Tony Stewart running over someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff Andy.

I agree with Wally. While not the same thing, this is the equivalent to eliminating endzone dances in the NFL. Or making a rule saying football players have to wait until the clock hits zero before running out on the field to celebrate a win. Although, that's only speaking to emotion, not safety.

Getting out of the car to confront another driver isn't the only reason people get out of their cars. Obviously, getting out if the car is on fire is common sense. But, sometimes they get out to survey damage and decide if they need to pit (under a red scenario for example) or something.

This kind of stuff can happen in pit road, after a race. Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick's actions at Darlington a few years ago could have seriously hurt somebody.

It almost seems like Ward misjudged his positioning on the track and tried to jump out of the way at the last second but got snagged by Tony's car.
Thats how I see it...although I think Stewart was going quicker than the dude in front of him.

off topic a bit, but dirt sprints are dangerous animals. when I was working for a sprint team after the race the pits would be opened up for the fans to come in. One of the drivers after getting weighed was coming to his trailer and ran right up the leg of a fan before he could get it shut down, close calls like that happened a lot in the pits. Had another driver that hit a guardrail at the end of the straight, the guardrail's end was turned down. It made a perfect ramp, the car sailed over the fence hit the top of a hauler in the pits kept going and ended up in the outside pit fence. Driver broke both legs an ankle and had back injuries, he lived but he never raced again. People who race them and the fans that go know this stuff happens quite often. I've seen some crazy stuff happen with those ground shakers.

Thats how I see it...although I think Stewart was going quicker than the dude in front of him.

I really don't know what Kevin Ward was thinking. The only times I've seen drivers get that close to another driver was when they intended to grab on to the car to jump in and assault the other driver (Mike Robertson at the circus). I mean, I really don't know.

and 14 goes up banking frame by frame after impact.....wheels turning right.

almost like ward was playing chicken w/ 14 and tony never saw him... til impact. ??

That's what I was thinking. I believe Tony didn't see Ward until the last second.

Tony is also coming out of a turn, so Ward may have been in view for only a split second before impact, and that's assuming Tony was looking in the right place.

I really don't know what Kevin Ward was thinking. The only times I've seen drivers get that close to another driver was when they intended to grab on to the car to jump in and assault the other driver (Mike Robertson at the circus). I mean, I really don't know.
I thought the same thing and you have to get really close..too close to do that to a moving car.

Here's my interview with Wally.

http://race22.com/nbcs-dallenbach-says-rule-changes-take-emotion-away-from-sport/

Also spoke with Kingsport/Lonesome Pine GM about the rule change.

Wally has a lot of great points, IMO, not just as someone who calls the races but as a former driver and a father himself.

So, um, interesting day for this to be featured on Heart of Racing, yes?
10574472_10201663956000264_7523852002910517475_n.jpg

It would be interesting to hear Chuck Hebing's #45 story as he's the car directly in front of Tony which appears to turn away at the very last moment.

This whole thing is ugly. This isn't the type of media attention the sport needs. The (probable) civil suit will drag on unless there's an out-of-court settlement. All of the negative, speculative commentary is not going to be in Stewart's favor if there is a lawsuit.

Kevin's aunt, called him a "piss head" and the only meaning I can find is drunkard. Was it a slip or an endearing term?..................:idunno:

Tony might have had a GoPro on board, I am sure other video will surface. If Tony moved up the track and accelerated to mess around then that is second degree murder in New York under recklessness. Same as whipping doughnuts in a parking lot and accidentally killing someone. If visibility is a problem in those cars then people would get run over all the time, and they don't. Link for law.
http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0125.25_125.25.html

Tony might have had a GoPro on board, I am sure other video will surface. If Tony moved up the track and accelerated to mess around then that is second degree murder in New York under recklessness. Same as whipping doughnuts in a parking lot and accidentally killing someone. If visibility is a problem in those cars then people would get run over all the time, and they don't. Link for law.

After reading the interview Ward's Sr it's pretty obvious that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

People would get run over all the time?! Where in the hell do you think they race? On dark sidewalks where idiots are jumping in front of them wearing black suits and helmets?

It would be interesting to hear Chuck Hebing's #45 story as he's the car directly in front of Tony which appears to turn away at the very last moment.

I posted this earlier in the thread somewhere. This was posted by a former sprint car driver that works on Hebing's #45:

i have driven these cars,the right side board on the top wing will block out an entire car let alone a person standing there,i now work on the 45 car in the video and the driver said he just saw him at the last second and just missed him,Tony had even less time to react to the situation.people in the stands or watching this video have no idea how fast these thing happen and how limited our view is inside the car.it was a very bad turn of events that happened but we all know the dangers involved in the sport we love. - https://www.facebook.com/mark.tychoniewicz?fref=ts

I posted this earlier in the thread somewhere. This was posted by a former sprint car driver that works on Hebing's #45:

i have driven these cars,the right side board on the top wing will block out an entire car let alone a person standing there,i now work on the 45 car in the video and the driver said he just saw him at the last second and just missed him,Tony had even less time to react to the situation.people in the stands or watching this video have no idea how fast these thing happen and how limited our view is inside the car.it was a very bad turn of events that happened but we all know the dangers involved in the sport we love. - https://www.facebook.com/mark.tychoniewicz?fref=ts
Everyone keeps sayin' you cant see out of this car especially to the right.....well you can see out the front and that is a fact.
DSCF0971_small.jpg

The blue car behind Tony was almost at a complete stop by the time he got to the wrecked car where the hit took place. He was on the bottom of the track, off the track, and almost at a stop. The kid wasn't in front of the blue 45, he was off to the side. The kid was pointing at tony and tony knew it. Like I said, tony is known to have a GoPro on board but it doesn't matter, there will be another video that proves Tony saw him.

Slo mo video is leading some to the conclusion that Ward tried to jump onto the right side Stewart's car. Video isn't great quality, but it looks like there may be some merit to that. It looks like he may grab hold of the top of the wing and then it bends down as he falls off.

He was jumping out of the way, hanging on to the fin to stop getting sucked under. Tony started further down the track because that's where the guy was pointing, Tony moved up the track to scare him and it worked. He tried to jump out of the way.

Slo mo video is leading some to the conclusion that Ward tried to jump onto the right side Stewart's car. Video isn't great quality, but it looks like there may be some merit to that. It looks like he may grab hold of the top of the wing and then it bends down as he falls off.

That seems to show the 14 sliding up toward Ward before there is contact.

He was jumping out of the way, hanging on to the fin to stop getting sucked under. Tony started further down the track because that's where the guy was pointing, Tony moved up the track to scare him and it worked. He tried to jump out of the way.

:rolleyes:

Everyone keeps sayin' you cant see out of this car especially to the right.....well you can see out the front and that is a fact.
View attachment 14213

Pretty sure those wings can be adjusted to suit the track. The front wing (and right side visability) could have been lower or higher (too).

And oval tracks are obviously left hand or oriented. Typically a driver will be more focused or favor that side. Doesn't mean he did not see him, but I could believe it.

Pretty sure those wings can be adjusted to suit the track. The front wing (and right side visability) could have been lower or higher (too).

And oval tracks are obviously left hand or oriented. Typically a driver will be more focused or favor that side. Doesn't mean he did not see him, but I could believe it.
Sure, but it still funny to have a sanctioned series that drivers race HP beasts that they apparenttly can't see out of. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom