Tony Stewart running over someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure don't like to see anything pined on NASCAR over this. My thought's are only slightly different than yours though..... This was all a freak accident that could have been avoided if common sense had prevailed. Had he kept that buffer zone in between himself and Stewart we wouldn't all be here debating the same points over and over. He could have easily jumped out of his car and stayed well above the racing line and made his displeasure with Stewart known. Heading down the track was a foolish move that cost him his life. I'm not so sure that there needs to be a rule to dictate common sense. I'd hope that everyone's learned from what happens last Saturday. Personally, I like seeing the personalities on display from these drivers. A rule to quash that pretty much goes against everything that many of us have been asking for as NASCAR fans, including me.

What nascar should do is separate the Apples from the Oranges and explain (to the clueless media and politicians) the differences between dirt and pavement, sprint cars and Sprint cup cars, and well lit and dimly lit tracks.

I think he may have been pointing at the 14 while it was still in turn 1
image.jpg

I do not think drivers should be forced to stay in their cars after a spin. I do think they should have to stay very close to their car unless the car is on fire, and precisely follow the instructions of the safety crew.

I will not loose anything if I never see another tantrum with the associated pouting, throwing the helment and gear, etc.... BTW it has become too predictable and isnt even original.

Bumping people on pit road after the cool down lap should warrant stiff discipline. Stuff like Harvick (my favorite driver) stoping in and obstructing an opposing offending pit stall , and the fiasco between him and Kyle at Darlington 2011 should be disciplined as well.

I am not claiming any special wisdom, I didnt complain any prior to last week. But after that trajedy it has become obvious that some things have to be done, and the demands are more clear.

Those tantrums have nothing to do with good racing. A placebo at best and a poor excuse for good racing.
Real racing is stuff like the Ambrose/Dinger duel over the last few laps at the Glen, and good epic battles at the local track.

I am sure Nascar, other sanctioning bodies , and local promoters will get tagged as the fun police. But they have responsibilities, even legal ones to enforce. It would be great if we could just depend on everyone to act responsibly and use some common sense. We all know the law of Assumptions.

Last of all when the new guidelines are implemented, those Dillion cowboy hats should be banned too, just because they are stupid.

I'm sure the locals watching the race were completely sober and all experts in Sprint cars mechanics, forensics and trajectory ballistics.

Let the experts draw their own conclusions and go from there. I really have a hard time understanding some of the folks that are saying he ran him over intentionally. The kid was standing in a racing groove, on the track during the race. At some point in time I think people need to look at it and say the kid made a tragic mistake in doing that.

Now that is just silly. If he jumped onto Ward's car it would have been out of fear for his life.

Speculation and conjecture is running rapid in this horribly tragic mishap. The only one able to answer for his actions is gone so it will be left up to others to fill in the blank spaces. I find it hard to believe Tony Stewart, or any other driver would willfully with intent even think of injuring, maiming or killing a fellow competitor. If proven otherwise (glad I don't have to make that decision) he should be prosecuted according to the law.

What you or I consider "silly" may not to professional investigators.

If you clip somebody on the highway and they get out of their car and run onto the road to show their displeasure with you, they have now taken their life into their own hands. Somebody comes by and hits them in the process, how can anyone blame the driver?

A race track is for racing, not pedestrian traffic. It's the one place you're not supposed to be walking on. Furthermore if Tony really wanted to send him a message, I'm sure he would have after the race, face to face as he has done many times in the past.

Harvick defends Stewart in wake of racing death

Kevin Harvick defended his boss and friend Tony Stewart, saying the three-time NASCAR champion would never try and run down another driver.

Kevin Ward Jr. was sent into the wall when his car was bumped by Stewart's in a dirt-track race Saturday night in Canandaigua. Ward got out of the car and walked onto the track, where he was hit by Stewart.

"Tony Stewart is a great person," Harvick said Wednesday. "I know in my heart he would never do anything like that on purpose. We just have to let it all play out. I do know that Tony is a great friend of mine, I've known him a long time, and he probably has the biggest heart of anybody in that garage. He's a really good person and would never do anything like that on purpose."
Harvick, Kurt Busch, Danica Patrick and Stewart make up the four-car team at Stewart-Haas Racing.

Stewart has not announced if he'll race Sunday in the NASCAR event at Michigan

No charges have been filed against Stewart, but they are still possible.

"There a lot of things going on, a lot of things you don't understand, with the sensitivity of the situation," Harvick said. "I spent some time with the team just making sure everyone's ready to go this weekend. If you look at what's going on with our specific race team, I feel like the guys are ready to go."

Link to story

If you clip somebody on the highway and they get out of their car and run onto the road to show their displeasure with you, they have now taken their life into their own hands. Somebody comes by and hits them in the process, how can anyone blame the driver?

A race track is for racing, not pedestrian traffic. It's the one place you're not supposed to be walking on. Furthermore if Tony really wanted to send him a message, I'm sure he would have after the race, face to face as he has done many times in the past.

I posted that clip because I believe some of the people who have just showed up don't have any idea what a dirt sprint car is and how fast things happen. Visibility isn't the greatest in broad daylight, much less at night. The very last part of the clip he shuts it down and is doing a sprint car's rendition of idling. Even that is pretty fast.

I posted that clip because I believe some of the people who have just showed up don't have any idea what a dirt sprint car is and how fast things happen. Visibility isn't the greatest in broad daylight, much less at night. The very last part of the clip he shuts it down and is doing a sprint car's rendition of idling. Even that is pretty fast.

Yeah, it's crazy the people chiming in on something they haven't got the slightest clue about. These talking heads and folks clamouring for Tony's head on a stick, are the same people that want to ban hockey fights, they want to outlaw MMA, and so on but they don't have any credentials or expertise whatsoever.

Without getting too political, I'm just tired of this nanny state world we're living in. Everybody want to sue this and that because they choose to do something stupid. When does the responsibility for ones actions actually get owned? We live in a supposedly free world, where we can make our own choices however stupid they may be. I'm just sick and tired of when people make stupid decisions and they shift the blame, and culpability to other parties. Tony has no fault in this situation IMO, Ward made a decision to put himself in harms way.

I'll admit, I am guilty of feeding the trolls and baiting and switching the phish to let them run only to set the hook deeper. My actions aren't necessarily in defense of Smoke, but racing in general. Many folks won't even give the sport a second thought until a tragedy of this magnitude occurs believing this is all we look forward to as fans.

Desert racing is not one of the biggest spectator sports as it's difficult to view. It is the type racing I love most and loved being involved with. It's just a wildly different skill set than most of the other type disciplines in motorsports. Early on I was warned about racing and getting it in your blood, it's more than a thrill or passion it is a "LOVE" beyond explanation from Owners, Drivers/Riders, Crews and especially the Fans.

I take attacks on my sport seriously and will defend it at all cost from the unknowing or unwilling that bother to even take the time to learn the basics. If I am wrong then so be it but attack my sport you're doing the same as attacking my family.

I have never had the opportunity to drive a sprint car but have been able to sit in a few, it beats the hell outta me how those guys can even race those things without running over each other. With the wing hanging down on the right side and all the other stuff in the way of the drivers vision it seems to me that driving in traffic has to be a crazy experience, I respect the hell out of ANYBODY that drives one of those machines. No way a person on foot should ever be on that track when there are cars circulating,

I sat in this one at Eldora while I was there for the first truck race when no one was around. You can't see crap out of the right side of it and sitting there it made me wonder at the skill and commitment of the drivers. Just standing next to that powerful sumbitch gave me a great deal of respect for the car and the drivers.

upload_2014-8-14_11-4-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-14_10-55-52.png
    upload_2014-8-14_10-55-52.png
    654.9 KB · Views: 167
I'll admit, I am guilty of feeding the trolls and baiting and switching the phish to let them run only to set the hook deeper. My actions aren't necessarily in defense of Smoke, but racing in general. Many folks won't even give the sport a second thought until a tragedy of this magnitude occurs believing this is all we look forward to as fans.

Desert racing is not one of the biggest spectator sports as it's difficult to view. It is the type racing I love most and loved being involved with. It's just a wildly different skill set than most of the other type disciplines in motorsports. Early on I was warned about racing and getting it in your blood, it's more than a thrill or passion it is a "LOVE" beyond explanation from Owners, Drivers/Riders, Crews and especially the Fans.

I take attacks on my sport seriously and will defend it at all cost from the unknowing or unwilling that bother to even take the time to learn the basics. If I am wrong then so be it but attack my sport you're doing the same as attacking my family.

I know quite a few people that believe that racing fans are a lower life form, I dont let this kind of stuff bother me unless they become too vocal. I dont understand why people like football so I dont expect them to understand why I enjoy racing. All sports are filled with controversy and participants behaving badly, racers are some of the best behaved athletes around IMO

I sat in this one at Eldora, when no one was around, while I was there for the first truck race. You can't see crap out of the right side of it and sitting there it made me wonder at the skill and commitment of the drivers. Just standing next to that powerful sumbitch gave me a great deal of respect for the car and the drivers.

View attachment 14220

Just sitting in one instantly doubled my heart rate, they are evil little monsters.

Yeah, it's crazy the people chiming in on something they haven't got the slightest clue about. These talking heads and folks clamouring for Tony's head on a stick, are the same people that want to ban hockey fights, they want to outlaw MMA, and so on but they don't have any credentials or expertise whatsoever.

Without getting too political, I'm just tired of this nanny state world we're living in. Everybody want to sue this and that because they choose to do something stupid. When does the responsibility for ones actions actually get owned? We live in a supposedly free world, where we can make our own choices however stupid they may be. I'm just sick and tired of when people make stupid decisions and they shift the blame, and culpability to other parties. Tony has no fault in this situation IMO, Ward made a decision to put himself in harms way.

I don't know about all that, I would like to believe it is a different bunch of uninformed fools trash out those sports. :biggrin: probably not though. I know I am not a great fan of either hockey or MMA, don't follow them real close, and I don't know squat about stick n ball, but I sure am not goofy enough to find a board and start posting. Blasting away about issues I know nothing about. It didn't take long to figure out they didn't know squat about sprint car racing.

Getting a bit off subject, I remember back in the day, 80's when Steve Kinser was it. He came to Tulsa for a world of outlaws race. The track was charging ten more bucks a head than normal entry for the race and the parking lot was overflowing with cars all the way back to the highway and cars were parking on the off ramp 1/4 mile away. So although I haven't been to a race where Stewart showed up, I know what a star showing up does for the local racing community. It's a big race with big prize money. So when I hear these goofs talking about the rich guy with all this and that wa wa wa, they don't have a clue what guys like Tony are doing to help the racing community. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

http://www.chucko.com/racing/fallen-heroes.html
Fallen Heroes of Sprint Car Racing

Part of the excitement of sprint car racing is the danger. Clip another car's wheels, or enter a corner too hard, and you may find yourself upside down in short order. More often than not, the driver climbs out of the wreck unaided, and returns the next week or later that same night.

O/T ?, Just kind of how I remembered things when I first found out about racing.

I don't know about all that, I would like to believe it is a different bunch of uninformed fools trash out those sports. :biggrin: probably not though. I know I am not a great fan of either hockey or MMA, don't follow them real close, and I don't know squat about stick n ball, but I sure am not goofy enough to find a board and start posting. Blasting away about issues I know nothing about. It didn't take long to figure out they didn't know squat about sprint car racing.

I'm talking more about the pundits on TV, people that have no interest in the sport to begin with. When those people start weighing in on it, it drives me nuts because they don't know anything about the sport not do they care about what happens to it. Just pushing their own agenda.

Getting a bit off subject, I remember back in the day, 80's when Steve Kinser was it. He came to Tulsa for a world of outlaws race. The track was charging ten more bucks a head than normal entry for the race and the parking lot was overflowing with cars all the way back to the highway and cars were parking on the off ramp 1/4 mile away. So although I haven't been to a race where Stewart showed up, I know what a star showing up does for the local racing community. It's a big race with big prize money. So when I hear these goofs talking about the rich guy with all this and that wa wa wa, they don't have a clue what guys like Tony are doing to help the racing community. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

Makes me wonder how many of the "little guys" are pissed when Tony races with them, surely Tony brings the very best equipment to these races, most likely this may make the locals very un-happy

Makes me wonder how many of the "little guys" are pissed when Tony races with them, surely Tony brings the very best equipment to these races, most likely this may make the locals very un-happy
well, that is some more of the hose carp that whiners cry about that doesn't make any sense.. When I worked on a pit crew, we were jacked up and ready to go, prize money was doubled..I never ran into anybody that was crying about the big boys showing up. Only around here. i was surprised when I was new around here about all the whining and complaining. I watched cup guys for years race in the lower series and never gave it a thought somebody anybody would be crying about it. I guess the overflowing stands at the track makes people start crying..in fact the reason the world of outlaws was started was specifically to bring the stars to smaller local tracks to compete with the locals and give the struggling tracks some needed revenue....some people will never get it I guess.

Good point. If a pro took over a track on a regular basis yes, lots of folks would be unhappy. I would imagine Tony would just donate all his winnings for the evening to the track using their discretion concerning a local charity. On the other hand, I'm sure Kevin relished the thought of going against the best and see how he matched up. I could be wrong though.

We need an agree button??

well, that is some more of the hose carp that whiners cry about that doesn't make any sense.. When I worked on a pit crew, we were jacked up and ready to go, prize money was doubled..I never ran into anybody that was crying about the big boys showing up. Only around here. i was surprised when I was new around here about all the whining and complaining. I watched cup guys for years race in the lower series and never gave it a thought somebody anybody would be crying about it. I guess the overflowing stands at the track makes people start crying..in fact the reason the world of outlaws was started was specifically to bring the stars to smaller local tracks to compete with the locals and give the struggling tracks some needed revenue....some people will never get it I guess.

What is a "hose carp" ???

well again, people that don't know squat about sprint car racing, just think Tony shows up and he wins. Every track is different, gearing, Tire stagger, and the dirt itself, does it get tacky or glass up by the feature. Length, banking, the locals have a pretty good advantage. They race around each other and know how each other drives.

Not much different than the "Cup guy in Nationwide" argument, IMO. Doing it once in awhile is OK but doing it all the time gets old. In Tony's case with the Sprint cars though, he's probably spreading his activity across enough different tracks to where he's not stinking up the same show every week at least.

Not much different than the "Cup guy in Nationwide" argument, IMO. Doing it once in awhile is OK but doing it all the time gets old. In Tony's case with the Sprint cars though, he's probably spreading his activity across enough different tracks to where he's not stinking up the same show every week at least.

From what I read about it he doesnt always win. I wish he would race at our local dirt track, I would love to see how he stacks up to the locals

Any know if Danica has said anything on this? I have tried everywhere and can't find her opinion on this. I am glad Harv has come out to support the boss

I am one of the folks that enjoy the cup drivers in the lower series and hope they continue to do so. Most of the whining seems to be about Kyle Busch running in the lower series but thats to be expected

This is a copy and paste from another forum (Yellow Bullet).

Just thought that this would be of interest here. Its a long read, however provides some perspective from someone who would know more than the 100's of internet and news sprint car experts that appeared this week.

Rat Photos
Charly Cropp, Sales and Marketing Director for Tri Star Engines, and lifelong Menomonie resident began racing dirt karts at Thunder Hill Speedway at 10 years old. He has been involved with local race teams and professional sprint car teams in Florida. Cropp owned and raced a dirt modified andsprint car team based out of Menomonie with his wife Nicole, sons Cole (freshman at Menomonie High) and Caleb (born March 2014), and father, Dick Cropp. While not actively racing sprint cars in 2014, the Cropps are building a multi-car team for 2015 including the addition of a semi-professional driver.

2014-08-12T11:09:00ZYes, Tony Stewart did run over a fellow driver, but understand the entire situationCharly Cropp For The NewsChippewa Herald
August 12, 2014 11:09 am • Charly Cropp For The News
(6) Comments

"I offer my thoughts and prayers to the Kevin Ward Jr. family, the Empire Super Sprints Organization and Tony Stewart. I can’t imagine what is going through Tony’s mind, or the sorrow the Ward family is experiencing. I am horrified by the comments I read on the news articles, and I would like to explain this tragedy from a Sprint car owner and driver’s perspective.
When witnessing a sprint carmoving around the track prior to a race you will notice the front tiresbouncing erratically side to side. The erratic movement is caused by the alignment of the front wheels being nearly parallel to each other (compared to a minimal toe in or toe out on a standard automobile), and the quick ratio of the steering gear to steering wheel movement (allowing a driver to quickly counter steer when traveling sideways around a corner at 100+ miles per hour). Secondly, trying to harness a 700 horsepower engine at idle is nearly as intense as driving at full speed. These engines are violent in their behaviors and extremely explosive to the smallest “twitch” of the throttle. The throttle is controlled by your foot/ankle movements strapped to a lever directly fastened to the engine. Idle to full throttle is about 4” maximum movement. Sprint cars are setup to steer right, but turn left. This may be confusing, but the dynamics of a sprint carcause it to be more stable at higher speeds traveling “sideways” around the race track. The engine is directly linked to the rear tires. There is no clutch, no transmission, resulting in no stopping with the engine running and in gear, also resulting in violent movements again when the throttle is twitched. There is only a brake on the left front tire, and the solid rear axle, causing the car to lurch leftward when applying the brake, and requiring a slight steer to the right when moving slowly to keep the car going straight.
While at racing speeds the sprint car’s suspension is under load, the dynamics of the wind on the wing panels, and the rear stagger (difference in diameter of the rear tires) all react with each other in these amazing machines to enable them to be some of the fastest in the Dirt Motorsports Industry, but all these factors also mean that even for someone as experienced as Tony Stewart, the car is going to jump around at low speeds.

When piloting a sprint carduring a caution flag speeds here is the typical rundown of a driver:
  1. Grab a tear off (plastic covering over your shield removed when covered with dirt/mud)
  2. Open your shield to cool down and wipe your eyes of dirt.
  3. Move your top wing backward on the chassis for more drive on the restart
  4. Stretch your fingers/hands from gripping the wheel so intensely while at race speed
  5. Double check gauges to verify they are within appropriate operating constraints
  6. Find your spot and the car you should be restarting behind
  7. All while harnessing an erratic, explosive, violently idling engine, usually with one hand!
One of the other difficulties with piloting a sprint caris the extremely limited visibility. When comparing to a Nascar Car, a Dirt Modified, or even your daily driver with an 8 feet wide by 3 feet tall windshield or opening to view out of, a sprint caris limited to an opening of approximately 24 inches by 8 inches. To multiply the problem is a wing panel to the right that protrudes below your line of sight blocking all vision on the right side of the car, and a nose wing directly in your line of sight in front. Then when factoring in the safety equipment of a full containment seat (supports on both sides of the seat for your helmet), a HANS device(safety device strapping the helmet back to the seat, not allowing a whiplash effect) the driver's field of vision is even further limited. To better understand the limited visibility I invite you to take a box from a 24 pack of soda. Cut a circle on the side of the box, and open one end. Put your head in the circle and look out the open end of the box. This will simulate the limited visibility of piloting a sprint car.
Now that you understand some of the basics and the difficulties of piloting a sprint car, I want you to revisit the tragic events that played out on Saturday night at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. An angry young driver named Kevin Ward climbed out of his wrecked sprint carand trotted down into oncoming, direct drive, erratic, violent sprint cars, to confront Tony Stewart. Put yourself in Tony’s vantage point, remembering the checklist of items he was going through: tear off, wing location, stretching hands, wiping eyes, etc, all while following the bumper of the car in front of him harnessing the violent engine lurking to take off, looking through the “24 pk box” field of vision. The track is black and not well lit. Stewart is not expecting someone to be in the middle of the track and sees him at the last moment, jabs the brake causing the front of the car to turn left, and twitches the gas to turn the rear of the car to avoid Mr. Ward. (I'm not certain Stewart accelerated. The motor revving in the video seems much closer to the grandstand where the camera was filming and not across the track where the tragedy occurred.)
No one knows what really happened besides Mr. Ward and Mr. Stewart. I’ve watched YouTube. It was dark. Ward was wearing a black uniform. My opinion is that if Stewart sped up, it was a reflex action, or a result of the throttle being strapped to his foot/ankle causing the engine to rev when he traveled over the helmet of Mr. Ward. Stewart’s eyes caught the approach of someone running toward him, and he tried to get away, but Ward was too close. The right-rear tire caught him.
Our human nature results in us needing to assign blame. I have read on social media and news sights comments such as: “Stewart used his car as a weapon.” “Ward should have known who he was dealing with.” “Nascar Driver Tony Stewart Strikes and Kills opponent with sprint carafter argument.” “Stewart is a murderer.” “Stewart to jail,” etc, etc. All of which are completely belligerent and uncalled for.
Trying to place blame only makes the situation worse. A young man is dead, and a veteran racer will live with this pain for the rest of his life. I compare this incident to a tragedy a couple years ago in Western Wisconsin. A man pulled over on the side of the Interstate, exited his car, and jumped in front of a semi. Obviously, the man who jumped in front of the truck is “to blame” for that instance, and the tragedy that took place on the race track on Saturday night is no different. Ward chose to exit his race car, and would still be alive if he had stayed in his vehicle, but that is the only blame we can assign. Trying to figure out exactly who is to blame past that point is indeterminable. It was an accident with two people’s reactions at play, and the outcome was unfortunately deadly for one.
If there is a lesson to be learned, or a positive outcome from this horrible accident, I hope dirt tracks speak of this at their driver’s meetings prior to racing events. I hope nationally broadcasted racing will stop sensationalizing the fact that exiting your race car and throwing your helmet is acceptable. I hope that in the heat of the moment of competition competitors stop and think it is only a race, only a football game, and there will be another week to come back and prove yourself to be better than your competition. Live life to your utmost ability, but remember it is precious and sometimes too short as we were reminded of last Saturday night.
God speed Mr. Ward, and I hope to see Mr. Stewart continue his racing career and support grass roots racing."

Your (sad
icon_sad.gif
for ALL involved)Pal, Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom