William Byron is the best driver in NASCAR

1680624805556.png

Ok I have to admit when I saw this title I thought it was another whiningsmoke rambling

^ Yeah, that was by design lol. I knew a clickbaity title would stir things up. But like I clarified in my first sentence, I really don't believe in "best" driver debates

Damn I'm ready for Chase Elliott to come back

^ Me too. it's weird to watch a race without him out there

I find it more enjoyable watching races that pretty much everyone I used to pull for has retired. Now I just pull for a good race instead of getting frustrated when your driver is having a bad day.

^ Good point.

Jeff Gordon was always my favorite, and even though I always had a bunch of other guys I pulled for, it always seemed to ruin my Sunday afternoon whenever JG had a bad finish. Nowadays I have a handful of guys I consider my "favorites" (the whole Hendrick bunch, specifically) and every race is fun.

Yeah, the title of this thread is out there just a bit, and it's silly to even argue about the "best driver" considering how many variables are involved, but I feel like Willy is destined for tremendous success with Rudy Fugle. And Byron deserves recognition for how well he has been running for quite some time now.

Who's the best so far in '23? Just look at how impressive the 24 team has been this year. I don't see any sign of them slowing down, and there's no doubt in my mind they will be in title contention this year. Two wins already, and could have had a third at Richmond if a JGR driver wouldn't have been such a doofus. New year, same story. It's funny how Hendrick drivers always seem to get taken out by the mistake of a Gibbs driver....but I digress.

All four Hendrick drivers are damn good, running damn well, and any one of them could win the title this year. But I think Byron is the man to beat.
I think all 4 HMS drivers are at pretty much equal level as the best drivers in NASCAR right now. The only problem I have with them is that I think that with the exception of Chase Eliot, they're personalities are so bland.

I think a problem with cup right now is that there are too many drivers who, while good drivers have such bland personalities. Who can get excited about drivers like Ryan Blaney, Chris Buscher, Christopher Bell, Eric Jones, and the Hendricks drivers (except Chase) for example, among others who are good drivers but have bland and boring personalities.

Thankfully, we still have cup drivers who are easy to either love OR hate or at least have interesting personalities, such as Harv, Brad K., Logano, MJTjr, KyBu, Hamlin, Dinger ad a few others. Unfortunately, in the not too distant past, we have lost veterans such as Kurt Busch, Ryan Newman, Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Rusty Wallace, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, MarK Martin among others. We are also about to lose two more vets, Harv and MJTjr at the end of this season.

Many of the newer drivers have just barely starting shaving and while showing good promise as drivers, will just take some years to season, mature and develop strong records in order to hopefully become interesting and exciting drivers. Once these newer drivers in cup or who are about to come up from Xfinity "marinate" in a few more seasons of racing at the higher levels

These fella's skills entertain me. Their personalities or what they are like outside of the car I couldnt care less, if I was into that thing I would watch more of F1 Drive to Survive, I'm more concerned I guess if they are bad ass on the track.

How is chase not bland? He is my favorite driver but he is definitely bland. When I can't fall asleep I put some of his interviews on and pass right out.
I'm fine with bland, and I agree with you about Chase. His picture is in the dictionary if you look up bland.

These fella's skills entertain me. Their personalities or what they are like outside of the car I couldnt care less, if I was into that thing I would watch more of F1 Drive to Survive, I'm more concerned I guess if they are bad ass on the track.
Agree with you also, now that there's little to no coverage after the race who cares how they act outside the car. Only guys that get crashed out give interviews any more.

Agree with you also, now that there's little to no coverage after the race who cares how they act outside the car. Only guys that get crashed out give interviews any more.
I disagree. This logic is also why baseball is so uninteresting to sports fans.

Super stardom and star athletes are part of what market the sport. Look at the NBA, the basketball product is as bad as it's ever been. Ever.. And it's full of personalities and divas that bring so much attention to the sport.

As far as our entertainment goes? Yeah I agree, it's not that important. But for NASCAR as an entertainment product, needs to have superstars.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Super stardom and star athletes are part of what market the sport. Look at the NBA, the basketball product is as bad as it's ever been. Ever.. And it's full of personalities and divas that bring so much attention to the sport.

As far as our entertainment goes? Yeah I agree, it's not that important. But for NASCAR as an entertainment product, needs to have superstars.

You think maybe Nascar is trying too hard to make a superstar instead of letting talent speak for itself. Nascar has lost its identity.Stop trying to be a ball sport and embrace your true fans. I'll always love it but it's a far cry from the late 80s to 2000.

You think maybe Nascar is trying too hard to make a superstar instead of letting talent speak for itself. Nascar has lost its identity.Stop trying to be a ball sport and embrace your true fans. I'll always love it but it's a far cry from the late 80s to 2000.

NASCAR's caught between a proverbial rock and hard place.

Chase Elliott is the present. He's got the overwhelming majority of fans, but he doesn't bring new fans to the table.

The best thing that could possibly happen for NASCAR is for Hailie Deegan to make it to Cup and be a frontrunner. Which EVERYBODY is invested heavily in making happen.

Super stardom and star athletes are part of what market the sport.
Yeah, but what sets this sport apart is the cars. It is categorically stupid IMO to try to market drivers as athletes against guys that run 4 second 40's. What makes this sport special is how these drivers--quit calling them athletes....let's let that go--wheel these cars. I need Tim Brewer back in my life.

Byron dominated the Truck Series in his debut season and only missed out on the championship because the playoffs suck. A year later he won the Xfinity championship in his debut year.
I don't think anyone ever denied that the guy has talent, it took him a couple of years to become a regular contender in Cup but he's definitely one of the top drivers right now.
I could see him making the final four if HMS doesn't get ten more penalties over the course of the regular season.

Didn't like his Dad, but at least Dad had a personality. That's gonna fire a few up.

Their personalities are different, but on a quantity scale I'd say there is very little difference. Bill is more talkative now then he EVER was when he was racing. I REALLY wish Chase wasn't the MPD. Frankly, I get tired of hearing about it, and I think it is more of a distraction than an asset, and a lightning rod for every misplaced criticism, just as I think it was for Dale Jr. Doesn't hurt the bank account though.....

Their personalities are different, but on a quantity scale I'd say there is very little difference. Bill is more talkative now then he EVER was when he was racing. I REALLY wish Chase wasn't the MPD. Frankly, I get tired of hearing about it, and I think it is more of a distraction than an asset, and a lightning rod for every misplaced criticism, just as I think it was for Dale Jr. Doesn't hurt the bank account though.....

Dale Jr had a personality though. He was likable and had enough starpower to become a household name.

Chase Elliott lacks that kind of charisma.

Dale Jr had a personality though. He was likable and had enough starpower to become a household name.

Chase Elliott lacks that kind of charisma.

Different eras though. I don't think Jesus would be a household name if he raced in the post 2010 NASCAR. I will also say that I like the retired Dale Jr. personality WAY more than when he was driving. I feel like it took the man forty years to become comfortable in his own skin. I think the popularity is kind of confining for Chase. It's good for business, but deep down I think he'd rather not have any part of it.

If I want to be told jokes or entertained I'll go watch a stand up routine or flip on some Netflix. The boy drives race cars and drives them at an elite level, that's good enough for me.

I've said it and will continue to say it, Chase Elliott has checked every other box to where the only negative anyone has to say about him now is that he's boring. Talk about grasping at straws. If he ever opens up I guess he'll be perfect to everyone.

I don't know if I would say Larson is the best HMS driver, but he is certainly the most talented.

I will also say that I like the retired Dale Jr. personality WAY more than when he was driving. I feel like it took the man forty years to become comfortable in his own skin.
This.

Every year Byron comes out and gets a win or two right away and it’s “his year” and then he disappears. It’s early still but today’s showing from them wasn’t encouraging.

Sad, but true. My guy isn't going to win a championship by driving like a champ for the first quarter of the season, then a B+ driver from there on out.

This thread; like milk.

You must not have got past the title, which was more of a tongue in cheek statement. Honestly, nobody is the "best" until they knock off the defending champ Logano.

I've got love for Byron and Bowman, but I think everyone realizes Larson and Elliott are the most talented guys at HMS, and arguably in the entire sport. But I think any of the four HMS teams are capable of winning a title, especially in this crapshoot playoff. Just gotta get hot at the right time and have a little luck on your side. It's still early, and I'm fairly certain Byron and the 24 bunch will rebound.

Every year Byron comes out and gets a win or two right away and it’s “his year” and then he disappears. It’s early still but today’s showing from them wasn’t encouraging.
It's why people calling him the favorite made me laugh.

Byron isn't quite that guy yet. Not yet.

It's why people calling him the favorite made me laugh.

"People"? You mean just me? :XXROFL:

It's mostly just wishful thinking on my part. The main point of this thread was to celebrate how great Byron and the 24 team can be when they are hitting their marks. But to be truly considered the favorite, you need to show consistency.

He was fast in practice and has his two wins and Martinsville is one of the most important playoff races, he was just trying a few things for the fall rather than trying to win.

"People"? You mean just me? :XXROFL:

It's mostly just wishful thinking on my part. The main point of this thread was to celebrate how great Byron and the 24 team can be when they are hitting their marks. But to be truly considered the favorite, you need to show consistency.
No, there were other all over the net, and even Fox!

He was fast in practice and has his two wins and Martinsville is one of the most important playoff races, he was just trying a few things for the fall rather than trying to win.
This is silly. William didn't just run some 500 laps of practice and say "car is good enough, but I'm gonna ride around in p20 seeing if I can make it drive better so I'm ready for the fall"

Teams and drivers try to win EVERY race. Now, maybe you experiment with setups and adjustments, but Byron and Rudy tried to win today with what they had and they failed.

This would be my favorite throwback of the year. Loved this scheme as a kid

William Byron isn't the best driver on his own team. Infact, he's not the second best either. That's not a knock against him, it's just that Hendrick has a stacked line-up. If I had to rank Byron, he'd be in the 6-7 range. Larson, Elliott, Logano, Harvick, Kyle Busch & Bell are all ahead of him.

William Byron isn't the best driver on his own team. Infact, he's not the second best either. That's not a knock against him, it's just that Hendrick has a stacked line-up. If I had to rank Byron, he'd be in the 6-7 range. Larson, Elliott, Logano, Harvick, Kyle Busch & Bell are all ahead of him.
Byron is 6th in the playoff standings and that includes the 50 point penalty. Add those 50 points back in that he lost and he would be second in points behind Bell.

Back
Top Bottom