NASCAR’s personality problem

It's always been strange to me that the Craftsman Truck Series isn't more popular than it is, especially with America's Big Truck Culture.
I've wondered why NASCAR and the manufacturers haven't replaced sedans with trucks in the Cup series. Why not have your top-selling, most profitable vehicles in the flagship series, instead of selling niche products?

(Doing so would coincidentally open the current Truck series to replacement with electrics.)

I call bull**** here.

You're operating under the assumption that NASCAR is a meritocracy. It's not.

Some of these kids in the Truck and Xfinity Series were mid-tier Late Model drivers.

Some racers have hundreds of first-place trophies in their house and garage and have never even sat in the ****pit of a Truck Series or Xfinity car. Some people have never won a race in their life and landed mid-tier or even top-tier Xfinity rides.
It isn't a true meritocracy, but the TRD supported drivers in USAC need to excel or their career is going nowhere. If they had the money for a late model ride, they'd already be there.

I mean, again, it already exists. Look at a list of how many schools participate in Formula SAE: if you are a R1/R2 university with an engineering school, you have a Formula SAE program already which competes in regional and national meets.
Sounds like something else I should Google. I've never heard of it, or R1/R2 schools.

Sounds like something else I should Google. I've never heard of it, or R1/R2 schools.
R1/R2 is how universities are delineated based on the level of research funding they bring in from external sources. I don't recall the exact threshold, but basically if you've heard of them, there's a good chance they're an R1. If you think you heard of the school but you're not entirely sure, then they might be an R2. Then there's a pile of liberal arts or religious schools that exist which aren't R1 or R2 because they're dependent entirely on tuition revenue. So like using NC as a guide:

UNC: R1 school
East Carolina University: R2 school
Elon University: R3 school

I've wondered why NASCAR and the manufacturers haven't replaced sedans with trucks in the Cup series. Why not have your top-selling, most profitable vehicles in the flagship series, instead of selling niche products?

(Doing so would coincidentally open the current Truck series to replacement with electrics.)

In that case, wouldn't the current Truck Series become more akin to the Xfinity Series - a lower tier version of the upper series, which in theory prepares drivers for the upper tier series? The current Xfinity Series would slot into the C-tier as a specialty sedan series.

In that case, wouldn't the current Truck Series become more akin to the Xfinity Series - a lower tier version of the upper series, which in theory prepares drivers for the upper tier series? The current Xfinity Series would slot into the C-tier as a specialty sedan series.
Sure. Either way, the question remain: why do the manufacturers still run sedans in Cup, instead of their popular moneymakers? If @Revman is right and the vehicles are a big draw, why not go with what people have / want in the driveway? Switching would certainly take a lot of aero out of the equation.

Legitimate question: If someone were to ask you why NASCAR runs the Cup and Xfinity series and what the difference is between them (not just the wheelbase/engine rules, like "WHAT IS GRAND NATIONAL RACING AND WHAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT FROM CUP RACING?") what would you say?

Nobody knows this exists except me, I feel like. As you can probably tell given where Sands is located and the fact that it has the wildest layout of a 1/4 "oval" you've ever seen, this is not a track that is getting 5000 person crowds, yet here it is, a series of modern cars on an oval racing hard but not with I-4s and FWD. I have thought about doing a presentation on it for MARFC at some sort of function just because I find it so fascinating and am completely confused as to how it hasn't spread all over America while Panther-body racing is now at every other track.

It's going to be a hard sell, and you almost have to sell it exclusively to a younger crowd.

But, it CAN be done. The tracks just have to tune out the noise, and they've REALLY got to think local.

Legitimate question: If someone were to ask you why NASCAR runs the Cup and Xfinity series and what the difference is between them (not just the wheelbase/engine rules, like "WHAT IS GRAND NATIONAL RACING AND WHAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT FROM CUP RACING?") what would you say?
Driver experience.
Length of races.
Cost of tickets.
Length of schedule.
Field size and charters.
Payout.

I never take a potential new fan to a Cup race, especially not kids. X is cheaper, they get to see more wrecks and restarts, they don't have time to get bored with nuances they don't yet understand, they get to see Cup P and Q and maybe learn from them, and if they want to leave early, I'm not out much.

It isn't a true meritocracy, but the TRD supported drivers in USAC need to excel or their career is going nowhere. If they had the money for a late model ride, they'd already be there.

TRD has a very good development program.

On the pavement side, there are very few Josh Berry stories. That's why Josh Berry is already a fan favorite.

Driver experience.
Length of races.
Cost of tickets.
Length of schedule.
Field size and charters.
Payout.
In this description, Grand National racing is just minor league Cup. And that's what it is presented as, so it has been sliding towards being "minor league sport" in ratings and attendance for awhile. My take here is that it could be "A Different Thing" sort of like how college football, the CFL or the XFL/USFL are not simply presented as "NFL but not as good" but "A different thing." It and Trucks both have this issue. They need their own signature events and maybe some signature payouts that go with it. They need to be destinations onto themselves again like they both once were and not merely a place to go on your way up or perhaps to stay around when you fail at the Cup level.

TRD has a very good development program.

On the pavement side, there are very few Josh Berry stories. That's why Josh Berry is already a fan favorite.
They do, and they use USAC as part of it largely to parse out who they want to support in more expensive ventures. That happens through success in that series, and man, midget racing gets ugly as a result. Again, you don't see that same ugliness with USAC's other divisions nor do you see it with the 500 Sprint Car Tour nor any winged sprint car series or track title.

It's going to be a hard sell, and you almost have to sell it exclusively to a younger crowd.

But, it CAN be done. The tracks just have to tune out the noise, and they've REALLY got to think local.
Local tracks lost local newspaper coverage and still haven't really figured out how to replace it other than post results on Facebook. You're absolutely right about this and I've been screaming about it for an eternity. The problem are that many promoters and track owners are old and looking to retire off to Florida and sell their facilities. They're not looking to learn how to do things a new way.

In this description, Grand National racing is just minor league Cup. And that's what it is presented as, so it has been sliding towards being "minor league sport" in ratings and attendance for awhile.
It IS minor league, although I wouldn't say 'Just'. It's always had minor league ratings and attendance. At my first Busch race, Rockingham literally gave the tickets away. For a couple of years after that, I got tickets free with an oil change at GM Goodwrench shops. You might as well try to make Triple-A baseball something it's not.
My take here is that it could be "A Different Thing" sort of like how college football, the CFL or the XFL/USFL are not simply presented as "NFL but not as good" but "A different thing."
I don't know about CFL or USFL, but college football and basketball are minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. That's why the top players move up after less than four years. Convince me otherwise.
It and Trucks both have this issue. They need their own signature events and maybe some signature payouts that go with it. They need to be destinations onto themselves again like they both once were and not merely a place to go on your way up or perhaps to stay around when you fail at the Cup level.
X has that four-race series in the summer with big payouts. I don't care much about the money but I like that Cup drivers can't participate.

One stumbling block to the two lower series returning to non-Cup tracks is the networks want as much as possible at the same location. It cuts coverage costs.

Indy is still suffering from it's civil war. The racing for the last three or four years has been outstanding. If current audiences really do have shorter attention spans, Indy races are right up their alley.
This. I've thought the last few years IndyCar is a sleeping giant and is just begging for the right eyeballs to find it. The lack of a schedule with imagination, lack of marketing ( at least I've seen here where I live), a bad ass video game, and driver marketing are what is holding it back. I'm entertained every damn time I tune into a race, its my favorite racing currently. I think if other's discover it, they will feel the same way.... the racing is SO good. Not to take away from NASCAR though, NASCAR Is NASCAR, I dont think all is as bad as its made out here to be with the sport.

Local tracks lost local newspaper coverage and still haven't really figured out how to replace it other than post results on Facebook.

It's harder than ever despite all the tools that are out there.

All my stuff goes in the newspaper, but how many people even read the paper anymore? You can advertise on FM radio but how many people listen to it? I get a lot of television coverage from the local ABC and NBC stations, but their sports departments are cutting back.

Facebook is king, and you have to do more than just post results on there or one promo a week. But even it can be hard to break through. Next year's going to be an election year, and there will be entire days where you can't get anything in front of eyeballs because Facebook is going to be, ESPECIALLY with your target audience, all Trump.

And tying this in with my points about local media, many people in your target audience might not even watch the local news or read the newspaper anymore because, unless those outlets reaffirm their beliefs and tell them what they want to hear, it's all "fAkE nEwS."

Twitter was once a great avenue but Elon Musk's mid-life crisis has completely napalmed that platform. If you don't pay for the blue checkmark, your **** won't get seen unless you already have 150,000 followers. His own policies discourage businesses from using it as a platform for getting word out. And he's made it clear he thinks "X" should be nothing more than a place where people argue about culture wars.

Instagram, you might as well tie it to Facebook and crosspost.

TikTok is a great platform, that's where the kids are, but for a racetrack to use it, I'm not sure how it translates to people in seats.

It IS minor league, although I wouldn't say 'Just'. It's always had minor league ratings and attendance. At my first Busch race, Rockingham literally gave the tickets away. For a couple of years after that, I got tickets free with an oil change at GM Goodwrench shops. You might as well try to make Triple-A baseball something it's not.
Back in the day, they had more dates where they were a headliner and brought big NASCAR names to markets that Cup didn't run. Truthfully, that position is now occupied by touring late model series now. Xfinity is just there to fill out the calendar for the race weekend. Same with trucks.

I don't know about CFL or USFL, but college football and basketball are minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. That's why the top players move up after less than four years. Convince me otherwise.
They are minor leagues in practical terms, but they're also "their own thing" that has it's own dedicated fanbase that invests a lot of money and time into those sports. Grand National can still be that, but it needs its own identity first. Weirdly, I'd say that Trans Am is closer to having re-established its own identity in spite of lacking the TV money that NASCAR provides the trucks and Xfinity. Long term, I think that'll pay off for them.

X has that four-race series in the summer with big payouts. I don't care much about the money but I like that Cup drivers can't participate.

One stumbling block to the two lower series returning to non-Cup tracks is the networks want as much as possible at the same location. It cuts coverage costs.
Xfinity now has a separate partner for telecasts from the rest of the series. Unfortunately the actual production is still NASCAR's and they're gonna cut costs as much as possible too as well as run events on their own personally owned circuits.

I just watched the video and a lot of the comments are spot on. We used to have bright, beautiful paint schemes and now most are dark or monochrome. Drivers used to have an attitude. A few do today, but many are racing for a living. And there aren't many rivalries. Having Hamlin and Larson get into it with Chastain was something worth watching. But there isn't enough of that. Most of these drivers are buddies off the track. The sport needs some juice.

It's harder than ever despite all the tools that are out there.

All my stuff goes in the newspaper, but how many people even read the paper anymore? You can advertise on FM radio but how many people listen to it? I get a lot of television coverage from the local ABC and NBC stations, but their sports departments are cutting back.

Facebook is king, and you have to do more than just post results on there or one promo a week. But even it can be hard to break through. Next year's going to be an election year, and there will be entire days where you can't get anything in front of eyeballs because Facebook is going to be, ESPECIALLY with your target audience, all Trump.

And tying this in with my points about local media, many people in your target audience might not even watch the local news or read the newspaper anymore because, unless those outlets reaffirm their beliefs and tell them what they want to hear, it's all "fAkE nEwS."

Twitter was once a great avenue but Elon Musk's mid-life crisis has completely napalmed that platform. If you don't pay for the blue checkmark, your **** won't get seen unless you already have 150,000 followers. His own policies discourage businesses from using it as a platform for getting word out. And he's made it clear he thinks "X" should be nothing more than a place where people argue about culture wars.

Instagram, you might as well tie it to Facebook and crosspost.

TikTok is a great platform, that's where the kids are, but for a racetrack to use it, I'm not sure how it translates to people in seats.
There needs to be collective action to create and maintain outlets and instead a lot of facilities are still acting as though FloSports or Racing America are keeping paying customers from paying the gate admission rather than see them as what they are (a conduit to promote themselves). It's a lack of creativity and inventiveness on everyone's parts: am I saying that the solution is cutting deals with streaming services for production and then getting distribution locally if possible on local digital substations? No. But that could be part of larger solutions to make people more aware of what is going on regionally and to make grassroots racing more popular and commercially sustainable.

There needs to be collective action to create and maintain outlets and instead a lot of facilities are still acting as though FloSports or Racing America are keeping paying customers from paying the gate admission rather than see them as what they are (a conduit to promote themselves).

FloRacing is definitely keeping fans at home though. That's not to say FloRacing is a bad thing and I'm not blaming them for attendance woes. There are pros and cons to streaming. The revenue that comes in from putting your races on Flo is not insignificant. Some of these tracks are getting thousands, even tens of thousands, per race, so that more than makes up for lost ticket sales.

The problem is, and this is what promoters don't understand, FloRacing is keeping fans at home even if your races aren't being streamed.

Where streaming really hurts is, if you have a touring series, they get 100% of the TV money, and there's an 80% chance of rain when you wake up on race morning. You've already got people staying home because of the weather threat, and you're now adding even more people staying home because they can watch on Flo.

FloRacing is definitely keeping fans at home though. That's not to say FloRacing is a bad thing and I'm not blaming them for attendance woes. There are pros and cons to streaming. The revenue that comes in from putting your races on Flo is not insignificant. Some of these tracks are getting thousands, even tens of thousands, per race, so that more than makes up for lost ticket sales.

The problem is, and this is what promoters don't understand, FloRacing is keeping fans at home even if your races aren't being streamed.

Where streaming really hurts is, if you have a touring series, they get 100% of the TV money, and there's an 80% chance of rain when you wake up on race morning. You've already got people staying home because of the weather threat, and you're now adding even more people staying home because they can watch on Flo.
But streaming also helps because some people like myself see a track on Flo and watch the racing so when I'm traveling I go check it out in person.

That's even worse for dirt racing. Put a slight chance of rain in the forecast and people make other plans because they assume a rain out.

But streaming also helps because some people like myself see a track on Flo and watch the racing so when I'm traveling I go check it out in person.

Agreed.

Pros and cons.

Streaming can also help with car counts because a lot of racecar drivers have egos that can eclipse Mt. Everest and they love to go back and watch their races.

There's a bar next to (using the southern measurement for next to😅) my house and sometimes, some of our racers will go in there and put replays of their races or put CARS Tour races on in there.

That's even worse for dirt racing. Put a slight chance of rain in the forecast and people make other plans because they assume a rain out.

Killed us with the CARS Tour. 80% chance of rain, even though I knew it wouldn't rain a drop. So many people stayed home because their ****en iPhone said it was going to rain. (We do tier parking and most of the fans were there, but you couldn't see that on TV.)

These f'ing useless ass smartphone crap apps, when you load them, first show the forecast high/low and say 80% chance of rain. It could be an 80% chance from 2am-3am, but that's what it's going to say and it scares fans away.

Just my last 0.02 on this specific subtopic: the pros of having something on live video streaming that anyone can watch in the country is just that. You have live telecasts anyone can watch. That also means you can have taped telecasts people can watch. If I were a promoter, I would work out a deal to get my weekly action on Flo or Dirtvision edited down to 2 hours and get it on a digital subchannel on, I dunno, Wednesday at 8PM or something. Use it to promote your weekly guys, use it to promote upcoming events, try and meet people where they are by using targeted advertisements on social media about the free telecasts, and also drive people towards your streaming partner. I'm not saying this is easy or that it would be super quick to have done, but it is plausible and would require not that much investment beyond what has already been made. It's not unlike seeing the Waterford Speedbowl appear on cable access at one point when I was a youngin'.

At the end of the day, streaming is exposure, and race tracks have been really really bad about getting exposure outside their existing customer bases for a long time. That exposure isn't just for their product, it's for the sponsors that pay to keep the lights on and fund the purses and it creates a downward spiral.

Just my last 0.02 on this specific subtopic: the pros of having something on live video streaming that anyone can watch in the country is just that. You have live telecasts anyone can watch. That also means you can have taped telecasts people can watch. If I were a promoter, I would work out a deal to get my weekly action on Flo or Dirtvision edited down to 2 hours and get it on a digital subchannel on, I dunno, Wednesday at 8PM or something. Use it to promote your weekly guys, use it to promote upcoming events, try and meet people where they are by using targeted advertisements on social media about the free telecasts, and also drive people towards your streaming partner. I'm not saying this is easy or that it would be super quick to have done, but it is plausible and would require not that much investment beyond what has already been made. It's not unlike seeing the Waterford Speedbowl appear on cable access at one point when I was a youngin'.

At the end of the day, streaming is exposure, and race tracks have been really really bad about getting exposure outside their existing customer bases for a long time. That exposure isn't just for their product, it's for the sponsors that pay to keep the lights on and fund the purses and it creates a downward spiral.

Video replays of races, live coverage, and other video content is a point of emphasis for me:

And fools will ask, “Why do you still watch?”
It’s because nobody else has stock car racing. That doesn’t mean that what we see is good. It means that it’s all that we have.

I live in a small town with one restaurant that is owned by imbeciles and serves bad food. Someone asked me why I keep patronizing the place and I told them “that it’s all we have.” He looked at me like I was nuts! I can’t blame him.

I’m a fossil so I can’t say what would make more people Nascar fans. I do think actually taking someone to the track would be a good beginning though. I’ve been to the track and seen great races but when I watched a replay it wasn’t nearly as good. Only my 2 cents.

Dale Earnhardt was also a once in a generation marketing genius who convinced Gordon to play it up. The irony is that Gordon is Hendrick's right hand man and has seemingly forgotten how Earnhardt's ideas benefited his career. Earnhardt fans HATED Gordon and vice versa, it was a great time to be a fan. Instead of shutting down Ross, Hendrick should have told his drivers to lean into the rivalry. People like drama and rivalries are an inherent part of sport.

Like him or not (and I dislike him in a "love to hate" kind of not), Kyle Busch was good for the sport because he gave fans a villain to root against and he leaned into it.
Big difference. Dale Earnhardt was an extremely relatable, likeable blue collar villain. Kyle Busch is not, and neither is Denny. Chastain is the only guy I see that MIGHT be able to pull that off, but it's going to take a LOT more than three Cup wins to pull it off. An unlikable villain is worse than no villain at all.

Big difference. Dale Earnhardt was an extremely relatable, likeable blue collar villain. Kyle Busch is not, and neither is Denny. Chastain is the only guy I see that MIGHT be able to pull that off, but it's going to take a LOT more than three Cup wins to pull it off. An unlikable villain is worse than no villain at all.

I would argue that Dale was the working class hero rising up against pretty boy Jeff Gordon and his corporate machine, Hendrick Motorsports. And that was the genius of the Earnhardt/Gordon rivalry - it was a Rorschach test but it was so damn effective. Earnhardt and Gordon played up the rivalry, which really helped sell it

That doesn't explain millennials not watching anymore though.

When I was in high school, and not in the Confederate States of America🙄, NASCAR was THE thing. Almost everyone where Dale Jr or Kevin Harvick coats at school.

It says more about the fanbase and the media than you think.

Reporter after reporter trashed the 2017 Daytona 500 in columns and on Twitter for the sole fact that Chase Elliott ran out of gas. If he had won that race, it would've been "the greatest Daytona 500" since Dale won. We've had commentators on network broadcasts lobby NASCAR on the air to manipulate the outcome of a race for Chase Elliott to make up for Rainbowghazi.

Agree with this, but I also don't think people realize the immense pressure Bubba deals with. It's hard to tune it out. Because of something he had nothing to do with, he became public enemy no. 1 for the conservative media machine. The President of the United States, at the time, literally woke up one morning, got on his golden ****ter, pulled up Twitter, and ****mouthed the man because he felt like it. The most-watched cable network in America trashes him, out of the blue, at least once a month. And that's not even touching social media.

I'm sure the dude would like to go out and race like the other 35 drivers and not have to deal with this crap.

Kyle Larson doesn't have to answer for HIS OWN ACTIONS every single week. And Noah Gragson is in line for a promotion after that little kerfuffle. Kyle Larson and Noah Gragson don't wake up to tweets from President Biden ****mouthing them and blaming them for the decline of America. They don't see segments about them on MSNBC and how they've single-handedly killed sports and entertainment in America. They don't have very influential professional instigators trying to unleash mobs on them.
People that had come up with the old NASCAR, didn't take kindly to the changes made in the early 2000's. They stopped watching. They also stopped cultivating new fans and a gap opened. It's damn hard to fill a gap once it opens. When I was growing up in Indiana, IU basketball and Notre Dame football RULED THE STATE. Sports shows would devote entire shows to JUST those two programs. Every time Bobby Knight passed gas, it made the state news. But you know what? Go about twenty years of being mediocre at best, and a LOT of those people melt away. Now, the prime demographic audience has absolutely no recollection of either program being particularly relevant, so they could mostly care less.

It's not Chase Elliott's fault the media fawns all over him. They do that solely to pander to his fan base. Nothing he can do about that. In candid moments, even Dale Jr. well let it slip that even though he hates certain aspects of the sport, he's ALL in for it if it helps the media side of his life, the playoffs ranking near the very top of the list. I find that pathetically sad. As for Bubba's issues, if NASCAR wasn't so utterly incompetent, Donald Trump would have never known Bubba's name. And, if you want to be an icon, you better grow some thicker skin.

People that had come up with the old NASCAR, didn't take kindly to the changes made in the early 2000's. They stopped watching. They also stopped cultivating new fans and a gap opened. It's damn hard to fill a gap once it opens. When I was growing up in Indiana, IU basketball and Notre Dame football RULED THE STATE. Sports shows would devote entire shows to JUST those two programs. Every time Bobby Knight passed gas, it made the state news. But you know what? Go about twenty years of being mediocre at best, and a LOT of those people melt away. Now, the prime demographic audience has absolutely no recollection of either program being particularly relevant, so they could mostly care less.

It's not Chase Elliott's fault the media fawns all over him. They do that solely to pander to his fan base. Nothing he can do about that. In candid moments, even Dale Jr. well let it slip that even though he hates certain aspects of the sport, he's ALL in for it if it helps the media side of his life, the playoffs ranking near the very top of the list. I find that pathetically sad. As for Bubba's issues, if NASCAR wasn't so utterly incompetent, Donald Trump would have never known Bubba's name. And, if you want to be an icon, you better grow some thicker skin.
The sport was at its height of popularity in 2006. The Chase and many of the other changes already existed at the time.

I think the COT and Fox/ESPN are the two biggest contributors here, followed by Jimmie Johnson, and the recession.

Watching NASCAR on TV was a tedious exercise from 2007-2010.

In my view,I think this thread is a much to do about nothing. As a kid I was always drawn to racing for the speed aspect of it, the cup cars of the late 80’s and early 90’s were knarly beasts, that were tamed by hero’s who were larger than life. The drivers supreme driving talent were what made them hero’s, everything else just kind of followed. I never cared much for “driver personality”, the racing aspect hooked me. A lot of the world is ending here and I can’t figure why. A new tv deal is signed, a street race was a success, we’re getting a short track on the west coast, an iconic track was literally raised from the dead, a fan favorite just won the Cup…there’s a lot of good happening now. I think raising the HP can attract the new fans you’re searching for but car culture in kids isn’t what it was when I was growing up and really isn’t even when my dad was a kid in the 60’s and 70’s so maybe raising speed isn’t it but I think it’d be a start.

^ pretty much this. I think we're about the same age (I'm 37) so I'm not surprised our viewpoints are aligned

NASCAR was huge when millennials were in high school but ultimately it ended up being a fad. NASCAR thought the fad would last and made projections based on that. NASCAR also made some boneheaded decisions at their peak that people forget about because they just yell "PLAYOFFS BAD!" as an excuse for everything.

At its peak, NASCAR got rid of the Southern 500, gave second races to some of the most boring tracks on the circuit (Texas, Fontana), and introduced the COT (which produced ****** racing in its first couple of years).

Better decision making would have resulted in more sustained popularity. NASCAR didn't realize that people liked the sport as it was. Taking away popular tracks in favor of duds wasn't going to retain people and introducing a car that raced like a brick was the nail in the coffin. The issue isn't that NASCAR chased away its old fans, it's that it did little to keep the younger fanbase they had in the early-mid 2000s.

We need to get rid of the overemphasis on winning AND the winner take all finale. The biggest flaw in the system (and luckily no one has exploited it to this level yet) is that you can be dog **** for the entire season but if you just win a race in every round, you can overcome your playoff point deficit.

^ this too. I think NASCAR has made a lot of good decisions in the post-Brian France era, but it's hard to undo years of bad choices overnight.

^ I think that's inevitable, unless the auto manufacturers suddenly decide to start making coupes/sedans again

I recently said this in another thread, and I think some of it might apply here......

I mean, other than the obvious stuff, like putting out a decent product........

They need to do something like F1 with the Netflix documentary. There needs to be a lot more coverage of the drivers and their personalities. There needs to be more insight, more drama, more "behind closed doors" stuff. Other than the Dale Jr Download, what do we get?

Get involved with more movies, like they did with Talladega Nights and Cars. From a media perspective, do whatever they can to get eyeballs. More ads on Youtube. More commercials on TV. There just isn't much exposure.

Go walk down the toy aisle at any store and see if there's any NASCAR diecasts. If you're lucky, there MIGHT be a few J-hooks with a half dozen options. IMO, that is absolutely unacceptable. And how come there's no NASCAR apparel in the clothing section at Walmart?

NASCAR needs to get way more involved with the TV broadcasts. Find out what people do and don't like about Fox/NBC, and tell the networks to adjust accordingly. Right now, the tail is wagging the dog.

Why isn't NASCAR doing a better job of connecting with the local short tracks? What happened to that "roots" stuff with the "my home track" or whatever they called it? Why aren't they doing more to promote this?

More PR stuff with drivers and crew members attending "fan day" type of events. I don't care if it's at the track or a race shop or your local Applebees.

Most importantly, they need to incentivize getting kids to a NASCAR race. There should be more promos for family ticket packages, kids under 16 get in for free, whatever it takes. I know they do a little of this already, but they need to step it up a notch. It should be a lot easier for hardcore race fans to get their children interested in NASCAR.

That's just a start. I have a ton of ideas, but unfortunately I'm not on NASCAR's payroll. But most of this stuff is just common sense

Back
Top Bottom