As of Nov17 Patrick meets with CGR

Any top team can provide her with a car and she can drive it under another team. ...

I don't understand why some people think she has to get a ride with a S&P team. ....
I'm not saying she has to get a ride from a bottom team; I'm asking what else is available.

If she has a top team provide a car to ANOTHER TEAM, how is that not getting a ride with a bottom tier team? If she lands with a top tier team, it wouldn't need to get a car from another front-running team; they'd already have one of their own. Only a non-competitive team would need to get a competitive car from somewhere else.

OK, so if not Phil Parsons I will go with Tommy Baldwin. She might be on the Dave BLaney plan. In reality Tommy knows how to put together a good plate car, they have the charter and need the money. I think the article nailed it.

I'm not saying she has to get a ride from a bottom team; I'm asking what else is available.

If she has a top team provide a car to ANOTHER TEAM, how is that not getting a ride with a bottom tier team? If she lands with a top tier team, it wouldn't need to get a car from another front-running team; they'd already have one of their own. Only a non-competitive team would need to get a competitive car from somewhere else.
And why can't she run under her own name with her own team? Buy or rent, no different than the #77 last year.

The only similarity between the #77 last year and what Danica will put together is that they're NASCAR Cup-level cars.

The #77 was a car from team that ran top 10 in '16, configured to run the entire season, and was a JGR satellite to boot. Where's she going to put together 'her own team' with those kind of resources to draw from?

I agree she'll have no problem qualifying.

I don't think RCR is out of the picture. It all depends on how much money she and GoDaddy want to spend. RCR has said they would not field a team for her. Money may change their mind. Either RCR or Tommy Baldwin. Who knows?

I don't think RCR is out of the picture. It all depends on how much money she and GoDaddy want to spend. RCR has said they would not field a team for her. Money may change their mind. Either RCR or Tommy Baldwin. Who knows?
it doesn't look too promising as of last night anyway

Danica Patrick in 2 big races that could create more media and fans is good for the sport.

She hasn’t created media interest or gathered up some fans?

Come now ...

NASCARs numbers have been in a steady free fall for the past few years. So why is this one event going to be such a massive game changer. The entire planet is going to tune in to watch an "also ran"? Time will tell.

You didn’t answer the question I asked.

People are talking, no doubt. They're talking about nothing significant. Proves B.T. Barnum was right. Nothing special planned for Matt Kenseth, former champion and multiple race winner. Yet, people will get all worked up and excited over a back marker? Yeah....right

You stated that she hadn’t created media interest or earned any fans during her 5 years in the sport. That’s why I asked the question you still haven’t answered.

If Matt Kenseth was doing a one-off to close things out, I imagine people would be interested in that. Human interest stories are part of every sport. You seem peeved by Patrick’s. If you disconnect your center speaker, you’ll kill the announcers.

People are talking, no doubt. They're talking about nothing significant. Proves B.T. Barnum was right. Nothing special planned for Matt Kenseth, former champion and multiple race winner. Yet, people will get all worked up and excited over a back marker? Yeah....right
There are some of us that thought from the very start years ago this was way more P.T. Barnum than anything else. One more time is all I'm sayin.

You stated that she hadn’t created media interest or earned any fans during her 5 years in the sport. That’s why I asked the question you still haven’t answered.

If Matt Kenseth was doing a one-off to close things out, I imagine people would be interested in that. Human interest stories are part of every sport. You seem peeved by Patrick’s. If you disconnect your center speaker, you’ll kill the announcers.

I answered your question, yes, people are talking about this "event". And, I'm not remotely "peeved" about it. Maybe somewhat amused that people get so attached to nothing. And again I ask a question I've ask before. Where are all these new "fans"? Perhaps you can answer that for me.

I answered your question, yes, people are talking about this "event".
That’s not what I asked.

I’ll stop *****-footing around. Perhaps you could read your ridiculous, false, biased declarative statement and my question about that statement again.

Now now now, why so hostile? Didn't mean to trigger you. Read slowly. YES, People are talking, mainly people that usually follow racing. So. Yes it's generating media interest, again race media. So, no new massive "wave" of fans tuning in to watch this major "event". Again, I ask you, Where are all these new fans? Are they hiding in the shadows? Some people will buy into promotions, hype and spin. I'm not one of those. Sorry to disappoint.

Danica Patrick in 2 big races that could create more media and fans is good for the sport.
Now now now, why so hostile? Didn't mean to trigger you. Read slowly. YES, People are talking, mainly people that usually follow racing. So. Yes it's generating media interest, again race media. So, no new massive "wave" of fans tuning in to watch this major "event". Again, I ask you, Where are all these new fans? Are they hiding in the shadows? Some people will buy into promotions, hype and spin. I'm not one of those. Sorry to disappoint.
AtomicPunk55's original post didn't say anything about "wave" or "event", and aunty certainly didn't, so I'm not sure who you're quoting.

AP55 said it "...could [not will] create more media [you agree it's done that] and fans [that a minimum of two; too soon to tell]..." His statement did nothing to indicate this would save NASCAR, only that it would be "good for the sport".

I think you're finding meanings that weren't intended.

EDIT: You were the first one to use the expression "massive game changer", back in your post #171. Nobody else has said this will be anything other than a one-shot swan song.

Last edited:
I took issue with what you posted. That’s what we do here. I am neither hostile nor triggered.

Again ... you’re avoiding my question.

hasn't created any in five years of full time driving in NASCAR. So what's so special about her now?

She hasn’t created media interest or gathered up some fans?

Come now ...

AtomicPunk55's original post didn't say anything about "wave" or "event", and aunty certainly didn't, so I'm not sure who you're quoting.

AP55 said it "...could [not will] create more media [you agree it's done that] and fans [that a minimum of two; too soon to tell]..." His statement did nothing to indicate this would save NASCAR, only that it would be "good for the sport".

Thank you.

Your comprehension skills are to be admired, Charles.

NASCARs numbers have been in a steady free fall for the past few years. So why is this one event going to be such a massive game changer. The entire planet is going to tune in to watch an "also ran"? Time will tell.
Just think how far Nascar would have fallen had there been no Danica. I think she has a very good fan base and a lot of children and women are in that number.

AP55 said it "...could (not will) create more media (you agree it's done that) and fans (that a minimum of two; too soon to tell)..." His statement did nothing to indicate this would save the sport, only that it would be "good for the sport".

I translate "good" as interest in the sport. Interest is measured by number of fans watching or attending races. There are no facts anywhere to indicate NASCAR has a growing fan base. It's going in the other direction. So, I don't see this one gimmick translating into any new fans. Just like the "stage racing" gimmick hasn't brought in new fans, nor has the "Chase". So, YES, people are talking about it. Not a lot going on in the off season.

But the stage racing was good for the sport. We don't know how many people stayed interested because of it. I for one was very tired watching Nascar for the simple reason you knew no one was racing until near the end. Last year we saw a team take it seriously and had a big lead in points. Took awhile but KB soon realized he better start going for those points and others followed.
I think 2018 will have near everyone going for those points and it will get more exciting.

But the stage racing was good for the sport. We don't know how many people stayed interested because of it. I for one was very tired watching Nascar for the simple reason you knew no one was racing until near the end. Last year we saw a team take it seriously and had a big lead in points. Took awhile but KB soon realized he better start going for those points and others followed.
I think 2018 will have near everyone going for those points and it will get more exciting.

I hope you're right

I translate "good" as interest in the sport. Interest is measured by number of fans watching or attending races. There are no facts anywhere to indicate NASCAR has a growing fan base. It's going in the other direction. So, I don't see this one gimmick translating into any new fans. Just like the "stage racing" gimmick hasn't brought in new fans, nor has the "Chase". So, YES, people are talking about it. Not a lot going on in the off season.
There's a big difference between the Chase and stage racing vs. Danica running the D500.

As you correctly note, the Chase and stage racing are attempts by NASCAR to increase the fan base, or at least reduce the rate of hemorrhaging. We could debate their effectiveness.

On the other hand, Danica's attempt to make the 500 is not being organized by NASCAR. This is a departing driver trying to make one last race; I don't see what's gimmicky about that. The motivations are strictly her own, and she hasn't said attracting new fans is one of them. If your position is that she's doing it to help the sport, please provide supporting links.

Even if she doesn't have the unintended effect of helping, at worst her efforts are harmless.

She stated she wanted to leave her own way and a season long farewell has been done to many times and a lot of fans are not interested anymore. Tony's farewell was pathetic only to see Junior's be much worse.

There's a big difference between the Chase and stage racing vs. Danica running the D500.

As you correctly note, the Chase and stage racing are attempts by NASCAR to increase the fan base, or at least reduce the rate of hemorrhaging. We could debate their effectiveness.

On the other hand, Danica's attempt to make the 500 is not being organized by NASCAR. This is a departing driver trying to make one last race; I don't see what's gimmicky about that. The motivations are strictly her own, and she hasn't said attracting new fans is one of them. If your position is that she's doing it to help the sport, please provide supporting links.

Even if she doesn't have the unintended effect of helping, at worst her efforts are harmless.

Never said she was trying to help the sport. Another poster said it would be good for the sport. I simply pointed out there has never been any evidence that she's brought new fans to the sport, and I have no reason to believe this one last start will bring any new ones to the sport.

I simply pointed out there has never been any evidence that she's brought new fans to the sport ..

7d880aae96ab3920dd149a557aa63782.jpg

819edede28eebe1678aa387285d19889--the-race-signs.jpg

8773eeed04235582ae5e09546faee647--young-fans.jpg

5a606963dbd0b.image.jpg

513db04818decf61f3fb735c2c4eebfb--patrick-obrian-danica-patrick.jpg

A few pics? You have factual evidence? Sell out crowds? Increased TV ratings? They're not there. I don't have personal animus towards her, I just don't care for false narratives.

I am pretty sure she already has fans here, lets be honest, she has not missed one Cup race yet, so I would wager her fans/supporters havent gone very far, and of course the media is going to be all over her last 500. I dont mean this in a bashing Danica way, but it's hard to say if her last 500 is going to bring more fans than she already has.

I cant comment on the Indy 500 deal , I dont follow open racing, but I am imagine that if she does get a ride , there is going to be a uptick in viewers from her supporters so of course that will good for that series.

A few pics? You have factual evidence? Sell out crowds? Increased TV ratings? They're not there. I don't have personal animus towards her, I just don't care for false narratives.
Seventh in souvenir sales in 2016. If the people buying her gear aren't fans, please explain how she's outselling drivers with better records (including former champions).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...sales-fanatics-trackside-superstore/87578428/
http://autoweek.com/article/nascar-...ivers-merchandise-sold-youll-never-guess-no-4

(And before somebody says, "Well, those people are her fans, not NASCAR fans", the same could be said of all those people who get up and leave or change channels when Jeff Gordon or Dale Sr. had accidents.)

I don't see any other driver causing sell-out the stands or increased TV ratings. Why do you place that responsibility on her shoulders? If Dale Jr. was going to run at Daytona, would that also be a gimmick? He wouldn't draw any more fans than he's attracted in the past. Chase Elliott is going to run the entire season, but you're not complaining about him not putting butts in the seats. What's Kyle Busch doing to increase TV viewers?

All the original poster said was that her participation would be good for the sport, not that it would save the world. She'd drawn fans and she's getting media attention; those are the only things he said would come of this. For whatever reason, you're over exaggerating his statements to an extreme..

Last edited:
Dale Earnhardt Sr couldn't bring back the fans. Like Danica all anyone can do is slow the exodus.

Seventh in souvenir sales in 2016. If the people buying her gear aren't fans, please explain how she's outselling drivers with better records (including former champions).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...sales-fanatics-trackside-superstore/87578428/
http://autoweek.com/article/nascar-...ivers-merchandise-sold-youll-never-guess-no-4

(And before somebody says, "Well, those people are her fans, not NASCAR fans", the same could be said of all those people who get up and leave or change channels when Jeff Gordon or Dale Sr. had accidents.)

I don't see any other driver causing sell-out the stands or increased TV ratings. Why do you place that responsibility on her shoulders? If Dale Jr. was going to run at Daytona, would that also be a gimmick? He wouldn't draw any more fans than he's attracted in the past. Chase Elliott is going to run the entire season, but you're not complaining about him not putting butts in the seats. What's Kyle Busch doing to increase TV viewers?

All the original poster said was that her participation would be good for the sport, not that it would save the world. She'd drawn fans and she's getting media attention; those are the only things he said would come of this. For whatever reason, you're over exaggerating his statements to an extreme..

Nothing remotely "extreme" on my part. It's never been said of the other drivers that you've mentioned that they would bring or have brought millions of new fans to the sport. It has been said and repeated of her. I'll ask you, as I have ask others, please provide factual evidence of that. And I haven't placed any responsibility on her shoulders for anything. Kyle Petty suffered the scorn of the Koolaid drinkers for pointing out the same things a couple years ago. So did Richard Petty. As Kyle said, "she can go fast in a race car, she's not a racer". Big difference. She's a lot more about marketing. Who knows? Maybe she'll win the 500, no sweat off my nose either way.

I am pretty sure she already has fans here, lets be honest, she has not missed one Cup race yet, so I would wager her fans/supporters havent gone very far, and of course the media is going to be all over her last 500. I dont mean this in a bashing Danica way, but it's hard to say if her last 500 is going to bring more fans than she already has.

I cant comment on the Indy 500 deal , I dont follow open racing, but I am imagine that if she does get a ride , there is going to be a uptick in viewers from her supporters so of course that will good for that series.

Having Danica Patrick race in 2 big events could draw some extra eyeballs and having GoDaddy back could entice them to get involved in the sport again given the lower costs involved these days. Any bit of publicity is good but I never meant that Danica Patrick was going to take Nascar or open wheel to a new level.

So, has an team announced that they are going to put together a ride for her? What is the cut off date for doing that?

Back
Top Bottom