SILLY SEASON 2019

I wasn't replying to you. I was challenging Corey Mason's citing of unidentified Twitter and Reddit posts as 'sources'.

I have no problem with being unable to release names, as long as the poster at least acknowledges it. I may (or may not) believe the poster, but that's better than not understanding what a source is. Unidentifiable forum participants aren't sources.
I said its stuff I heard and basically came here to see if there was any truth. Totally regret that train of thought. I showed you were I heard it from.. wasn't that the main issue? I came here and brought this up to see if THERE WAS VALIDITY, not saying THIS IS HAPPENING. How more clear do I have to make this?

Why would manufacturers spend big bucks to join a series that has ongoing attendance, TV viewership, and sponsor challenges? Not hating, just stating the facts that we all know.

In contrast to this rumor, I see various manufacturers planning more vehicles that are electric or run on some alternative fuel. How does jumping into NASCAR complement those plans?

Pretty sure you are seeing what happens when the ratings crater. The drivers who cost too much are kicked to the curb, teams that win championships have trouble getting sponsorship money, tracks keep yanking out seats, and the field gets smaller. The ratings slide can no longer be hidden. I'm thinking this is the start of all the downsizing and cost cutting.

It's ridiculous how worked up a couple of you are getting.. I said its stuff I heard and basically came here to see if there was any truth. Totally regret that train of thought. I showed you were I heard it from.. wasn't that the main issue? I came here and brought this up to see if THERE WAS VALIDITY, not saying THIS IS HAPPENING. How more clear do I have to make this?

I think you are the one yelling and screaming . :idunno:

Yea b.c it's aggravating that I came here to see if this stuff was true, and instead I get made out to be this **** starter who is trying to fuel/create "rumors". Am I wrong about that? Thats what you and others were assuming I was doing?

If the motivation was money, it didn't work from JGR. They didn't make more money; they're down the $5M they would have received before they upped the price.

You're thinking short-term. Long term is that the other team isn't a competitor for the same sponsorship money, isn't a competitor for Toyota money/information, isn't a competitor for a driver causing the salary to go up in a bidding war, etc because they are either off the board completely or they have been handicapped to a 2nd or lower level team.

Long term is that the other team isn't a competitor for the same sponsorship money, isn't a competitor for Toyota money/information, isn't a competitor for a driver causing the salary to go up in a bidding war, etc because they are either off the board completely or they have been handicapped to a 2nd or lower level team.

Good point. I hadn't thought of it in just that way. But it COULD be a way to cut down on the competition.

hell Jones isn't in the clear either. I know I sure wouldn't want to be in Hamlin's, Suarez's OR Jones shoes.

You mean the drivers who haven't won a championship? LMAO

Gibbs is about winning. That's what drives him. Now of this of kicking drivers who can't win a championship, or become too expensive taking resources away from a team that does should come as a surprise to anyone at the Cup level.

yeah I figured out right quick he was an Edwards whisperer and then he said Nissian was coming to cup and I thought he might be a little touched.

Interesting comment and not in a good way.

You mean the drivers who haven't won a championship? LMAO

Gibbs is about winning. That's what drives him. Now of this of kicking drivers who can't win a championship, or become too expensive taking resources away from a team that does should come as a surprise to anyone at the Cup level.
neither Jones or Suarez combined has come close to matching Kenseth's record at Gibbs. He ain't winning.

neither Jones or Suarez combined has come close to matching Kenseth's record at Gibbs. He ain't winning.

How long ago was that Championship he won? How much did his contract eat up resources that could be spent elsewhere when compared to the newer driver's contracts? Business decisions in a shrinking marketplace, plain and simple.

The reference was to some anonymous twitter user --- not a member.
I read the twitter feed --- some strange comments.

I guess a member of your family isn't mentally challenged or physically challenged. (Yes, I do have a member of my family that is mentally challenged). You might view comments like that a bit differently if that was the case. Society has kind of moved on beyond that being an acceptable comment to make in reference to a person's mental abilities.

despite all of he hooplah about plug in cars, they aren't selling. Despite all of the deathbed, Nascar continues to be the number 1 sporting event of the weekend most of the time until football season. Number 1 hands down over all of the televised racing series.

I didn't say NASCAR is even close to dying. :rolleyes: I simply pointed out the fact that attendance and TV viewing are declining. So, perhaps the sport is not so attractive to corporate marketing and bean-counter types.

As for electric cars, sales are increasing, though maybe not in your town. I'm sure horses continued to outsell cars for quite awhile after cars first came on the market. ;) http://www.iea.org/tcep/transport/evs/

Yes, I do have some family, but the word "touched" could refer to me on occasions, or to almost anyone. I've seen people lose their minds
over a parking space -- I consider them a bit touched.

Eh. I personally think Ricky is a good driver and doing a good job.

He is coming to life since breaking with Danica. We'll see if he gets a shot in good equipment. Tony Stewart was real high on Stenhouse way back when, but I doubt he gets a ride at SHR.

Yes, I do have some family, but the word "touched" could refer to me on occasions, or to almost anyone. I've seen people lose their minds
over a parking space -- I consider them a bit touched.

Hey, its an open forum and searchable via search engines. Again, interesting as I'm getting a clearing picture of what is allowable and when on this forum.

How long ago was that Championship he won? How much did his contract eat up resources that could be spent elsewhere when compared to the newer driver's contracts? Business decisions in a shrinking marketplace, plain and simple.
where did you read championship in my post? I said Kenseth's record at Gibbs

where did you read championship in my post? I said Kenseth's record at Gibbs

The post you quoted was in reference to the only thing that matters is championships at Gibbs in the shrinking sponsorship market that now exists in NASCAR due to the cratering ratings and low attendance at the tracks. Gibbs isn't a dumb guy. He sees what's on the horizon and already at his doorstep. He's doing what he's doing to keep what he built alive, viable, and at the same level it is today. He doesn't have Penske or Haas wealth. None of what he's doing should come as a surprise to anyone.

The post you quoted was in reference to the only thing that matters is championships at Gibbs in the shrinking sponsorship market that now exists in NASCAR due to the cratering ratings and low attendance at the tracks. Gibbs isn't a dumb guy. He sees what's on the horizon and already at his doorstep. He's doing what he's doing to keep what he built alive, viable, and at the same level it is today. He doesn't have Penske or Haas wealth. None of what he's doing should come as a surprise to anyone.
I think you may be confused I posted this

He's got a guy in the 18 car that's winning this year, and won a championship in 2015. What year was Kenseth's championship again? BTW, smart phones were introduced after Kenseth won his last championship. The other two guys are new and cost a lot less.

i wonder how much money jgr has spend on development drivers, that they dont have room for?i hope bell will find a good ride away from jgr.

He's got a guy in the 18 car that's winning this year, and won a championship in 2015. What year was Keneth's championship again? BTW, smart phones were introduced after Kenseth won his last championship. The other two guys are new and cost a lot less.
again I was talking about Kenseth's record at Gibbs compared to Suarez and Jones combined. 15 wins, 55 top 5's and 98 top 10's

Again, it doesn't matter to what I was talking about? Championships, and cash flow. Its about taking resources that were tide up in a over inflated salary from a day in NASCAR history that doesn't exist. Gibbs made a business decision based upon cash flow.

The two you keep throwing out there are new, cost less, and more than likely will do things for the sponsor that new guys don't have issues with doing compared to the old salty guy whose been in the sport 2 decades. Nope, just a guess.

Based upon what you want to chat about we'd have to say that Trevor Bayne and Kenseth are at the same level of driving skill this year. Ain't like Matt's been setting the world on fire compared to where Trevor was finishing in the same equipment. With that in mind, maybe Gibbs made the right choice.

He's got a guy in the 18 car that's winning this year, and won a championship in 2015. What year was Kenseth's championship again? BTW, smart phones were introduced after Kenseth won his last championship. The other two guys are new and cost a lot less.

I could see your point if we were talking about a driver making a lot of money and not producing, like Kahne at Hendrick, but Kenseth WAS producing. It made sense for Hendrick to dump Kahne, and replace him with a driver with upside potential, works for a lot less, and is getting basically the same results on the track for now, but that scenario does not apply to Kenseth. Ultimately, does it matter how cheap they will work for if they are not winning races and competing for championships?

yeah bud you got it going on. I know none of the salaries anybody had, they didn't tell me anyway. But two flailing teams with two drivers and crews to slep around isn't my idea of cash flow. Gibbs said it was a lack of sponsorship problem, not a peep about salary, his other excuse was when Carl bailed it upset his applecart. Jones is using all of Kenseth's sponsors years later. Me thinks Gibbs isn't that great of a businessman, going to three cars and keeping Kenseth I believe he would be money ahead. If he is cutting Barney's throat like he has done in the past, it is a small world in the racing fraternity.

Umm, maybe I do and maybe I don't. However, I don't take the press releases that a team generates and swallow it down like you do. Gibbs said this, Gibbs said that...lol. Dude, its called spin.

The sponsors seemed to have stayed after the driver in question left. Maybe at a reduced rate but then again the guys driving that car didn't cost as much as the old guy either.

BTW, I've got to chuckle at the fact that you didn't want any part of the Bayne comparison. If you'd have weighed in on that you might have had to say that Gibbs was correct and with your dislike for him that would be one hard pill for you to swallow.

Umm, maybe I do and maybe I don't. However, I don't take the press releases that a team generates and swallow it down like you do. Gibbs said this, Gibbs said that...lol. Dude, its called spin.

The sponsors seemed to have stayed after the driver in question left. Maybe at a reduced rate but then again the guys driving that car didn't cost as much as the old guy either.

BTW, I've got to chuckle at the fact that you didn't want any part of the Bayne comparison. If you'd have weighed in on that you might have had to say that Gibbs was correct and with your dislike for him that would be one hard pill for you to swallow.

And they weren't press releases they were Gibbs himself saying it. And BTW he lost subway a big one because of Suarez, so once again two instead of keeping one good one has proven to not be the greatest thing for cash flow.

I could see your point if we were talking about a driver making a lot of money and not producing, like Kahne at Hendrick, but Kenseth WAS producing. It made sense for Hendrick to dump Kahne, and replace him with a driver with upside potential, works for a lot less, and is getting basically the same results on the track for now, but that scenario does not apply to Kenseth. Ultimately, does it matter how cheap they will work for if they are not winning races and competing for championships?

Maybe it has to do with the facts that ratings are down, and the ROI isn't there for the sponsors. Maybe they are seeking to lower their investment in the sport. Thus, giving a new driver a chance who cost a whole lot less is the new world we live in. To not see that the world of NASCAR has changed is kind of unusual. Lots of new drivers suddenly in the seats. There must have been a reason for that, don't you think?

. And they weren't press releases they were Gibbs himself saying it.

Gosh and a team owner should always be listened to and taken at face value? That sounds like what the NASCAR (cough, cough) press does. No way that a team owner might shape a narrative into something that is more palatable to keep the fans, and the sponsors happy, right? Wow.

Still ain't going to touch that Bayne/Kenseth comparison...LOL.

Gosh and a team owner should always be listened to and taken at face value? That sounds like what the NASCAR (cough, cough) press does. No way that a team owner might shape a narrative into something that is more palatable to keep the fans, and the sponsors happy, right? Wow.

Still ain't going to touch that Bayne/Kenseth comparison...LOL.
Gibbs lied his ass off, I don't know about anybody else,

Still ain't going to touch that Bayne/Kenseth comparison...LOL.[/Q
I would say that results between Kenseth and Bayne is because they are both driving a lousy car, and going as fast as it will go. If Matt and I raced my lawn mower around the yard, I would be just as fast as him. Put us in a race car and Matt kicks my butt by a factor of about 100. Put Matt and Trevor in the 20, and I'll bet Matt wipes the floor with him. The same reason Jimmie Johnson and Alex Bowman are getting similar results, the car.

Last edited:
Gibbs lied his ass off, I don't know about anybody else,

Still a no show in Bayne/Kenseth...lol.

Oh, and on the bending the truth thing...maybe other owners, crew chiefs, drivers have bent things a bit in the past? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that never happens...lol. Well, maybe in your world it only happens when Gibbs is involved, who knows?

Still a no show in Bayne/Kenseth...lol.

Oh, and on the bending the truth thing...maybe other owners, crew chiefs, drivers have bent things a bit in the past? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, that never happens...lol. Well, maybe in your world it only happens when Gibbs is involved, who knows?
I have no idea what you are talking about with Bayne or Kenseth come in?

I would say that results between Kenseth and Bayne is because they are both driving a lousy car, and going as fast as it will go. If Matt and I raced my lawn mower around the yard, I would be just as fast as him. Put us in a race car and Matt kicks my butt by a factor of about 100. Put Matt and Trevor in the 20, and I'll bet Matt wipes the floor with him.

The results have been almost the same. If Kenseth is the better driver then he should be able to take same equipment and produce better results. Doing that is what get's younger drivers noticed and rides.

Back
Top Bottom