2017-18 Fall/Winter Weather Thread

th

11° with a wind chill of -1°. Going to warm up to 13-14° later today. Wife has a doc apt and is warming up her car. If me I think I might consider canceling.:)

Local news just showed pics of the Midwest and the northeast. Hell. No.
Actually got up to 85 today but a cooling trend is expected next week. Might even get a tiny bit of rain.

Local news just showed pics of the Midwest and the northeast. Hell. No.
Actually got up to 85 today but a cooling trend is expected next week. Might even get a tiny bit of rain.
It's 1 right now, looked at long range forecast, not getting up over 20 for at least 10 days! Great for ice fishing and snowmobiling, but wind chills are pretty bad, some ski areas closed here in the Northeast due to -50 degree windchill.

It's 1 right now, looked at long range forecast, not getting up over 20 for at least 10 days! Great for ice fishing and snowmobiling, but wind chills are pretty bad, some ski areas closed here in the Northeast due to -50 degree windchill.
That’s nuts.

Friend in Mass has his son and family up from the south, deep South Carolina. Kids have never seen snow, ages 3 & 5, and his wife and kids have never experienced single digit temps and wind chills of -0
His wife isn't very happy..
Sent him this, thanks!
c5fbd4c0-b164-42c8-a4eb-2d2c69c109f9-gif.31409

15 degrees currently, suppose to get down to 0 tomorrow. It sounds shocking to me, but apparently Wichita has only had the temperature get down below zero degrees only four times in the last ten years. I really don't mind the cold, but I absolutely hate the electric bills. This month will be by far my highest electric bill ever. Ugh!

Thankfully, it looks like 2018 will start off much warmer than 2017 is ending.

15 degrees currently, suppose to get down to 0 tomorrow. It sounds shocking to me, but apparently Wichita has only had the temperature get down below zero degrees only four times in the last ten years. I really don't mind the cold, but I absolutely hate the electric bills. This month will be by far my highest electric bill ever. Ugh!

Thankfully, it looks like 2018 will start off much warmer than 2017 is ending.
2018 is gonna' be colder here........ and....... I hear you about the electric bills....... but.... I heat with gas..... so....... no better........

I've always found weather interesting. While visiting New Hampshire, I learned about Mount Washington. We had hoped to drive to the peak, but was stopped by the gate guard and told the road was closed because of 100 mph winds at the peak. The weather there is nothing short of amazing. It's not uncommon for them to have 80 mph sustained winds. That's EF1 tornado strength winds. Incredible! Their high for tomorrow is -17 with a low of -22. Winds will between 50 and 70 mph. Kind of a pointless post really,b but I just felt like posting it anyway.

News said it was -89° the other day. Now I think they messed up and didn't say if that was the wind chill or actual temperature.
Drove it in my '55 Pontiac convertible. Brakes back then weren't like they are today. I know I stopped (barely) once to let the brakes cool and get a pedal again.

Did a winter survival course in college, spent 3 days camping out and learning how to survive in harsh conditions at Tuckermans Ravine. 80-90 mph winds , put your ice spike in the glacier and hold on, complete horizontal. Awesome experience and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Did a winter survival course in college, spent 3 days camping out and learning how to survive in harsh conditions at Tuckermans Ravine. 80-90 mph winds , put your ice spike in the glacier and hold on, complete horizontal. Awesome experience and I'd do it again in a heart beat.
Winter survival course here consists of a sweater and a disposable umbrella :biggrin:

Ain't for me....... and.... I'm not sure..... but...... if you are a little long in the tooth as I am....... I think you might want to reconsider..... I done a WHOLE lot of things in my younger years that is out of the question now.

Ain't for me....... and.... I'm not sure..... but...... if you are a little long in the tooth as I am....... I think you might want to reconsider..... I done a WHOLE lot of things in my younger years that is out of the question now.
I'd love to do it, just have to be prepared.

Great night for the fireworks balmy -13 f.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

At 6 am It's 22 degrees here with 30 mph winds. :mad:

Currently it's 3° with a wind chill of -8°. A high of 13° is forecast with 10-15 mph winds so no idea of what the wind chill will be at noon when the plunge is scheduled, if it's still on for today.
Some places have called off the plunge due to the extreme cold and the danger it carry's.
But James, one of my sons friends, is still planning to do the plunge at noon. I often wondered if that boy was right inna head.
3347103989.gif

My son will be driving him and will put the generator in the truck and taking along a electric blanket. Fire it up and get it nice and toasty when, if, he takes the plunge.Rest of their friends will be along for moral support.

Sitting @ 10 degrees out there now. Got down to -8 last night. About 12 days away from finishing our first ton of pellets this season. Going to buy another next week.

We had 17 bags left over from last year. Bought two tons for this year which should carry us through, I hope. This unusually cold weather might put a crimp in my plan..
We keep the stove going 24/7 with the thermostat set at 70° Nice days it kicks off, gets cold it starts. When the temp gets down to around 25-20° the furnace kicks in. I hate that! :( and the nat gas bill that'll follow.

I spent 15 minutes outside at 2AM. It was 20 degrees with a realfeel of 4.

It was 14 minutes and 45 seconds longer than I would have liked to be outside.

Warmer than this in the backyard
a8e009b223f844fbc6d25948c5c3868d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Supposed to go and watch Kyle Larson at Western Springs my local dirt track tomoro night but am worried about rain.

Back
Top Bottom