NASCAR Death Bed

The more I read the last several pages of this thread the more it becomes clear that the intent is to get the thread locked. It is a very funny read though.

Ask me if I care or if I'm impressed? You were a spotter for Jimmy Spencer, big deal, that does not in any way qualify you as an expert at anything.

A guy that is actively involved in the sport most definitely would have a better perspective of the behind the scenes goings on. More so than a casual fan. A person that is actually at the track week in and week out would have access to what's going on more than I would. So yeah, Spotters take has more credibility than someone who has never had " hands on" experience.

A guy that is actively involved in the sport most definitely would have a better perspective of the behind the scenes goings on. More so than a casual fan. A person that is actually at the track week in and week out would have access to what's going on more than I would. So yeah, Spotters take has more credibility than someone who has never had " hands on" experience.

Maybe, but the way things are trending, i.e., streaming, there won't be many people at events in the future. Streaming is the future and why the media companies are building their own platforms to do it for their content. That's why Disney is building their own and the properties that other people have under contract is being pulled back under their umbrella so they can stream it themselves.

Maybe, but the way things are trending, i.e., streaming, there won't be many people at events in the future. Streaming in the future and why the media companies are building their own platforms to do it for their content. That's why Disney is building their own and the properties that other people have under contract is being pulled back under their umbrella so they can stream it themselves.

That's gonna be a tough hill to climb for NASCAR, maybe spectator sports in general. It will be interesting to see how they navigate it.

That's gonna be a tough hill to climb for NASCAR, maybe spectator sports in general. It will be interesting to see how they navigate it.

I think you'll have to a system that allows the person who is streaming to be the director. To be able to pull up any and all camera angles and audio. If a debris caution flies then they'd better be able to show that object. The streamer gets to pick what angles to watch or just follow one car. Complex for the user but once you got it down you'd be watching only what you want to watch during the race. I'd pay for that type of race experience.

I think you'll have to a system that allows the person who is streaming to be the director. To be able to pull up any and all camera angles and audio. If a debris caution flies then they'd better be able to show that object. The streamer gets to pick what angles to watch or just follow one car. Complex for the user but once you got it down you'd be watching only what you want to watch during the race. I'd pay for that type of race experience.

What you describe sounds interesting and it is a great shame so many have exited the series and won’t avail themselves of it.

What I'm curious about is this? How does NASCAR make this profitable? And I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I do believe the brass at Daytona are on top of all ways possible to sell their product, and attract new viewers. I love the good old days when I could park in front of the TV, dial up TNN, and listen to Buddy and Eli. It was so much simpler then.

It would be interesting to know if FS1 and NBCS were able to raise rates charged to entities that carried its product.

Is it possible that Nascar could hit another home run with the next broadcast deal despite being a declining property? Nothing would surprise me.

It would be interesting to know if FS1 and NBCS were able to raise rates charged to entities that carried its product.

Is it possible that Nascar could hit another home run with the next broadcast deal despite being a declining property? Nothing would surprise me.
How?

The way I see it is that Nascar hit the jackpot with the current deal as it was a declining property with no serious bidding competition

Anything is possible as Netflix, YouTube or another unconventional platform may pay stupid money in the next go round.

The way I see it is that Nascar hit the jackpot with the current deal as it was a declining property with no serious bidding competition

Anything is possible as Netflix, YouTube or another unconventional platform may pay stupid money in the next go round.
If it goes that route , expect drivers to exit in droves because the contracts and purse money will shrink.

Networks have been ridiculously over-paying for broadcast rights to various sports for many years now, which is one of the reasons they are in the mess they are in, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that somebody will continue to over-pay, especially if they lose out on other properties. All of these sports networks have to have SOMETHING to show, and as badly as NASCAR has fallen, it is probably STILL ahead of 90% of the stuff they cover. My guess is that by the time the TV contract comes up, the exodus will stabilize somewhat and will be less of an issue than it is now. Does that mean they will get what they are getting now? I doubt it, but how much less an open question.

Networks have been ridiculously over-paying for broadcast rights to various sports for many years now, which is one of the reasons they are in the mess they are in, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that somebody will continue to over-pay, especially if they lose out on other properties. All of these sports networks have to have SOMETHING to show, and as badly as NASCAR has fallen, it is probably STILL ahead of 90% of the stuff they cover. My guess is that by the time the TV contract comes up, the exodus will stabilize somewhat and will be less of an issue than it is now. Does that mean they will get what they are getting now? I doubt it, but how much less an open question.

Nascar could find several interested parties during the next go round. It is possible that they could end up on the Mayberry RFD network or maybe start their own channel. The title sponsorship model blew up very quickly going from 75 million a year to 20 million to no longer being viable.

Nascar and things around Nascar change rapidly. I agree that it is highly unlikely that Nascar will get similar dollars in the next broadcast deal. Delivering a much smaller audience each year and and one that is rapidly aging is not a good formula for success. However there is no way I would categorically state Nascar is on the ledge in terms of its next broadcast deal.

Realists understand that there are many challenges including a very old fan base and a drastically shrinking audience. You can cut costs to the bone but if people are not enthused with your product they won’t consume it.

heh heh heh now he thinks he has labels in his make believe world.

I don’t think Johnny Thomas was using any labels but just issuing a beware. From what you have said I know you don’t think dreadful attendance is a problem. It is the same thing with almost 800k viewers less watching this year. It is not a problem as NASCAR is the most popular Motorsport and can afford to lose a few fans. Eat, drink and be merry as all is well and it will remain that way in perpetuity.

I don’t think Johnny Thomas was using any labels but just issuing a beware. From what you have said I know you don’t think dreadful attendance is a problem. It is the same thing with almost 800k viewers less watching this year. It is not a problem as NASCAR is the most popular Motorsport and can afford to lose a few fans. Eat, drink and be merry as all is well and it will remain that way in perpetuity.

eh you have some of it correct. Nascar is the number one racing series in the U.S. and it continues to show a profit as an organization. That is the true part.

I would Imagine NASCAR knows that attendance and Viewership is off which is why they are working to come up with a solution,but my question is why do you think its neccasary to say it over and over on this board to the same people? We already know the numbers and we know it upsets you tremendously, so no need to tell us 5 , 6 times a day.

I would Imagine NASCAR knows that attendance and Viewership is off which is why they are working to come up with a solution,but my question is why do you think its neccasary to say it over and over on this board to the same people? We already know the numbers and we know it upsets you tremendously, so no need to tell us 5 , 6 times a day.

I had to make sure I was on the deathbed thread and was relieved I was.

A suggestion I have would be for someone to start a thread that was the opposite of this where all the good things going on in and around Nascar can be discussed

I had to make sure I was on the deathbed thread and was relieved I was. With this being the deathbed thread negative and unpleasant aspects of Nascar will be discussed early and often. The best thing for apologists to do would be to just ignore this thread as I don’t think there would be anything on it they would like.

A suggestion I have would be for someone to start a thread that was the opposite of this where all the good things going on in and around Nascar can be discussed
Thats didnt answer my question, you repeat it like you arent being heard, we heard you.

Thats didnt answer my question, you repeat it like you arent being heard, we heard you.

I wish I could give you a direct answer to your question as it is more than fair. Unfortunately I cannot answer as it would be really inappropriate and cause mega problems

I don’t think this story qualifies as deathbed news in and of itself but in perspective it is a textbook deathbed story.

A championship and race winning team has to close down and some investor purchases its charter. The new team has a number but no sponsors, drivers or infrastructure.

In today’s Nascar this event qualifies as good news in some quarters.

It’s news. Disseminated here, which is the purpose of the forum.

Whether or not it’s good news is a matter of opinion.

I don’t think this story qualifies as deathbed news in and of itself but in perspective it is a textbook deathbed story.

It's good news to me, and that's all that matters.

A championship and race winning team has to close down and some investor purchases its charter. The new team has a number but no sponsors, drivers or infrastructure.

How do you know what they have? It will be announced when they are ready.

How do you know what they have? It will be announced when they are ready.

They could be negotiating with an mystery phenom driver and a deep pocketed sponsor. They may have a technical alliance with HMS and run out of a shop on Papa Joe. I admit all that is possible.

I will have to keep an eye on the 77 next year in order to see how they perform.

They could be negotiating with an mystery phenom driver and a deep pocketed sponsor. They may have a technical alliance with HMS and run out of a shop on Papa Joe. I admit all that is possible.

I will have to keep an eye on the 77 next year in order to see how they perform.

" They could be", in other words, as usual, you dont have a clue, or know anymore than anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom