Storage building

Damn! Just when I had high hopes you were going to start getting out and moving body parts around.
I'll get going again. Lost my mojo for week or so.

Went and picked up another transmission. Was in Warsaw. Had to do considerable caulking of my truck so didn't sink in a squall but made the trip. 60 bucks. While loading converter fell out, not an issue, and it appears to be a brand new reman. Trans is spotless. Don't know if just a good pressure washing or if been rebuilt. Guy had purchased to use but changed his mind. He doesn't really know if it's broken or not. I'll eventually tear it down. Have two need to disassemble and inspect.

Probably end up removing/replacing roof of shed so have more room before doing anything with trans. Think have everything but some drip edge to do roof of existing structure.. Will leave long overhang on back end. Then when build addition be able to match it up. Use peel & stick gravel surfaced underlayment as temp roof. Shingle in the spring after rest is built.

I'm tossing around possibility of reusing roof. If can "flip it over" to get it off and not damage, use it to swole the whole thing up. Make shed 16?-18?-20? foot wide. Once get the barn rafters up can see if will work. Not sheet lower leg of rafter. Tie old roof to it. Like said, need to get a rafter or three stood up to see what can do. Be nice if could do one side as a lean-to so could park truck under. Black truck has the paint cooked off roof & hood. Yikes!

Uncovered the bones of this wreck. Trimmed the 12 foot 2x4 down to...?

12 foot! My OCD brain couldn't handle them being 1/2ish inch over 12 foot. Need to measure and mark center point so can attach to rafters. And now remember partly why I quit on this. The gambrel rafters I have are somewhat misshapen. I think technically supposed to be 11 foot 3.5 inches. WHY THE EXTRA &^%$& 3.5? For that matter...11 foot? Whhhhhhyyyyy????????

People tend to build on even numbers. Just fits together easier with less cutting. You'd think would be built to span 8 or 10 or 12 or...you get the point. Whhhhhhyyyyy 11 foot? Barn style don't do overhang very well. I have seen them., Short walls. 70% of shed is roof. Me no likey that style.

So...gonna attach rafters to 12ish foot 2x4, set on 10 foot span. WILL create a normal overhang of 7.5ish inches if my maths are correct. Plus creates loft space floor joices. Plywood gusset the ends. Otay buckwheat? Find center, which is 6ft, of twelve foot long 2x4. Draw a vertical line 40ish inches up from 2x4. Now set rafter lining up peak with centerline. Screw small 2x4 blocks to work surface on both sides of rafter. Create a pattern don't you see.

Otay Buttwheat...we have problem. Some rafters, if you measure the span, are 11 foot 2 inches, some are 11 foot 3.5, some are 11 foot 4.5 and some are a mix of that. Mix you say? WTF does that mean? <insert the Seinfeld blooper here>. If you put peak on centerline and set ends against the 2x4, should have 4ish inches of the 12 foot 2x4 sticking out past the end of rafter. If "peak" of rafter is fouled on surface by pattern blocks, center of rafter is...wait for it...centered! In a perfect world, ends would be say 4 inches from end of 12 foot 2x4. Still with me?

Drop rafter in patter and pry the crooked azz end over the 12 foot 2x4. Should HAVE o do any prying...but on we go. Ain't ths FUUUUUN! Rafter is in upper pattern. Ends are setting on 12 foot 2x4...one side is 4.5 inches from end, other 3 inches. HOOOOOW! Because they weren't pressed together correctly. 3 or 4 are obviously messed up. Another 3-4 maybe run a screw thru the joint and pull it?

Or, pry the mending plates off and just put it where I want/it needs to go? Going to gusset anyway. Am I overthinking this? Just a little?

YES! It's what I do. I think the cuts are 22.5 degrees. Some of the joints aren't tight/are tweaked. Just have to make up my mind how to make it work. The rafters I originally intended to build use 4 pieces of 2x4, 46 inches long i think. Ones I have are 2-50" and 2-36 or something like that. Creates a higher loft space and more vertical lower roof section. It's possible end up using them for firewood and just build my own. Like I started to do.

Random pictures with little or no explanation

Attachments

• IMG_20240909_130309667_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240909_130309667_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20240909_130301819.jpg
    IMG_20240909_130301819.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20240909_130235823.jpg
    IMG_20240909_130235823.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_20240909_130229552.jpg
    IMG_20240909_130229552.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20240909_130206862.jpg
    IMG_20240909_130206862.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 244
Ok. Stewed on it today. Know the path forward. I'll try to completely disassemble the truss and make them fit. Get them to 11 foot? Like the idea of an overhang. Question about disassembly is how much damage the 2x4's will incur. Also considering not assembling them into a 11 foot span. Leave them in two 5ish foot sections. Possibly build with a ridge pole. Unusual in sheds but makes the roof peak nice and flat. The old roof looks like a 30 y/o workhorse. Probably 4" sag over 10 foot length. Was approaching a flat roof at middle. Very poor build design though so not surprising.

Maybe tear some zhit up tomorrow? Worst case, use some part of them to build my own.

I did a thing. Dome light switch been broken for years. I will say one thing, if could do my cataract surgery over, would choose close-up vision be priority. Just sucks not being able see to do much of anything. Glasses correction don't really work considering you tend to look up/down away from the correction area. Meh. At least speed of getting stuff done is fairly irrelevant although REALLY tough on my brain. Just frustrated. But dome light works again. I'd forgotten it has about 10 second delay. Thought replacement switch was no good. Also forgot the module leaves accessory power on until dome light goes off. Shut truck off, toss keys in door pocket, roll windows down little. Cause always forget to roll them down...like little air flow thru.

Attachments

• IMG_20240912_100223033.jpg
    IMG_20240912_100223033.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Had to drop the underpanel as couldn't get hand around corner next to fuse panel even with it moved to plug switch in. But she works now! Probably 1/2 hour job. One problem is the junk sockets I have. Too much lead-in taper. Just won't stay on screw.

Trying something. Used upper section of the barn style, cut my own lowers. If stack on 2x4 as shown, 3.5 inch overhang. Perfect. Now have to build a jig to make sure they all the same. To be clear, 2x4 span board as shown is 12 foot. Not sure if shorten before assembly or after in place. Want to install gutters. Think take one inch off. Use 2x6 for facia.

Attachments

• IMG_20240915_185209731.jpg
    IMG_20240915_185209731.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom