SILLY SEASON 2019

IMO Its pretty simple, the Preacher wanted Pern and MTJ, did everything in his power to put Barney out of business. The Preacher always gave me the impression of a person that would stick the knife in and twist it.

Of course all this took place with the blessing of TRD.
I think the Preacher wanted Pearn and whatever he found and wasn't sharing with JGR, MTJ was just kind of part of the deal. I can't blame MTJ too much if what Greg says is true (and he's proven reliable thus far), as he has dealt with losing rides over funding too many times in his career. Still, the whole thing is very slimy. Let's not pretend that it's the first time a superpower stole a driver and helped kill or stunt another team, though... *cough*Hendrick and Jeff Gordon*cough* (I know, Bill Davis went on to win some races, but you have to wonder what if Target and Gordon did sign the deals to move to Cup...)

I think the Preacher wanted Pearn and whatever he found and wasn't sharing with JGR, MTJ was just kind of part of the deal. I can't blame MTJ too much if what Greg says is true (and he's proven reliable thus far), as he has dealt with losing rides over funding too many times in his career. Still, the whole thing is very slimy. Let's not pretend that it's the first time a superpower stole a driver and helped kill or stunt another team, though... *cough*Hendrick and Jeff Gordon*cough* (I know, Bill Davis went on to win some races, but you have to wonder what if Target and Gordon did sign the deals to move to Cup...)

Gordon didn't have a contract though, and Davis's Cup plans were ANYTHING but certain. Ray Evernham flat out told Gordon that BDR was NOT ready to compete in Cup at a high level, and wouldn't be for some time. If you blame ANYBODY for the situation, blame Gordon, not Hendrick. It's kind of like when a guy catches his girl talking to another guy in a bar. The jealous guy always wants to beat up the other GUY, but it was HIS GIRL that was the one doing wrong. Always misplaced anger in my opinion.

Gordon didn't have a contract though, and Davis's Cup plans were ANYTHING but certain. Ray Evernham flat out told Gordon that BDR was NOT ready to compete in Cup at a high level, and wouldn't be for some time. If you blame ANYBODY for the situation, blame Gordon, not Hendrick. It's kind of like when a guy catches his girl talking to another guy in a bar. The jealous guy always wants to beat up the other GUY, but it was HIS GIRL that was the one doing wrong. Always misplaced anger in my opinion.
Fair point. Then Roush further screwed the situation when he refused to let Gordon bring Evernham with him. The rest is history. Now, let's get back to bashing the Preacher since my attempt to sound knowledgeable about NASCAR lore crashed and burned. :cheers:

Does Joe Gibbs actually play a role in strategic decision making these days, or is he strictly the owner with a management team calling the shots?

Jack doesn't like people who are smarter then he is.

It's funny with me and Roush. I didn't like him in the 80's in sportscars, because as the Ford guy, he was the enemy, but it was all in fun. Once he got to NASCAR, I decided I really did NOT like him. Once I met a couple of guys that worked for him, it confirmed my suspicions and more. I respect Jack, but I really don't like him.

I’m just getting the story from FRR. So, it explains weeks ago Barney told FRR shop that they would run next year and how it fell apart in 2 week time span. Also, letting everyone know the deal is signed already so MTJ is going to 19. I think Arris is not liking this and that’s why it’s not been announced yet.

Now, in my opinion I think it’s a bad move for MTJ because he will always be 2nd best to KB. He is and will continue to be JGR’s star and get the best stuff. Also, IMO it wasn’t so much he want MTJ as he didn’t want to compete against the whole 78 team and keep getting beat.

I’m just getting the story from FRR. So, it explains weeks ago Barney told FRR shop that they would run next year and how it fell apart in 2 week time span. Also, letting everyone know the deal is signed already so MTJ is going to 19. I think Arris is not liking this and that’s why it’s not been announced yet.

Now, in my opinion I think it’s a bad move for MTJ because he will always be 2nd best to KB. He is and will continue to be JGR’s star and get the best stuff. Also, IMO it wasn’t so much he want MTJ as he didn’t want to compete against the whole 78 team and keep getting beat.
word is Truex was signed with the preacher before Barney announced it quits. Doesn't seem that he looked around much for other opportunities. I've never been much of a Truex fan anyway, and it should be entertaining with him racing with KDB who tends to wreck Truex fairly regularly.

word is Truex was signed with the preacher before Barney announced it quits. Doesn't seem that he looked around much for other opportunities. I've never been much of a Truex fan anyway, and it should be entertaining with him racing with KDB who tends to wreck Truex fairly regularly.

And yes that is correct. Barney had the strict budget already together and Martin went behind Barney’s back and signed with JGR. Barney found out and called it quits on Friday. I think when FRR didn’t sign with Toyota and they pulled out last week is when MJT signed with JGR on Thursday. It really all fell apart in 2 weeks!

MTJ wanted more then a one year deal and Barney wanted one deal of money coming out of his pocket and wasn’t going to give more then a one year deal with not having the sponsorship.

I really hope Preacher Joe said a prayer, read a bible verse and delivered a sermon before he led FRR to Pasture.

I really hope Preacher Joe said a prayer, read a bible verse and delivered a sermon before he led FRR to Pasture.
I imagine 2 Samuel 11 would have fit the occasion nicely. Probably didn't include the last line of the chapter or continue on to chapter 12 though

It's funny with me and Roush. I didn't like him in the 80's in sportscars, because as the Ford guy, he was the enemy, but it was all in fun. Once he got to NASCAR, I decided I really did NOT like him. Once I met a couple of guys that worked for him, it confirmed my suspicions and more. I respect Jack, but I really don't like him.

There were a few years in the '90s where whatever sponsor Geoff Bodine had wound up going to a Roush car.

Now that the announcement is finally out and I have spent time in darlington this weekend with FRR I kinda got more of a grasp on how it fell apart in just a few weeks. Here is mainly how I can explain what I was told by someone very close to Barney. Barney agreed to run next year with a strict budget. The deal was in place for that budget for a year. MJT wanted more money and more then a one year contract. Barney said let’s go one year so that gives enough time to regroup and find a new sponsor. MTJ went behind Barney’s back and signed the deal with JGR on Thursday. Friday all members at the track were told the real deal and to accept offers as FRR would close. This had nothing to do with Barney’s health nor the quadrupled price of JGR alliance fee because Barney was going to pay it for at least one year to give them time. But, when your driver leaves and takes the rest of sponsorship, crew and all it left them with no choice. All deals have deadlines and they were up.

As for the 95...JGR has teamed up to now do the alliance with the 95 like they did with FRR. Since they have basically took them out of business they now are giving the alliance to another team. I’m sure to strong arm them in the future if needed like they did FRR in my opinion. From what I know the 95 will have Suarez as the driver and will run Toyota. Now I have heard Arris is not liking something about the whole deal.

The 19 will be the whole car crew from the 78. The team basically will stay in tack so you will have the 78 team just under JGR number 19. So, instead of buying out FRR he just hit the delete button and got the team. It’s a sad day anyone has that kind of monopoly!

The deal could have worked but Truex decided to go get that dangled carrot that had more money attached that’s rumored and is my opinion. It’s sad and really thought of him as a better person then that. Lost tons of respect for him as dumping a team that made him a champion. A driver don’t do it alone.
I have no doubt that you know crew/team members, you’ve gotten a lot right. But this post isn’t quite accurate. Barney knew people were interviewing, including MTJ. No one was sneaking around. Barney even released Cole & Jazzy from their contracts so they could interview. Also, there was no “strict” budget in place. Joe Garone, team president, wanted that to happen. But Barney was more of the mindset to find the full funding (or at least come close) or call it quits. He truly believed TRD would step up despite being told (for months) they wouldn’t.

This isn’t on MTJ. Yes, JGR definitely didn’t want much to do with the 78 anymore, and certainly screwed them with pricing, but Barney is definitely not without blame as well. He was absolutely horrible at building the kinds of relationships that might have prevented this whole thing, starting with 5hr. Ask your team member friends how many times Barney went out to visit them at their HQ? Or invited them out to Denver to wine & dine & thank them. In case they aren’t sure of the answer, it’s 0. That was a factor in them leaving. There’s A LOT of blame to go around here.

I have no doubt that you know crew/team members, you’ve gotten a lot right. But this post isn’t quite accurate. Barney knew people were interviewing, including MTJ. No one was sneaking around. Barney even released Cole & Jazzy from their contracts so they could interview. Also, there was no “strict” budget in place. Joe Garone, team president, wanted that to happen. But Barney was more of the mindset to find the full funding (or at least come close) or call it quits. He truly believed TRD would step up despite being told (for months) they wouldn’t.

This isn’t on MTJ. Yes, JGR definitely didn’t want much to do with the 78 anymore, and certainly screwed them with pricing, but Barney is definitely not without blame as well. He was absolutely horrible at building the kinds of relationships that might have prevented this whole thing, starting with 5hr. Ask your team member friends how many times Barney went out to visit them at their HQ? Or invited them out to Denver to wine & dine & thank them. In case they aren’t sure of the answer, it’s 0. That was a factor in them leaving. There’s A LOT of blame to go around here.

Haha! Now I have to laugh on this! Much of what I know is hearsay yes but not all of it. I have sat on the bus with her many times while she drank her wine throughout the whole race. So, I know for a fact Joe took care of her at the track! I was there! Now, Barney on the other hand isn’t as flashy and that’s what he pays his workers for. Barney does not hang out at the track. He shows up just a few hours before the race if he decides to come. There has been tons of races that Barney and Carolyn (which I love her) show up with their family and they all are on the bus together. They took well care of their sponsors trust me! Johnny comes and all he wants is Bojangles and to watch racing! Also, 5 hour left because they had a payable note that is due next year. She did not want to pull out but her company had no other choice but she did give Joe contacts of another company to try to find sponsorship.

As for Barney knowing MTJ was interviewing I’m sure he did. It wasn’t hard to figure that it’s was not looking good when Toyato pulled out on Monday of last week. However, FRR did not confirm to the guys until Friday that they were actually closing because Barney made that decision after he found out that MTJ signed with JGR on Thursday. I mean if you have no pit crew, no cars, no engines on Monday it’s safe to say you know what’s coming next and once he found out the driver and crew is gone then what’s left? If you look back at my post when I said “Toyota is out...not looking good” you can pretty much know it’s a done deal but I didn’t hear that yet so if you notice I didn’t post they were closing. Nothing was said of closure for sure until Friday.

As for the budget I know somewhat of it was. I know fact all workers with company cards were forbidden. To buy any alcohol as of 4 weeks ago in the effort to make the strict budget. At the end of the budget that was presented to Barney and approved was 5 million saved and Barney was going to pay the remaining. Part of that budget I KNOW was expenses from company cards to hotels etc...but I heard some of it was taking away from MTJ and bonus money.

Barney did not want to pay it all and I don’t blame him. The deal could have worked if MTJ wanted to stay! He watched after himself which you can’t blame him on that part. I don’t know about Cole’s contract. No one ever speaks about Cole. I can only rely what I hear and what I see!

Barney only does 1 year deals so he don’t have to put himself of spending money so I’m not sure if Cole Pearn had a longer contract. To be honest no one speaks about Cole. The only thing I heard was if MTJ left Cole would go with him.

I love hearing all this stuff from of you. Thanks!

I also know once Joe had the strict budge in place and it was approved by Barney then he gave 500 cash to a worker to buy the alcohol with so it didn’t go on company card. That money came from sells of sets of tires they turned in from the race the week before.

All I can report is what I see, what I hear and then connect the hearsay with the stuff I see and have my own opinion. I tell you guys so you can all have your own opinion. Not here to bash anyone. I talk to Joe, Barney and even MTJ but not all together in their little meetings so I get most of it right but not all but I know for a fact the budget was done and I also know they took care of their sponsors at the track!

I did read it. You just ignored almost everything I said and repeated what you wrote in your last post. That statement in bold is not true. It's hard to be right when the information you're using is not right. Read what Greg posted above and tell me if that bolded statement could be changed to better reflect reality.

If you listened to Harvick last night the information about Barney not wanting to spend money was part of what he relayed in his comments about the situation. Also, he pointed out that Barney's family was rumored to not as enchanted with funding a team as he was. Tie that in with his health and the "money eating engine" that a team is then you get what you got.

I mean, I'm not really sure I can blame MTJ for doing what he did. Who's to say next year something couldn't have happened and his ride shuts down mid season? Always smart to go with something you know is safe. Surely if you want to win.

If you listened to Harvick last night the information about Barney not wanting to spend money was part of what he relayed in his comments about the situation. Also, he pointed out that Barney's family was rumored to not as enchanted with funding a team as he was. Tie that in with his health and the "money eating engine" that a team is then you get what you got.

not really, Harvick was talking about the of ages of the current owners when he asked the question "will their kids want to run a race team"

I also know once Joe had the strict budge in place and it was approved by Barney then he gave 500 cash to a worker to buy the alcohol with so it didn’t go on company card. That money came from sells of sets of tires they turned in from the race the week before.

All I can report is what I see, what I hear and then connect the hearsay with the stuff I see and have my own opinion. I tell you guys so you can all have your own opinion. Not here to bash anyone. I talk to Joe, Barney and even MTJ but not all together in their little meetings so I get most of it right but not all but I know for a fact the budget was done and I also know they took care of their sponsors at the track!

Your insight is much appreciated! It just goes to show that opinions vary even within close circles.

Here I was, a naive fool for thinking that FRR had just demonstrated a solid blueprint for any new small time owners on how to get into NASCAR and build their brands and create equity.

I guess once you’ve climbed the mountain, it doesn’t make sense to do it again. Perhaps there’s nothing left in this sport for the little guy...I for one am very disappointed that NO ONE stepped up, no sponsors, no manufacturers, not NASCAR. Nobody found it to be in their best financial interests to scoop up the DEFENDING series champs, one of the 3 serious contenders this year, and to be frank the best damn team of the past 3 years save for maybe the 18 team.

Sad times, very sad times and I’m not a doom and gloomer.

Also, there should be no doubt about MTJ. He is a champion...in both series...he is a premier driver and top 10 driver without question. Likely a future HOF driver IMO.

Some of us have been watching him since his DEI days. Some of us also witnessed that brief moment in time when MWR had really fast cars...that’s right, it’s not the first time JGR has been outperformed within its own TRD family. MTJ is finally getting his due, and I for one think he just had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time for the first 10 years of his career.

For the first time ever, he has earned the right and got the opportunity to join a true powerhouse team, and people are mad and saying he stabbed Barney in the back? MTJ has been pure class his entire career and I actually look forward to him joining JGR and hopefully getting another 10-15 wins.

Haha! Now I have to laugh on this! Much of what I know is hearsay yes but not all of it. I have sat on the bus with her many times while she drank her wine throughout the whole race. So, I know for a fact Joe took care of her at the track! I was there! Now, Barney on the other hand isn’t as flashy and that’s what he pays his workers for. Barney does not hang out at the track. He shows up just a few hours before the race if he decides to come. There has been tons of races that Barney and Carolyn (which I love her) show up with their family and they all are on the bus together. They took well care of their sponsors trust me! Johnny comes and all he wants is Bojangles and to watch racing! Also, 5 hour left because they had a payable note that is due next year. She did not want to pull out but her company had no other choice but she did give Joe contacts of another company to try to find sponsorship.

As for Barney knowing MTJ was interviewing I’m sure he did. It wasn’t hard to figure that it’s was not looking good when Toyato pulled out on Monday of last week. However, FRR did not confirm to the guys until Friday that they were actually closing because Barney made that decision after he found out that MTJ signed with JGR on Thursday. I mean if you have no pit crew, no cars, no engines on Monday it’s safe to say you know what’s coming next and once he found out the driver and crew is gone then what’s left? If you look back at my post when I said “Toyota is out...not looking good” you can pretty much know it’s a done deal but I didn’t hear that yet so if you notice I didn’t post they were closing. Nothing was said of closure for sure until Friday.

As for the budget I know somewhat of it was. I know fact all workers with company cards were forbidden. To buy any alcohol as of 4 weeks ago in the effort to make the strict budget. At the end of the budget that was presented to Barney and approved was 5 million saved and Barney was going to pay the remaining. Part of that budget I KNOW was expenses from company cards to hotels etc...but I heard some of it was taking away from MTJ and bonus money.

Barney did not want to pay it all and I don’t blame him. The deal could have worked if MTJ wanted to stay! He watched after himself which you can’t blame him on that part. I don’t know about Cole’s contract. No one ever speaks about Cole. I can only rely what I hear and what I see!
I never said FRR wasn't good at track hospitality! Of course they were good! I said Barney was terrible at relationship building. And it hurt him. Big time.

Man, sometimes I wish I could post more candidly. There's so much to this story people will probably not ever know, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. I just hate that this is the way it's ending. It was extremely avoidable, but everyone really seemed to botch the whole deal. Furniture Row Racing is full of amazing people, and was such an incredible story. I hope everyone finds another good job. There's seriously not one bad guy on that team. And in the sport of NASCAR, that's really saying something! There won't ever be another team like them.

Just where is Christopher Bell going to race next year, I am starting to find the answer to that question most interesting.

I was always of the opinion that Truex had a bad luck career. He gets a good ride with DEI after winning his lower series championship then that ride goes all to hell because of a family squabble. Next he goes to CGR where the equipment wasn't all that good and being a winner wasn't an option. Moving on to MWR where he gets unemployed because of the dummies in charge. The only ride available was FRR and they were not a winning team even with Kurt wheeling the car. In comes this fella from Canada ( new CC) the team goes with Toyota and they become successful. ( Lets not forget this was not a team built by Barney, he rented everything from JGR) The combination of Truex and Pern along with the knowledge of JGR and help from Toyota is what made it successful.
Not for one moment do I think Truex did anything wrong. He got the shaft from every team he drove for. He is now only looking out for the end of his career and a chance to make a nest egg. Good for him.
By the way, for those who keep saying KB is the greatest, let me remind you that in cup he is
a lottery champion unlike Martin who earned it racing every week. He also beat Kyle in the very same equipment.
Barnny is rich and not that healthy, take a break and enjoy the money you have.

I never said FRR wasn't good at track hospitality! Of course they were good! I said Barney was terrible at relationship building. And it hurt him.

Man, sometimes I wish I could post more candidly. There's so much to this story people will probably not ever know, but at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. I just hate that this is the way it's ending. It was extremely avoidable, but everyone really seemed to botch the whole deal. Furniture Row Racing is full of amazing people, and was such an incredible story. I hope everyone finds another good job. There's seriously not one bad guy on that team. And in the sport of NASCAR, that's really saying something! There won't ever be another team like them.

Well, I can’t say how Barney is at the shop. I’m from NC so I only see the guys at the track man. I do know Barney and know he isn’t very flashy and down to earth. I can’t see him not taking care of his sponsors only because I see how they do at the track. You must know people to because you know a lot of stuff on the down low too. I see Barney as a simple man but I don’t know him as well as I know Joe or the other guys. I only see him on race days when he comes. He didn’t come to Darlington and Joe pretty much stayed in the bus up til the start of the race. I did get to experience the win in Vegas with them and that’s something JGR or anyone else can’t take from these guys!

Just where is Christopher Bell going to race next year, I am starting to find the answer to that question most interesting.
They will move Denny to the satellite team along with his sponsor and keep Bell.

I can tell you Christopher Bell was suppose to be in the 77 next year...but of course that’s all out the window now since FRR is closing but that original deal before Eric Jones moved to JGR a year early.

I was always of the opinion that Truex had a bad luck career. He gets a good ride with DEI after winning his lower series championship then that ride goes all to hell because of a family squabble. Next he goes to CGR where the equipment wasn't all that good and being a winner wasn't an option. Moving on to MWR where he gets unemployed because of the dummies in charge. The only ride available was FRR and they were not a winning team even with Kurt wheeling the car. In comes this fella from Canada ( new CC) the team goes with Toyota and they become successful. ( Lets not forget this was not a team built by Barney, he rented everything from JGR) The combination of Truex and Pern along with the knowledge of JGR and help from Toyota is what made it successful.
Not for one moment do I think Truex did anything wrong. He got the shaft from every team he drove for. He is now only looking out for the end of his career and a chance to make a nest egg. Good for him.
By the way, for those who keep saying KB is the greatest, let me remind you that in cup he is
a lottery champion unlike Martin who earned it racing every week. He also beat Kyle in the very same equipment.
Barnny is rich and not that healthy, take a break and enjoy the money you have.

Your right on man. MTJ said he has about 3 years left and that’s why he decided not to go one year because they could close next year. I hate he left the guys hanging but I see his side and we all have to look out for ourselves! I just think he is going to be always second best at JGR to KB! My opinion. Guess we will see how it works next year!

I don’t see them moving Denny anywhere yet. He’s a top ten driver.
But for how long and is there even a remote chance of him winning a championship?
How many years has Kyle been there with 1 Lottery Championship. They brought in Kenseth with no luck. Then Carl and he lost it on the last lap. Bell could be Joe's ticket to another
championship.

Also, there should be no doubt about MTJ. He is a champion...in both series...he is a premier driver and top 10 driver without question. Likely a future HOF driver IMO.

Some of us have been watching him since his DEI days. Some of us also witnessed that brief moment in time when MWR had really fast cars...that’s right, it’s not the first time JGR has been outperformed within its own TRD family. MTJ is finally getting his due, and I for one think he just had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time for the first 10 years of his career.

For the first time ever, he has earned the right and got the opportunity to join a true powerhouse team, and people are mad and saying he stabbed Barney in the back? MTJ has been pure class his entire career and I actually look forward to him joining JGR and hopefully getting another 10-15 wins.

I think in peoples eyes the reason why they feel he stabbed Barney in the back is because they were going to run next year and work with what they had if he stayed. He left which is why Barney closed. He is the sole reason many won’t have jobs so you have to look at it from both stand points. People that moved their lives to work in the shop in Denver now will have no jobs but on MTJ side he did what was best for him. Just because they run next year wasn’t guaranteed him a job next year at this time. I saw first hand how JGR pulled apart the pit crew from last year to make the 78 team not beat them this year so my opinion is he will continue to give his star KB the best team and equipment. If he went to SHR he would be second best there behind KH. I just can’t see any other place he could move to that was better then what he had going. Again, my opinion. But, I get it...he is going for what he thinks is best for him. Good luck to him...hope it works out!

But for how long and is there even a remote chance of him winning a championship?
How many years has Kyle been there with 1 Lottery Championship. They brought in Kenseth with no luck. Then Carl and he lost it on the last lap. Bell could be Joe's ticket to another
championship.
Lotta coulda woulda there. Wins is what makes the racing world go ‘round.
Bell isn’t anywhere near winning Cup yet.

Lotta coulda woulda there. Wins is what makes the racing world go ‘round.
Bell isn’t anywhere near winning Cup yet.
But he showing great potential and maturity along with a personality that could attract sponsors.
There is always a gamble.

Back
Top Bottom