SILLY SEASON 2019

It's something that does happen regularly when CEO's change or companies are bought out and switch to a different direction like Lowes has recently. What are they now? the home improvement sponsor of the NFL..lol.

For sure as new management comes in and they free themselves from any association with Nascar ASAP.

Moving in a different direction is just a euphemism for saying we want nothing more to do with you. When you have a lot of companies moving away from you something is wrong.

Ally (GMAC) stepped in quickly and filled in Lowes spot. That's a fact.

In today’s climate what HMS did with Ally is nothing short of incredible. Unfortunately that is the exception and not the rule these days.

Sponsorship seemed to really take a hit the year after Sprint left and Monster took over. Why pay 15-20 million to sponsor a car when you can get the entire series for 20 million? Now they can’t even attract a title sponsor!

For sure as new management comes in and they free themselves from any association with Nascar ASAP.

Moving in a different direction is just a euphemism for saying we want nothing more to do with you. When you have a lot of companies moving away from you something is wrong.
The same deathbed talking points are repeated day after day, in thread after thread. We all "get it" that motor racing is not popular enough for some people who need the group validation of the mainstream stick & ball sports. NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA thrive on that (and the taxpayer funding that comes with it). Racing fans don't have that group validation from the mainstream masses, and don't need it. We are comfortable making our own choices. The sponsorship revenues from the pie chart below are more relevant and meaningful than attempts to put down racing as a niche sport that is not popular enough.

SponsorshipRevenues2017.jpg

The same deathbed talking points are repeated day after day, in thread after thread.

Apparently they must play the old hits again and again, because new material is hard to come by.

We all "get it" that motor racing is not popular enough for some people who need the group validation of the mainstream stick & ball sports. NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA thrive on that (and the taxpayer funding thatcomes withit). Racing fans don't have that group validationfrom the mainstream masses, and don't need it.

That and many of us manage to be fans of various forms of racing and various sports without experiencing the obsessive need to weigh them against each other to establish supremacy. I don't even get why some motorsports fans are preoccupied with pitting this racing series against that one.

I am constantly amazed that people just can't keep scrolling when they see a certain poster they don't like and don't agree with. Is there something I don't know that says if you keep calling that person out and then offer your own opinion, it will convert the despised poster?
You do realize he will continue his repetitive posts as long as he knows he is pulling someones chain?

While there is no denying that a LOT of companies have taken their marketing money elsewhere, and a LOT of it likely has to do with the diminished popularity of NASCAR, there is also a LOT of "It wasn't my idea, so lets get rid of it" syndrome. When new CEO's come in, they often like to put their own personal stamp on the company and distance themselves and the company from the past leadership, and that often involves the marketing and advertising, even if what they are doing is working just fine. This happened more often than you would think, even back when NASCAR was near the top of its popularity. There is also the issue with appearances with Wall Street, who often look at things in odd ways. A company could likely spend 30 million dollars on commercial buys that air at 3AM that nobody ever sees, and the investors would never say a word, BUT, write a 30 million dollar line item to a racing team for sponsorship, and alarm bells go off, even if the net exposure and ad value where exactly the same.

The same deathbed talking points are repeated day after day, in thread after thread. We all "get it" that motor racing is not popular enough for some people who need the group validation of the mainstream stick & ball sports. NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA thrive on that (and the taxpayer funding that comes with it). Racing fans don't have that group validation from the mainstream masses, and don't need it. We are comfortable making our own choices. The sponsorship revenues from the pie chart below are more relevant and meaningful than attempts to put down racing as a niche sport that is not popular enough.

View attachment 38543

We are talking about 2 separate things. I was speaking of Nascar and it’s inability to attract and retain sponsors. Your post touched on taxpayer funding, group validation and niche sports.

As far as niche sports go I follow Nascar and the NHL. The big difference is that one has been well managed and has enjoyed solid growth while the other has had incompetent management and the loss of market share.

While there is no denying that a LOT of companies have taken their marketing money elsewhere, and a LOT of it likely has to do with the diminished popularity of NASCAR, there is also a LOT of "It wasn't my idea, so lets get rid of it" syndrome. When new CEO's come in, they often like to put their own personal stamp on the company and distance themselves and the company from the past leadership, and that often involves the marketing and advertising, even if what they are doing is working just fine. This happened more often than you would think, even back when NASCAR was near the top of its popularity. There is also the issue with appearances with Wall Street, who often look at things in odd ways. A company could likely spend 30 million dollars on commercial buys that air at 3AM that nobody ever sees, and the investors would never say a word, BUT, write a 30 million dollar line item to a racing team for sponsorship, and alarm bells go off, even if the net exposure and ad value where exactly the same.

I agree that when a company undergoes a management change it is not uncommon for them to make changes. Normally a review is done and what is found to be working is retained and what is wasteful, redundant or offers no value is tossed overboard.

I agree that when a company undergoes a management change it is not uncommon for them to make changes. Normally a review is done and what is found to be working is retained and what is wasteful, redundant or offers no value is tossed overboard.

My whole point was that often, what is "working" has nothing to do with it. A lot of good programs are dumped for no other reason than they were tied to the previous CEO.

View attachment 38543
Source of the graphic, please.

Times change as they used to have enough entries they could have run another race with the cars that didn’t qualify

There's really no point to the Twins nowadays. My favorite two quirky racing events of the year used to be Indy 500 Bump Day and the Daytona 500 Twin 125s. Bump Day is closer to being back to a thing than the Twins. For the Twins they need about 50 cars to show up and get rid of charters automatically qualifying, which they're not going to do, but it means there's no point to the Twins.

There's really no point to the Twins nowadays. My favorite two quirky racing events of the year used to be Indy 500 Bump Day and the Daytona 500 Twin 125s. Bump Day is closer to being back to a thing than the Twins. For the Twins they need about 50 cars to show up and get rid of charters automatically qualifying, which they're not going to do, but it means there's no point to the Twins.
I agree but I like the Twin 125s. It is a unique way to set the field and after a long off season it is something to look forward to. Not many cars have been bumped on Bump day at Indy for years.

The rules have changed for the Busch Clash so many times I quit watching it and the Twins are just a test session now so I don’t watch them.

Source of the graphic, please.
It's from SportBusiness, a well-regarded international consulting firm in the business of sports. Was also the subject of a prior thread. Interesting data and obviously pertinent to the sponsorship discussion... except to those who view sports exclusively through the lens of the big four mainstream stick & ball leagues... NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB.

Another team fully funded interesting how they do it.
JTG Daugherty Racing And Kroger Launch Groundbreaking Paint Schemes For 2019 NASCAR Season
Questions have mounted over the last few seasons as to whether there was a continued investment by sponsors in NASCAR. The number of blue-chip sponsors remain strong, but the total investment has shifted. That’s been in large part in how companies are looking at their ROI and getting direct feedback into their investments. Geschickter sees the innovated program with Kroger as one way to get creative and bring value back to sponsors.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mauryb...-schemes-for-2019-nascar-season/#726cbbae330c

JR Motorsports, GMS Racing Launch Drivers Edge Development
http://www.jrmracing.com/media/2019/01/24/jr-motorsports-gms-racing-launch-drivers-edge-development

Drivers Edge Development will give participating drivers, all with differing levels of experience, the opportunity to race in five types of developmental series with JRM or GMS-fielded entries while staying aligned with Chevrolet. The program allows the two teams to complement each other by offering participants competition options with JRM’s regional late model program leading into GMS’ NASCAR K&N Pro Series and ARCA entries. The next tier presents potential seat time in the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series with GMS. Finally, at the program’s top level, JRM entries await in the NASCAR Xfinity Series.

Although mainly performance-based, there are no set criteria for selection into the program. Ideally, drivers between the ages of 14 and 21 years old will be considered. Currently, six drivers are enrolled in the Drivers Edge Development program:

• Noah Gragson (NXS driver for JRM)
  • John Hunter Nemechek (NXS driver for GMS)
  • Zane Smith (NXS driver for JRM in eight races)
  • Sheldon Creed (Truck driver for GMS)
  • Sam Mayer (Truck/ARCA/K&N driver for GMS and Late Model driver for JRM)
  • Adam Lemke (Late Model driver for JRM)

I hope the cars can get some TV time as from my interpretation of the article that aspect will be important.

Kroger has been profiting from the outset. Considering they also pay for an onboard camera a lot of times.

The deal with Kroger I think expires next year, so interest will be important. Hopefully, Preece and Buescher can get some great finishes in. I'd like to see Kroger stay around long-term.

Kroger has been profiting from the outset. Considering they also pay for an onboard camera a lot of times.

The deal with Kroger I think expires next year, so interest will be important. Hopefully, Preece and Buescher can get some great finishes in. I'd like to see Kroger stay around long-term.

I didn’t know about the in car camera and that is great. I would like to see the cars run well too and score some top 15-10 finishes.

I hope Kroger is happy with this marketing program and decides to remain in Nascar. They seem like a good fit overall

JTG moving up all new cars thru Texas

3. JTG Daugherty Racing making changes

JTG Daugherty Racing will be more closely aligned with Hendrick Motorsports this season, according to Ernie Cope, JTG Daugherty Racing’s director of competition. JTG Daugherty Racing will receive Hendrick engines, use Hendrick simulation and have Hendrick pit crews service the cars of Chris Buescher and rookie Ryan Preece.

JTG Daugherty Racing also has purchased five chassis for Daytona from Hendrick Motorsports. The rest of JTG Daugherty Racing’s fleet will be built in-house. Cope told NBC Sports that Car No. 10 was on a surface plate this week.

Car No. 1 will be used for wind tunnel testing. Car Nos. 2-3 will debut at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Cope said the organization plans to have new cars for all the races through Texas, which is the seventh race of the season.

Why build their own chassis?

“Part of it is you control your own innovation and destiny and when parts are coming,” Cope said. “We control our own production schedule. I think it’s going to work out fine.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/01/25/friday-5-crew-chief-marvels-at-chase-elliotts-progression/

Hmmmm so how many cars does HMS actually run????? Reminds me of when they were allowed 2 cars each so Rick ran the #25 under his fathers name. Of course others had cars under their wives name. Now they are allowed 4 cars each and as many as they want under other people.

Hmmmm so how many cars does HMS actually run????? Reminds me of when they were allowed 2 cars each so Rick ran the #25 under his fathers name. Of course others had cars under their wives name. Now they are allowed 4 cars each and as many as they want under other people.

Georgetta Roush had a spiffy vehicle too.

Back
Top Bottom