will do good if they don't pressure him but I doubt it will be enough.

If the #47 is happy with their income there will be no difference. If they are willing to invest more
I think Preece can wheel the car more so than the road man has done.

That is what it makes it interesting to me, to see if Preece's experience with the ovals will earn him a better record overall than Almendinger. Will he be better than Buescher, stuff like that. I really don't see him being a front runner in the 47, but that team is growing, I believe they went to Hendrick motors last year.

Which of these three will win rookie of the year? I think hands down it will be Hemric. Hemric, then Preece and then Tifft. Preece gets a good raise out of it though, I wonder if he will do as well as Almendinger did in the 47

Geez, no wonder NASCAR is in the tank.

NASCAR should take the ARCA series and turn it into a product that former greats can race. Who would pay for some short track racing with Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Dale Jr., Dale Jarrett, Jeff Burton, Rusty Wallace, Ward Burton, Steve Park, Jerry Nadeau just to name a few? They use the 2000-2006 car. I know it's impossible but man with all these guys gone and these guys such as Hemric, Preece, Tifft, etc. it's depressing. We need some drama, we need something because these new drivers are so boring.

NASCAR should take the ARCA series and turn it into a product that former greats can race. Who would pay for some short track racing with Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Dale Jr., Dale Jarrett, Jeff Burton, Rusty Wallace, Ward Burton, Steve Park, Jerry Nadeau just to name a few? They use the 2000-2006 car. I know it's impossible but man with all these guys gone and these guys such as Hemric, Preece, Tifft, etc. it's depressing. We need some drama, we need something because these new drivers are so boring.
You don’t seem to care much for younger drivers.....Steve Park,Jerry Nadeu and Dale Jr had to walk away from driving because of injuries. Bristol tried having a legends race and it almost killed Larry Pearson. I’m not the least bit depressed about the current drivers. It’s not 2002 anymore.

Good luck interesting those guys. Most of them are well enough off that if they wanted to run old cars on short tracks, they'd already be doing it. See Ken Schrader, for example.

Personally, I've never cared much what drivers said or did when they were out of the car.

Good luck interesting those guys. Most of them are well enough off that if they wanted to run old cars on short tracks, they'd already be doing it. See Ken Schrader, for example.

Personally, I've never cared much what drivers said or did when they were out of the car.
Like Jeff Gordon who has made hundreds of millions of dollars racing at the highest level of stock car racing is going to come back to race in a lower level series in some out of nowhere track.....I wish an IQ test was administered before joining this board.

You don’t seem to care much for younger drivers.....Steve Park,Jerry Nadeu and Dale Jr had to walk away from driving because of injuries. Bristol tried having a legends race and it almost killed Larry Pearson. I’m not the least bit depressed about the current drivers. It’s not 2002 anymore.

I'm going to do an interview with Jerry Nadeau in 2019 for a website I write for. I'll find out more about his condition. Think of Dale Jr., he ran a race this year at Richmond in his condition. Safety is important obviously, maybe leave out Tony....ha.

I'll have to find Steve Park, maybe I can rope him into the article too.

It seems the young talent entering is well...cheap replacements. I understand paying $20M+ for a driver is insane but these kids aren't helping an already hurting sport. If you like the current regime then that's great, I don't see it that way. People come out to see the drivers and I don't see people paying a few hundred bucks for a Sunday of racing to watch mediocracy.

Oh, and I'm talking a fun race, proceeds to charity. Hell it could be at Eldora on dirt. Forget thinking lower tier series, you're missing the point. These guys are racers still.

I'm going to do an interview with Jerry Nadeau in 2019 for a website I write for. I'll find out more about his condition. Think of Dale Jr., he ran a race this year at Richmond in his condition. Safety is important obviously, maybe leave out Tony....ha.

I'll have to find Steve Park, maybe I can rope him into the article too.

It seems the young talent entering is well...cheap replacements. I understand paying $20M+ for a driver is insane but these kids aren't helping an already hurting sport. If you like the current regime then that's great, I don't see it that way. People come out to see the drivers and I don't see people paying a few hundred bucks for a Sunday of racing to watch mediocracy.

Oh, and I'm talking a fun race, proceeds to charity. Hell it could be at Eldora on dirt. Forget thinking lower tier series, you're missing the point. These guys are racers still.
While constantly yearning for the past, these new guys will never be given a chance. All those drivers you mentioned were once new drivers too.

Preece is boring? You haven't seen him race take it?

I think I last saw something on Jerry Nadeau a few years back, and if I recall he is still in no condition to drive a racecar.

On the rookies I'd say Hemric is probably going to have the most success, I give him and outside shot at the playoffs.

I think I last saw something on Jerry Nadeau a few years back, and if I recall he is still in no condition to drive a racecar.
Racehub did a piece on him a few years back, and I mean this with all due respect to Jerry, his brain is still sort of mashed potateo's , he is lucky to just be alive and being able to function .

Back
Top Bottom