Tony Stewart running over someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow our cooler at RA was packed with 16-oz tallboys of beer.

So, yes.

Actually, I didn't drink that much because I was driving and the Wisconsin State Patrol camps out on the highways to and from Road America during race weeks to catch the rich FIBs buzzing up there in their BMWs at 90 mph.

What did ESPN's in-race coverage say about the Stewart thing?

pre race they talked about it but they didn't trash Ward or Stewart nor should they. In race, they talked about how diffcult this must be for Regan Smith.. Not really much about Stewart.

z7kizaL.gif

I think it was the shot from the grassy knoll.

There ya go. On a smaller scale this is our November 22nd 1963.

One camp will Zapruder this thing to oblivion and try to pin this on Stewart for the rest of his natural life. It will become a small industry for opportunist to make a buck or simply get a little attention. When Tony goes into the nascar HoF (and he will) they will be equally relentless.

Last nights tragedy wasnt planned and folks are judging Tony for an event that could not have been foreseen. As respectfully as I can be to the deceased he came at Stewarts car and a pedestrian is the last thing a driver should expect.

Tony is a great driver but he isnt superman. Riding around under the caution is the closet thing there is to a timeout. But it isnt.

Out there in the car pacing a caution the drivers mind is going a million miles an hour mentally torturing the technical points. Whats the best line, the cars weakness and stengths, what do I need to do on the restart, how can I get the drop on the guy in front of me on the restart, what kind of trickery will he pull?

Then boom out of the blue some pedestrian comes at your car, on a track and in the arena and you have no time to react. In the same instant it is over.

You are left greiving too, while the blogging posse that for the most part has no idea of what you experienced gathers to stalk you for the rest of your life. Even more for eternity because they will even stalk your legacy long after your life is done.

The loss of Kevin Ward Jr.'s life is the tragedy his life should be respected. But Tony suffers too, I wouldn't want to be a party to increasing that pain.
Everyone is hurting, assigning false blame only makes it worse for everyone imo.

One camp will Zapruder this thing to oblivion and try to pin this on Stewart for the rest of his natural life. It will become a small industry for opportunist to make a buck or simply get a little attention. When Tony goes into the nascar HoF (and he will) they will be equally relentless.

Last nights tragedy wasnt planned and folks are judging Tony for an event that could not have been foreseen. As respectfully as I can be to the deceased he came at Stewarts car and a pedestrian is the last thing a driver should expect.

Tony is a great driver but he isnt superman. Riding around under the caution is the closet thing there is to a timeout. But it isnt.

Out there in the car pacing a caution the drivers mind is going a million miles an hour mentally torturing the technical points. Whats the best line, the cars weakness and stengths, what do I need to do on the restart, how can I get the drop on the guy in front of me on the restart, what kind of trickery will he pull?

Then boom out of the blue some pedestrian comes at your car, on a track and in the arena and you have no time to react. In the same instant it is over.

You are left greiving too, while the blogging posse that for the most part has no idea of what you experienced gathers to stalk you for the rest of your life. Even more for eternity because they will even stalk your legacy long after your life is done.

The loss of Kevin Ward Jr.'s life is the tragedy his life should be respected. But Tony suffers too, I wouldn't want to be a party to increasing that pain.
Everyone is hurting, assigning false blame only makes it worse for everyone imo.

Here, here.

I like your words.
Tony wears this label forever, no matter what.

Wisdom as always TRL. Like everyone, I'm incredibly sick over this unfortunate tragedy. I've gone to sprint car races my whole life and have seen many things, including fatalities, but nothing like this. It's eerily reminiscent of the Armando Teran incident during the1973 Indy 500 though the circumstances were different.

As sad as this situation is, it's important to look at the facts as we know it. The move Tony made on the track was a classic slide job which you'll see at every dirt track race. The person getting slid makes a choice to try to clear the slider on the high side or let off and hammer it underneath them coming off the corner. Dirt track 101 there. Ward thought he could clear Tony apparently and obviously made the wrong choice. Not Tony's fault there and at worst, a racing deal.

The next part where Ward immediately got out of the car on a TURN to waive his arms at Tony was simply crazy. By all accounts he was a nice young man but the heat of the moment simply got the better of him. For anyone who hasn't walked on a dirt track before, you can't imagine how slick it is, similar to ice. I've wiped it walking on a straightaway before let alone the turns. In this case, you can clearly see Ward walking closer and closer to the groove which is insane no matter how fast they're going. The right side of sprint car wings are lowered making visibility very poor. Combine that with lighting that isn't the best at dirt tracks as well as ward sporting a black racing suit and helmet and it's really no surprise that he got hit. The driver in front of tony had to take abrupt action as well.

From here, it seems the there's a question of whether Tony try to hit him or not. Really? As mad as smoke and other competitors get sometimes, no one is trying to run over anyone. If he did see him, it was most likely the last second and he tried to swerve. Let's not lose our minds here.

All in all, this is very sad but Ward made a bad choice and paid for it with his life. Sick over this but he needs to at least share some accountability. Not trying to be cruel, just the way I see it. God bless the Ward family and smoke.
I agree with TRL, good post Wade.

Here, here.

Just wanted to note I wasnt addressing my criticism toward you.
I was just thinking about the magnitude or significance, and I do think many of us will not be able to forget. Then I read your "grassy knoll" and it just clicked.

Should be an eye opener for anyone that watches the news all the time & relies on their reports for information of the world around them.

Every media outlet has contorted this event to make it look like a deliberate attempt at murder, which we all know to be an asinine claim.

Just imagine all the other reports these news outlets throw out there 24/7. How true are they? Its disturbing to say the least.

Any time the media reports on something considered to be "lower class" entertainment like NASCAR or professional wrestling, they get so many facts wrong that it is ridiculous.

As far as Tony goes, I still think he should take the rest of the year off. At the very least, he's likely to have unresolved mental/guilt issues over this that he needs to sort out because he can return to racing with a clear head.

Any time the media reports on something considered to be "lower class" entertainment like NASCAR or professional wrestling, they get so many facts wrong that it is ridiculous.

As far as Tony goes, I still think he should take the rest of the year off. At the very least, he's likely to have unresolved mental/guilt issues over this that he needs to sort out because he can return to racing with a clear head.

He might need to race to help get right...

He might need to race to help get right...

Grief and sports counseling would help a lot. He's out of Chase contention now, he has nothing to race for (aside from love and money, obviously).

As long as the media continues to rake Stewart over the coals, it won't be good for NASCAR to have him out there.

As a race car driver, racing is probably his greatest catharsis.

drivers getting out of their car after an incident to run onto the track to point at the thought to be offending driver, or to throw a helmet or steering wheel at him as he passes by on the yellow would not have been tolerated back in the day, but has become the thing to do as of late. its a wonder something like this hasn't already happened/ well now it has and this nonsense has to stop! its up to the track owners and promoters as well a the promoters of various series to insist that drivers not run out onto the track like this and to disqualify them from the nights program as well as the next program as well, with additional suspensions involved should they do it again. it must be stopped and shouldn't be that hard to stop, and wouldn't be that hard to stop if the promoters would stop enabling these hot heads in order to put more butts in the bleachers!

Well I haven't been here in a long time and this certainly was not what I expected to bring me back.

Shame that this happened but it didn't look intentional to me. There are a lot of professional athletes who have committed actual crimes on purpose. I think Tony will be back in his car at some point and his ownership will still be in tact. He won't do any jail time.

Going through this thread there are some high emotions but a lot of unrealistic posts of what is going to come out of this. This was just a dumb avoidable accident. What a waste of a young life.

Last edited:
Steward (s) is acceptable and indicates that one has great intelligence.

I've seen FIA sanctioned races that show the word "steward" obviously means the exact opposite. Ha. :D

Last edited:
I wonder if Stewart running his mouth like that on numerous occasions may come back to haunt him.

And where is his GoPro footage?

I wonder if Stewart running his mouth like that on numerous occasions may come back to haunt him.

And where is his GoPro footage?

A) I hope not.

B) I assume the police have it and have reviewed it.

C) wtf am I doing? Why am I reading news reports saying the same thing late at night for the second night in a row.. On a damn Sunday night no less.

A) I hope not.

B) I assume the police have it and have reviewed it.

C) wtf am I doing? Why am I reading news reports saying the same thing late at night for the second night in a row.. On a damn Sunday night no less.
I, like you hope that Tony has nothing to worry about and I await all the facts. They ARE necessary because a life has been lost.

....ps. Its monday night.

.....here ;)

I was getting into bed when I realized I never followed up on this post:
Frame by framed the track video. Doesn't look good for Tony. I think there's more to this than meets the eye.

I had frame-by-framed the ESPN video, and it shows Ward bent forward with his hands out as if to stop Tony's car. Just as Ward goes out of view behind Tony's car, Tony's front wheels turn HARD to the right. This is the move I thought he may have to explain, as all reports I heard said Ward was struck by the right rear ONLY.

The video is dark. Since I can't grab the Youtube and lighten it up, I made a video of my PC screen and lightened that up a bit. Couple things I learned. First, the audio you hear is from cars passing in front of the camera, which is on the other side of the track. I'm not sure Tony even revved his engine, as it seems in the video. I had wondered why he would do that when he was so close to the wreck, where you have to expect emergency personnel to be standing or walking near the wreck.

Second, Tony's right FRONT tire seems to hit Ward's left leg first, which causes his front wheels to turn hard right. Ward seems to barrel over Tony's front wheel and he gets caught up in the rear wheel. Horribly, his head and hand pass into view at the rear of the car several times, which indicates he was wrapped around the tire. As Tony's car continues to turn right, Ward may have come into contact with his own car and is knocked free and slides down the track.

It's very hard to tell, but Ward seemed a little unsteady. He may have been woozy from the wreck. Tragic incident. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the police report says, but my questions are answered for now. I had wondered if Tony had tried to make a quick move under Ward, which would have been a dumb thing to do, but now it seems to me he was just idling by like everyone else and didn't see the guy. Maybe his eyes aren't as good as the guy in front of him.

From Andy's tweet.

FOX Sports Live's Rob Becker says Tony Stewart will be indicted for manslaughter.

Holy crap! I guess there are questions yet to be answered.

From Andy's tweet.

FOX Sports Live's Rob Becker says Tony Stewart will be indicted for manslaughter.

Holy crap! I guess there are questions yet to be answered.

Wait what? And as far as I know, this guy is a legal "analyst". How would he have that info? Knowing for sure he WILL be indicted...

I was getting into bed when I realized I never followed up on this post:

I had frame-by-framed the ESPN video, and it shows Ward bent forward with his hands out as if to stop Tony's car. Just as Ward goes out of view behind Tony's car, Tony's front wheels turn HARD to the right. This is the move I thought he may have to explain, as all reports I heard said Ward was struck by the right rear ONLY.

The video is dark. Since I can't grab the Youtube and lighten it up, I made a video of my PC screen and lightened that up a bit. Couple things I learned. First, the audio you hear is from cars passing in front of the camera, which is on the other side of the track. I'm not sure Tony even revved his engine, as it seems in the video. I had wondered why he would do that when he was so close to the wreck, where you have to expect emergency personnel to be standing or walking near the wreck.

Second, Tony's right FRONT tire seems to hit Ward's left leg first, which causes his front wheels to turn hard right. Ward seems to barrel over Tony's front wheel and he gets caught up in the rear wheel. Horribly, his head and hand pass into view at the rear of the car several times, which indicates he was wrapped around the tire. As Tony's car continues to turn right, Ward may have come into contact with his own car and is knocked free and slides down the track.

It's very hard to tell, but Ward seemed a little unsteady. He may have been woozy from the wreck. Tragic incident. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the police report says, but my questions are answered for now. I had wondered if Tony had tried to make a quick move under Ward, which would have been a dumb thing to do, but now it seems to me he was just idling by like everyone else and didn't see the guy. Maybe his eyes aren't as good as the guy in front of him.
I think this is good analysis. It never looked to me like tony punched the gas and his car seemed to turn because of the contact with Ward, not to initiate or even avoid it.
Everything was just so crazy last night with Twitter blowing up and people jumping to conclusions because of it.
As someone else noted earlier in this thread, you could really see the evolution of opinion shift as the night wore on and more info became available. The people who came to this late mostly seemed to be more sympathetic with Stewart as opposed to calling him a blatant murderer as many wanted to at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom